Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Dell Laptop-Online or shop?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

My sister is planning to buy a laptop for college. We're looking at a Dell 1545 at the moment. In terms of the possibility of faults occuring, would it be better to buy in a bricks and mortar shop or buy direct from Dell online?

Also I have talked to shops about their cover plans and insurance(which is hugely expensive) for repairs etc. Is this really needed and how long would a laptop be guaranteed for against hardware faults through the normal consumer laws?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Have a look in the dell outlet shop ,you could pick up a good bargain .
    Well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

rebeve wrote: »
    Have a look in the dell outlet shop ,you could pick up a good bargain .
    Well worth a look

Are most of these not refurbs?

Sorry I actually think all of these are..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cover plans in certain shops are worthless, you may as well burn the money. One such is called pc something or other .....can't remember exactly. Dell cover is actually OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I dont really know if it has a massive bearing on where you buy it, Your still working under the same rights etc.

In terms of insurance, IMO if your going to be lugging a laptop into and out of college everyday, using it with coffee, drink, while tired, etc. its going to get a fair bit of ware and tear. so IMO accidental cover is worth picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Penisland wrote: »
    Are most of these not refurbs?

Sorry I actually think all of these are..........

Yes they are but most of them just have a light scratch here or there.. you are paying up to 50% less for a little scratch on the cover. Warrenty is still the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Defiantly go direct and get the service package from dell, prices are depending on which one you pick, but generally it's 10 day collect and return or an engineer would come to your address and fix the issue.

If she's gonna be keeping the laptop for the 3 years, and especially being in college it's totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

In my experience, the bricks-and-mortar stores that carry the Dell line of laptops either charge slightly more, or are selling slightly outdated models of the same laptops. I'd go with Dell 100% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Those coverplans are almost always a complete waste of money. You're paying for something that you already have by law. The accidental damage cover is the only thing you don't already have, but most home insurance policies can cover things like laptops against accidental damage anyway. You may need to have it added specifically.

Buying direct from Dell, or in a shop, won't make any difference to your rights.

jor el wrote: »
    You're paying for something that you already have by law.

Possibly, but I would have to argue my point with them, possibly write to them, possibly prove its a fault and then have have my laptop away for up to or past 2 weeks.

For an extra €100 Acer and HP have a plan to send someone to my house next business day and solve the problem with no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

maglite wrote: »
    For an extra €100 Acer and HP have a plan to send someone to my house next business day and solve the problem with no questions.

It never works that way though. You'll be waiting for them to collect, and repair, and return it, just as you are when you claim under a standard guarantee. The only difference is you've wasted €100.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    It never works that way though. You'll be waiting for them to collect, and repair, and return it, just as you are when you claim under a standard guarantee. The only difference is you've wasted €100.

Personal experience dictates other wise. But I would accept it varies from vendor to vendor. HP are quite good,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

HP and Dell show up next business day at your premises like you paid for. Generally with the right parts and all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    HP and Dell show up next business day at your premises like you paid for. Generally with the right parts and all :)

maybe it's because the likes of HP are so used to dealing with faulty laptops...sorry but I've just had it with HP, I had one of their Pavillion laptops and never again, awful piece of sh*t!

buy a machine to serve your basic needs and do not take out extra warranty etc..it's not worth it. Between time and general depreciation there's no point in trying to spend a lot on a high spec machine only for it to be outdated within 12 months and maybe a fauly occurring you will end up buying another new machine within 2-3 years anyway.

Advertisement