Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hindu Members Beware at Eddie Rocketts

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I visited the outlet in The Showgrounds in Clonmel Co Tipperary today. I purchased one of their famous Hot Dogs. When I went to the cash desk, I was informed that they had changed the recipe and now made the Hot Dogs from BEEF....

I was absolutely horrified, to say the least, that I had injested beef. Nowhere on the menu was it stated that they contained beef.

What about their Hindu customers ? To think that consumers can be misled in this manner is almost criminal.

As a non Beef eater, I can honestly say that I have felt ill all evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I visited the outlet in The Showgrounds in Clonmel Co Tipperary today. I purchased one of their famous Hot Dogs. When I went to the cash desk, I was informed that they had changed the recipe and now made the Hot Dogs from BEEF....

I was absolutely horrified, to say the least, that I had injested beef. Nowhere on the menu was it stated that they contained beef.

What about their Hindu customers ? To think that consumers can be misled in this manner is almost criminal.

was it nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

How did it taste? did you notice any difference between the new recipe and the old? How were you feeling until you were told about the beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

It tasted stronger. Not like the Eddie Rocketts Hot Dogs I have tried in the past. Who in their right mind would expect BEEF in a Hot Dog. If I was a Hindu, I would be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'd imagine we inhale more cow dust every day than there is cow in that 'beef' hot dog.
    It tasted stronger. Not like the Eddie Rocketts Hot Dogs I have tried in the past. Who in their right mind would expect BEEF in a Hot Dog. If I was a Hindu, I would be outraged.
    What actually do you expect in hot dogs?

Eh...Pork...Like every other hot dog in the world. Like have always been in Eddie Rocketts Hot Dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Don't have a cow man.

You expect hot dogs to be made from pork? Do you buy hot dogs in the shops, if so which brand?

First result on a web search gives me this but a check on wikipedia gives me this. You can put anything in a hot dog and call it a hot dog, that's why they call them 'dogs' instead of 'sausages'.

Here is the website of the 'national' hot dog and sausage council stating that hot dogs are made from beef and/or pork. I guess that's an American site.

Well I guess we should Google everything we eat these days...just in case the receipe has changed ??

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Stop eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bless your cotton soul.

As someone who is intolerant to gluten, I have no sympathy for you. If you have any quirky eating habits, you should never eat anything without know what it contains. Your fault, nobody elses.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Well I guess we should Google everything we eat these days...just in case the receipe has changed ??

I think the point made is that no-one in their right mind would be eating 'hot dogs' relying on them to be made of purely pork. I'd certainly doubt any hindu people would go near them, whether described as 'mostly pork based products' or not.

No, just check the ingredients labels (descriptions) as any responsible food ingester should. The fact that you thought hot dogs have always been pork is a testament to the hot dog industries marketing and advertising techniques. Read up on 'mechanically retrieved meat' and you'll get an idea of what hot dogs are made of, but be careful, it's squeam-worthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Jaysus!!!!!!...Made with BEEF!!!!!!...I always thought they were made from dogs!!...just goes to show ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gordon wrote: »
    You can put anything in a hot dog and call it a hot dog, that's why they call them 'dogs' instead of 'sausages'.

No it isn't.
    Apparently it came from datshund sausage (like the dog breed)

And outside of ireland (and the UK), beef is generally more common for sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

... Why did the person at the desk tell you that it was made with beef? Did you ask because it tasted different? Out of interest, Why don't you eat beef?
    Is it a don't like beef for taste or health reasons or is it something else? I can't imagin a moral or ethical reason that would stop you eating beef but leave you eating pork...

I'm surprised that the Eddie Rockets staff knew what was in the dogs at all to be honest... Not as a slight to eddies here just because well sausages are often a bit of a mystery meat situation... Can't be cheaper to use beef than pork can it?

Mellor wrote: »
    No it isn't.
    Apparently it came from datshund sausage (like the dog breed)
    I always thought the name derived from the datschund, heh.

Found some more info on the hot dog and why it's called a hot dog as opposed to a sausage. The links seem to suggest that mechanically recovered meat isn't included in sausages but can be the main ingredient in dogs, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A life without beef is a life not worth living.

Same goes for anything made from a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

yeah, if it's not for religious reasons then why pork but not beef?
    From a moral view point, beef in Ireland is reared mostly in fields whereas most pigs are kept in crowded pens. I certainly eat beef with a much clearer conscience (unless it's free range pork like is in my oven now - yumm)!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hot dogs are usually made of turkey (or the more ambiguous 'poulty') here. In the US any I ate were made of beef-related mulch. Probably makes more sense so as to not rule out custom from soft-line Jews/Muslins, although they're far from kosher/hallal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If I was a Hindu, I would be outraged.

Mate, I really doubt that any serious Hindus would be going for dinner in a well-known burger joint...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I purchased one of their famous Hot Dogs. When I went to the cash desk, I was informed that they had changed the recipe and now made the Hot Dogs from BEEF....

I was absolutely horrified, to say the least, that I had injested beef.
    You ate it before paying for it?
    Nowhere on the menu was it stated that they contained beef.
    I don't think I have ever once seen full ingredients lists on any menu.
    Who in their right mind would expect BEEF in a Hot Dog.
    Me and probably most Hindus. The casings are often made of beef collagen, I check the ingredients foods all the time, beef, chicken & pork are common ingredients in hotdogs.

I find your ignorance amazing, you say that you were absolutely horrified at the thought of eating beef, so I would have expected you would be checking ingredients lists all the time and would know that it is very likely to have beef in hotdogs. You should check out the vegan forum, there is beef in many, many foods like biscuits, chocolate bars, ice cream, beer. Prepare to be utterly disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The hot dogs have tasted different there for a few years now. Not as nice, unfortunately.

rubadub wrote: »
    I find your ignorance amazing, you say that you were absolutely horrified at the thought of eating beef, so I would have expected you would be checking ingredients lists all the time and would know that it is very likely to have beef in hotdogs. You should check out the vegan forum, there is beef in many, many foods like biscuits, chocolate bars, ice cream, beer. Prepare to be utterly disgusted.
    McDonald's Fries (US only)
    Parmesan Cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bloody hell, what's so terrible about eating beef? You're happy to eat pork even though beef in this country is generally a much more naturally free-range product than the vast majority of pork products we consume. Pigs are often raised in cramped uncomfortable conditions not much better than battery hens. Beef cattle spend alot of their time out in the field grazing, most pigs in pork production aren't afforded that luxury. So why the hatred for beef? Do you just not like the taste of it?

It can't be the taste as it was only when she was told, and it was horrified, not just "knew it didn't taste right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

You seem pretty outraged anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You are aware the majority of Hindus are vegetarian right? Chances of one eating a hot dog made from any animal source is pretty slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wonderwoman

OP, that was one of the funniest posts I've read on boards in a long time:-)
    Especially your concern for Eddie Rocket's Hindu customers despite, er, not actually being Hindu yourself and Clonmel not actually being much of a hub for the world's Hindus:D
    Perhaps your brain is slowly transforming into offal?

Advertisement