Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildlife Photographers and Documentary makers infringe animal privacy rights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/29/wildlife-films-infringe-privacy

I hope all you wildlife photographers are ashamed of yourselves.

A right to privacy? Where does that idea come from?

If there is a problem with nature photographers it's that they disturb animals (mainly birds with nests) during the breeding season, which is clearly wrong and shouldn't be tolerated but if proper care is taken I don't see any problem with photographing them, anything that keeps the beauty of the natural world in the public mind and helps to conserve it has to be good IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

So next I'll be yelled at for interrupting a hundred year old tree during it's budding season?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

animals have privacy rights.

LMAO

if they get privacy rights, i demand they should have to cover their naughty bits in public...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should have seen the way my hamster reacted when he saw the photos of his girlfriend in 'chat'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

if they get privacy rights, i demand they should have to cover their naughty bits in public...

I always wondered why Donald Duck wore a jumper/jacket but no pants!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

This should be posted in the Off topic section..... I'm sure the editors of the Guardian and the guy who wrote the 'study', Bret Mills, are having a good laugh at any S**t they stir up with this. This was under the science section of the Guardian. I know people here see this as it is, a joke, but I betcha lots of people in UK actually read this and take it seriously because it's in print and the results of a 'study'. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you're underestimating the cynicism of the public. people will only believe this if it already fits in their worldview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

i think you're underestimating the cynicism of the public. people will only believe this if it already fits in their worldview.

I don't think so. In the same way as a cynical person is thought of being a negative person. That definition was only made up by the likes of those who publish this type of baloney.

Anyway, besides all that :), the guardian wouldn't publish it if it didn't help to sell the paper. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

nilhg wrote: »
    A right to privacy? Where does that idea come from?

If there is a problem with nature photographers it's that they disturb animals (mainly birds with nests) during the breeding season, which is clearly wrong and shouldn't be tolerated but if proper care is taken I don't see any problem with photographing them, anything that keeps the beauty of the natural world in the public mind and helps to conserve it has to be good IMHO.

Someone needs to turn their sarcasm detector up a notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Finding a balance on the privacy topic is one thing but getting them to sign the model release form afterwards is a logistical nightmare ...

Cat%20Writing.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Not as far-fetched as it might seem, in this increasingly lu la world we live in.

In Switzerland you have this ;

Pigs, budgies, goldfish and other social animals cannot be kept alone; horses and cows must have regular exercise outside in summer and winter; and dog owners have to take training courses to learn how to care for their pets.

And they've just rejected a referendum to give animals legal representation. It got 30 % of a yes vote and may well raise it's head again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Covey wrote: »
    Pigs, budgies, goldfish and other social animals cannot be kept alone; horses and cows must have regular exercise outside in summer and winter; and dog owners have to take training courses to learn how to care for their pets.
    Well that's all just to prevent basic animal cruelty, if you're going to keep an animal you should look after it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

foto joe wrote: »
    Well that's all just to prevent basic animal cruelty, if you're going to keep an animal you should look after it properly.

Not just that though, you cannot keep a pig or a goldfish for instance. You MUST have more than one !

if it's a herd or shoal animal, why shouldn't pet owners have to make sure the animal is kept in a situation it has evolved to find comfortable?

i read in a temple grandin book that mink which are kept away from water to play in have stress hormone levels similar to those of mink who are starved. so i'm mindful that what may seem trivial to us is not trivial to the animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I have my neighbours little Dog on my lap now...
    My neighbours got him for Xmas and after the initiall 'coo coo' months he is left on their back balcony 70% of the time, I do have to lean over and take him in for an hour just to break up his day, tonight I finally semi complained and said I'd take him for an hour, she was upstairs drinking a bottle of Vodka something or another b4 she is heading out!
    I took him across to the local garden....but a few mins ago.

F8EAB7FCB4264166B083B83B32703DE6-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

....In Switzerland you have this....

I think that that says it al your pretty much not allowed to run down the road without breaking some kind of law there, although it is the safest country in europe!

That article has to be a joke article, its nonesenseicle if you ask me, there are loads of hares running around my house recently (reminds me of finner army barracks near bundoran if anyone remembers the hares/rabbits there) i was going to take some snaps in the next few days, cos they take a hand at my Labrador, its v-funny, but according to that article i could be invading their privicy, maybe i should call the guards cos they are tresspassing on private property then so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

dog owners have to take training courses to learn how to care for their pets

I'm not sure about the rest of it but that part isn't a bad idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm not sure about the rest of it but that part isn't a bad idea...

Yeah, until you consider that any Tom, Dick or Harriet can be a parent...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Any other rag and that story would have been covered in the Humour section..

The Guardian file it under Environment

Ah, The Pious have fled the Cathedrals and now reside in the Guardians offices...

i don't see any sign that the guardian are endorsing the contents of the report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement