Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is college closed today?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 1:40pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

What a load of bollocks, thank god im getting out of this place soon this wouldnt happen in any other supposedly reputable college in the world. Because its a bank holiday the place is closed on a Saturday, two weeks before exams. Lazy library staff and inept administration is what this smacks of. Why is this just accepted? Wheres our supposed SU now when something like this happens? Off organising events? **** you very much DIT.
    /rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

What college was closed today? I went in to Kevin St. and it was grand. A ghost-town, but grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

wixfjord wrote: »
    What a load of bollocks, thank god im getting out of this place soon this wouldnt happen in any other supposedly reputable college in the world. Because its a bank holiday the place is closed on a Saturday, two weeks before exams. Lazy library staff and inept administration is what this smacks of. Why is this just accepted? Wheres our supposed SU now when something like this happens? Off organising events? **** you very much DIT.
    /rant

Do you honestly believe the library or admin have any say in whether the college is open or not??? i think you are blaming the wrong people, go knock on the presidents door on Tuesday. i'm sure he'll give you a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

wixfjord wrote: »
    /rant

Have to agree with you. DIT is a f**king joke! Everything is done half arsed! The likes of the admins and porters are the laziest people I have ever met! You can see the justification behind the public sector pay cuts by spending a day in DIT!

The student union is a joke as well! Remember their campaign to get the library opened for longer hours? Ye, resulted in the library closing earlier! Emailed them for help over results at Christmas...........still waiting for a reply. DIT events are also absolutely terrible. The student union system needs to be totally changed. If I had my way they would paid f**k all.

The college is a joke and cannot be changed by a joke of student union! Thank f**k I’m finished this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 soultrain

really p***ed off today.... came all the way from kildare, place locked up, no notice on door, none on web,people waiting to get in, not even a security man.

this is a joke and the old line "cutbacks" is a cop out....2 weeks before exams! this is NOT laziness, it is INCOMPETENCE. and like other public sectors no-one is accountable.

if cutbacks then why was kevin street open?

I find it astonishing that in the height of a recession the mentality/judgement of our third level institute heads can be so poor!

Bad organisation, Bad communication, Bad management......Shame on you DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

What DIT was closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Ah, c'mon lads. It's not DIT's fault that there are no staff on today or yesterday.
    AFAIK, we can't change the terms of employment for the staff, in addition to the employment embrago.

Sure, remember the whoo-ha over the gym.

I'll agree, it's not great, but I don't think others are open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Ah, c'mon lads. It's not DIT's fault that there are no staff on today or yesterday.
    AFAIK, we can't change the terms of employment for the staff, in addition to the employment embrago.

Sure, remember the whoo-ha over the gym.

I'll agree, it's not great, but I don't think others are open either.

Certainly can!

Other colleges you say?

UCD is definitely open (my girlfriend is there right now!) and the 24 hour, 7 days a week, library in trinity is also definitely open (know people who go to it!). Sure DIT is never open on a Sunday for a start!

So no, the other colleges are not closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sure lads, it'll all be sorted when they move to Grangegorman :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

I was in Aungier Street all day Saturday. It was quiet but it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I was in Aungier on saturday as well and it was open.

Agree with the other posters who say library & admin don't get a say in the decision. Library staff work saturdays regularly, its nothing to do with contracts and everything to do with the cost. The president is the one who decides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I was in Kevin Street at half eight on Saturday morning and everything was open, no problems...

I'm also guessing that the amount of library staff hours needed to run the 24 hour library in Trinity is less than what is needed to keep all of our libraries open the hours they currently are. Sadly we do suffer from being across many sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darth vadar

All college opening times are clearly displayed on the web so if you made an unnecessary journey in without checking then its your own fault. The reason some Libraries were open and some closed is due to the different staffing levels in each. The DIT employ a miserly total of 50 staff to work in their six libraries where as UCD employ 130 to work in their one library. So if you have the points to gain admission to a University you get better facilites or if like me you scrape a place in a Institite of Technology you get a reduced service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

BC wrote: »
    The president is the one who decides.

So, those who are angry should be blaming Brian so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Does the library open during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

So, those who are angry should be blaming Brian so?

Yes. Or at least asking him for an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

And in Kevin Street, the football higlights are always on the TV, and because were nearing the exams, all the hotties have reappeared in the library. Walking around, looking all fine.:p

It's just not fair. damn, somebody...or something...

they open in the summer monday to friday but no nights.

yes Brian as president has to take responsibility. I expect he is probably a nice guy as he is always smiling out at me from the web but then again if I was earning €200,000 per year I would be smiling. The question is do you as president take every opportunity to complain bitterly about lack of staff and resources so gaining the reputation of being difficult which would obviously affect your chances of gaining a promotion to one of the Universities or do you take advantage of every photo shoot to smile broadly and collect your €200,000?. Its all politics and its not going to change.

Advertisement