Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to make sweet potatoes crispy?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

first off, i dont have a deep fryer.

i've been cooking with sweet potatoes a bit lately, including sweet potato wedges [laced with everything from garlic to rosemary to cajun], but so far even though theyre really tasty, they're always a bit floppy and not crispy like normal roast potatoes or even store-bought spicy wedges.

i'm probably making some rookie mistake, as i'm still new to this cooking thing. but generally i coat them in a little oil, season, and bang in oven for about 40 minutes -should i be leaving them longer? is there a trick to making them [or other veggies...my roast asparagus comes out floppy too] crispy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

try shallow frying them in a pan before you roast them

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

They tend to go very soft in the oven, even when done at the same time and way as normal roasties.

What I like to do is get your oil (or goose fat) screaming hot in the oven, take the tray and put it on the hob and heat it there with the ring. Pop in and roll around your potatoe, sweet potatoe, chunks of butternut squash and that. Then sprinkle liberally with Polenta, turning them to coat evenly.

Bang em back into the oven with another tray of red onion roughly quartered, fist of garlic cloves and some carrots that's been sprinkled with oil and balsamic vinegar, maybe honey or maple syrup as well if you fancy that sweet caramelised crunch.

The sweet potatoe will be soft still, but with a little crunchy Polenta jacket that helps the texture a lot for feeding to my kids!

Advertisement