Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a cooker hood

Options
  • 01-05-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time posting here so go easy on me.

I have a cooker hood I want to install, there's a loop left by an electrician above where it should go, and there's also an open junction box to the side which would be covered by the hood as shown here:

cooker_hood_slot.jpg

The hood itself is socketless so I believe that means I need to have a dual-pole FCU to isolate it. Is this right?

Is it okay for the FCU to be above the hood, or does it have to be in an easily accessible? My understanding is the requirement is there to allow isolation during maintenance, therefore so long as the switch can be accessed it's okay.

Finally, I don't see any reason not to run the FCU off the loop left there, I'm guessing that was the intention of the spark who left it there. The fact the junction box is exposed though has confused me though, I was just going to put a blank plate over this. Is there anything else I should do?

junction_box.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First of all welcome to the electrical forum!
    The hood itself is socketless so I believe that means I need to have a dual-pole FCU to isolate it. Is this right?

Often cooker extracts such as this are simply pluged in. They are isolated by unpluging. A switched fused spur outlet would be a better job IMHO. Double pole is generally considered to be better.
    Is it okay for the FCU to be above the hood, or does it have to be in an easily accessible? My understanding is the requirement is there to allow isolation during maintenance, therefore so long as the switch can be accessed it's okay.
    Above the hood is fine once it is reasnobly accessible. If someone were to carry out maintenance on it they should be able to spot the isolation device and use it easily.
    Finally, I don't see any reason not to run the FCU off the loop left there, I'm guessing that was the intention of the spark who left it there. The fact the junction box is exposed though has confused me though, I was just going to put a blank plate over this. Is there anything else I should do?

You can't just go connecting loads to random cables. You need more information such as:
    1) How many points are on the circuit
    2) What size load is on the circuit
    3) Is the circuit properly protected (CPC, MCB etc. )
    4) Is the cable suitable

Why not talk to your sparks?

Good luck with it!

Advertisement