Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Playing AVI files

• 01-05-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an xbox arcade and tried to play media files on them.

I had the update on my old hard drive, so i deleted and downloaded again.

It will play the files then. But when the Xbox is turned off and not online and i try to play an other AVI it says the update is needed.

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

For some AVI files, the codecs used require you to be logged into xbox live. Sorry but there's not really any way around this, short of doing some drastic modding to the console... and I just couldn't recommend that due to warranty/RRoD issues with the console.

If you want a work around... and believe me, it's an awesome work around... google "TVersity". It will transform your 360 into a proper media center for free.

All that's required is to have your console connected to the same network as your PC, whether it's wired or wireless doesn't matter. The TVersity then streams all your content to your xbox as a media extender.

Mods, I really think we need to post a STICKY just for TVersity on the xbox forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It works fine when i have gone offline after clicking on the avi file and others.

Its only when the xbox is restarted and i have not connected to live that it will no work

Yeah, the console must download the relevant codecs and store them in it's short term memory. As soon as it shuts down, it looses the codec pack and requires to access them again through an online connection when it reboots.

Is there any way to change that?

The hard drive is from my old Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Via the 'system settings' select the 'memory' option and delete the "optional media updates'.

It'll download and reinstall them when you next try and play a divx file and should work fine from then on.
    Worked for me when I transferred the contents from an old 20 gig drive to a new 120 gig and had a similar problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

If you want a work around... and believe me, it's an awesome work around... google "TVersity". It will transform your 360 into a proper media center for free.

Holy crap I never knew that even existed! It's brilliant just trying it now streaming seamlessly from my laptop to my xbox.

Via the 'system settings' select the 'memory' option and delete the "optional media updates'.

It'll download and reinstall them when you next try and play a divx file and should work fine from then on.
    Worked for me when I transferred the contents from an old 20 gig drive to a new 120 gig and had a similar problem.

Tried that. I did not transfer any files will do that via the xbox website

Creating a new profile and downloading the media update seems to have sorted it

eamon234 wrote: »
    Holy crap I never knew that even existed! It's brilliant just trying it now streaming seamlessly from my laptop to my xbox.

Glad to be of help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

I had the same problem that you had when I bought a new XBOX because my old one was noisy and the hard drive was too small.
    What's happening is your profile is linked the other xbox you have so you need to log into xbox.com and switch your profile to your new xbox.
    Everytime I tried to play a movie it would ask me to update the console, but the settings didn't stay so I couldn;t watch a movie if I was offline.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement