Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be possible to do a postgrad in law if undergrad is in politics?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi hi,

I was just wondering if anyone here has done a postgrad (maybe a taught masters?) in law with an undergraduate degree in subjects like politics and history? Would it be difficult to convert do you think, or would the knowledge be fairly transferable?

I don't know an awful lot about the practice of law in Ireland, but I've looked at it from a policy-end, and looked at the impact of judgements in the courts on the political culture in Ireland, but know almost nothing about the inner functionings of courts and whatnot. Would that be prerequisite, or would that be taught do you think?

Any advice would be most welcome,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nyattorney

Hi

I did my LLM in TCD. I had studied law at undegraduate but it isnt a pre-requisite. All you need is a high 2:1 to a 1:1 and a good application

Knowledge wise the transition is fairly seemless because almost nothing you will study on an LLM will be related to law school and if it is you will have enough materials on the LLM to cover it all.

Knowledge of the courts etc is meaningless while your studying law because you wont come across that until you begin practice as a Sol. or BL.

One of Irelands most brilliant legal minds (Supreme Court Justice Adrienne Hardiman) never studied law. He studied History in UCD then went to the Bar so there is always a way

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

That's great, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

nyattorney wrote: »
    Hi

I did my LLM in TCD. I had studied law at undegraduate but it isnt a pre-requisite. All you need is a high 2:1 to a 1:1 and a good application

Knowledge wise the transition is fairly seemless because almost nothing you will study on an LLM will be related to law school and if it is you will have enough materials on the LLM to cover it all.

Knowledge of the courts etc is meaningless while your studying law because you wont come across that until you begin practice as a Sol. or BL.

One of Irelands most brilliant legal minds (Supreme Court Justice Adrienne Hardiman) never studied law. He studied History in UCD then went to the Bar so there is always a way

Hi,

I'm in the middle of my undergrad in International Relations at DCU, and was kind of wondering the same thing. I'll have some modules in Law under my belt - 3 in total - but the LLM course descriptor says it requires Law to be a significant component. Not sure if 3 is significant enough. Thinking of my employability after college, so I'm hoping this is the one for me. At the moment, there's a whole load of conditions attached, such as how to pay for it to worry about, and how to support myself. Thanks for any advice you could give me in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

It may vary from LLM to LLM but certainly the LLM I did in TCD did not require an undergraduate degree in Law (I had studied Geography and Planning) and I think the split was probably around 60/40 law/non-law if not closer to 50/50.

At the time, I also looked into the LLM offered at the human rights centre in NUIG, and the social policy and law masters at UCC. Neither of these required law. The same applies to the relatively new LLM in social justice at Maynooth. Your best bet is to have a look at the postgrad prospectus for the different universities and then contact the course co-ordinator for any of the programmes that interest you.

Advertisement