Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home Build?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I am really looking for your thought on wiring for a new build. I would like to be able to control my heating from SMS or if the appliances were wired up, then I could see all the devices from the internet.

What setup could anyone recommend?
    network points, CCTV cameras? some home automation without breaking the bank. maybe a voip phone setup.
    I have seen alot of different options on the net but overwhelmed by the options.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On any jobs like this I would use SigNet 220 for the alarm & home automation.
    All devices connected can be controlled by calendar, time & cause and effect by any zones on the alarm etc.
    The advantag of X10 with the signet is it can be added to over time with no extra wiring.
    For CCTV I would wire on RG59 & Cat 5 for power. The Cat 5 gives you the option to add extra cameras on a twisted pair if need be at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

thank you,

ill look into that. its good that no extra wiring needs to be done.
    Id like the heating and maybe lighting accessed remotely and if I had the CCTV cameras on aswell.
    Ill ring one of the distributors in ireland tomorrow and see what they say also.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

abakan wrote: »
    thank you,

ill look into that. its good that no extra wiring needs to be done.
    Id like the heating and maybe lighting accessed remotely and if I had the CCTV cameras on aswell.
    Ill ring one of the distributors in ireland tomorrow and see what they say also.

Cheers

Hi there,

I have the hkc system and is great but the signet system allows you to do a bit more. you can add a txt module to most systems which may notify you in the event of an alarm. you should prob hav a wire from the front of the building to where you want ur cp..
    Home auto, well you can use the signet or have a seperate act system or something. reguards cctv, use cat5 etc for it, cant tell you much about cctv.

For network points: Its prob easier to have a wireless router and connect it to your broadband modem and connect wrelessly, or if its better to have a socket in rooms use ethernet cable or something and linl them up to the router(s)..

have a nice day and any problems, let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

abakan wrote: »

I responded to post here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055900771

Its a very cheap setup, for around €3k I have a simple home automation system with 7 music zones. Heating is simply a on/off function but the thermostats control the temp.

I am working on linking my CCTV to my "home server" so I can access on my iphone from anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

So really all u want is something to broadcast it to online, you may be able to use a server or rent one online (like a virtual server) n do it that way, which is prob better..but tbh is it really needed. you can look at another thread in this forum for info on cams and dat..
    im interested to see how dis goes,once youv completed it!

have a nice day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Basically you can set up SigNet & DVR both connected to your router , You are connecting on different ports which you forward to whichever machine you want to access. https:// will direct you to SigNet & say :80 to your DVR.
    Idally a fixed IP is best but www.signetsecure.com can be used to redirect if using dynamic IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

for IP phones you could pick up a few cheap Cisco 79xx phones, set them up with voiptalk or blueface unless you were planning on running your own SIP server which is perfectly possible too.

a lot of those phones will use PoE, but its hardly worth the trouble to install that, just get a few power supplies with them.

if you buy a few decent IP cameras you dont need to rely on any external service except maybe DynDns if you don't feel like paying eircom the 50e they charge for a static IP (although other ISP will give one for free)

Advertisement