Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Piston and Bore a barrel?

• 01-05-2010 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Hows things people,

Im a few years out of the biking and used to use Mountjoy motorcycles for everything i needed, but its gone now obviously. :)

I'm fixing up an old scooter and need to know if theres any places close enough to town where I can get a 50cc Katana barrel bored? I need a piston to match aswell and a gasket kit.
    How much would i be looking at to get this up and running? Im weighing up my options on using the original barrel or ordering a 70cc full kit over the net.

Any help appriciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

No harm in giving Leo O'Reilly on Dorset Street a call

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sure if you're getting it bored anyway might as well bump it up to 70cc ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

cool, cheers for the tips lads,

any idea how much it'll cost to have it bored and for a piston to match?

Can the original barrel be bored out that much? (i think its a 4mm increase to 70cc?) Id imagine i'll need a larger carb jet to get the best out of a 70cc kit, any tips on what size to go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Masada wrote: »
    cool, cheers for the tips lads,

any idea how much it'll cost to have it bored and for a piston to match?

Can the original barrel be bored out that much? (i think its a 4mm increase to 70cc?) Id imagine i'll need a larger carb jet to get the best out of a 70cc kit, any tips on what size to go with?

probabaly more tha the cost of a new one.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/R10008011/Replacement+cylinder+50cc.aspx

what size carb is on it now?? if its a 17,5 mil it will run a 70 grand but a 12mm might give ya trouble.

go onto scootershack.co.uk BRILLIANT auto tuning and repair website.

jayyyziz, havent heard of you in a long time weeder, hows things., :D cheers for the link,

The carb diameter itself is fine, but i think the jet will be a little on the small side,
    I used to tune scooters years ago and remember boring barrels for 30-40 quid then, I also remember buying used cranks for 20 quid but i got a quote of 50 blips for one the other day, used. my how times have changed since i was 17. :D

Just looking at the top end i took off there and looks like there's a 0.5 OS piston in there already, Also noticed some numpty had installed the variator wrong, wasn't on its splines, allowing the starter gear to jump all over the place.

• Advertisement

Masada wrote: »
    jayyyziz, havent heard of you in a long time weeder, hows things., :D cheers for the link,

The carb diameter itself is fine, but i think the jet will be a little on the small side,
    I used to tune scooters years ago and remember boring barrels for 30-40 quid then, I also remember buying used cranks for 20 quid but i got a quote of 50 blips for one the other day, used. my how times have changed since i was 17. :D

Just looking at the top end i took off there and looks like there's a 0.5 OS piston in there already, Also noticed some numpty had installed the variator wrong, wasn't on its splines, allowing the starter gear to jump all over the place.

not bad richie, what size is the carb in it out of curiosity,I think talking to you last year sometime is why i got into tuning in the first place :P

the scootershack lads are good though, helped me get my current project on the road
    et2 with a matte black paintjob
    DR 70cc kit (bout the same price as the replacement 50 barrel)
    leovince zx (was looking for a giannelli reverse but i was sent some go piece of **** instead and had to send it back and settle on that
    21mm carb (bit overkill but **** it)

managed to win a best auto trophy with it aswell but then there was only 1 other auto entered so it wasnt to hard,

carb needs setting up at the moment but she pulls a nice 55mph with me on her. those katana's arent geared for top speed though ive heard but youll get there quicker (and probabaly on the one wheel aswell) with it tuned(had a zillion in the shed for a while with the same motor and comteplated tuning it for a while)

I dont know actual measurements for it but its defo the bigger of the ones available for the Katana (12mm drinking straw for the old air cooled AY50) so id guess about 17-19mm at a guestimate.
    The Zillion was a mash up of both the LC and AC engines but still had a bit of punch to it de-restricted, being geared for acceleration as ya said, they can be a little down on top end but ive had it up to 95kmh. and lets just say, my front tires were usually pristine. :D

I'm half tempted to stick in a 70cc kit and not bother with a standard one, or do something mad and stick in an SP125-180 engine.

Glad to hear the tuning wasnt just a phase for ya, that ET2 sounds like an interesting machine., :D

24060_356256558612_726913612_3665227_8046655_n.jpg

shes not done yet though ive a few more plans for it now that ive got another machine on the road.

Advertisement