Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joke Thieves

Options

Comments

Did my first stand up gig in years a week or so before CHristmas and since then I've seen a number o fbits from my set that night appearing near word for word in another comedians act. I've spoke to him about it but he refuses to talk to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Joe Pasquale is a well known joke stealer. Here's Stewart Lee talking about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Frank Skinner said something on it recently.

Marc Maron's WTF recent podcast with Robin Williams goes into the whole joke thief thing, worth a listen if you're a comedy nerd.

3 times in the last month I've heard directly or heard about people doing stuff I wrote on stage, but that's just a freak thing I think, it's happened before but not so consistently. And I am not well (or at all) known so I imagine it happens to other people a lot.

And then there are well known people who do it, those who prefer success over standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

What bits? just out of curiousity. Is it the one "comedian" who is borrowing your material?

QUOTE=Deleted User;65678409]Did my first stand up gig in years a week or so before CHristmas and since then I've seen a number o fbits from my set that night appearing near word for word in another comedians act. I've spoke to him about it but he refuses to talk to me.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funnyman2010

Since I don't do comedy all too often I've been terrified that someone will rip material and use it as their own, I've had a friend record one or two of my sets, at least then I have some sort of proof if ever I have to attack someone over it, but I haven't heard of anybody doing it so far.

Personally, I think if you nick material you're digging your own grave, ultimately you'll never be able to deliver it as well as the person who came up with it. Admittedly I remember when I started doing comedy I was doing an improv show and I dropped a brilliant line that wasn't mine (I had heard it in a stand-up show by an excellent comedian who is rising fairly quickly on the scene) and it didn't get one laugh, not one, I think the audience was even confused because it appeared so out of place. At that stage I didn't know how much of a taboo it was to 'borrow' lines, but after that experience I never did it again anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

There's been a lot of talk on this subject recently; I suppose it's because of that Patton episode.

Three Guys On covered the subject in their most recent podcast, as well as other "dont's" for newbies, and they're three DC comics who I respect, so that's worth a listen.

Advertisement