Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island for sale?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

I heard someone say there is a notice up in Supervalue in donabate stating it is for sale for 14 million?

Anyone heard anything about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jesus times must be bad. I mean if you can't even afford to engage Lisney's or even Sherry Fitzgerald to sell one's private island, and one has to pop up a notice in the local supervalu.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jesus times must be bad. I mean if you can't even afford to engage Lisney's or even Sherry Fitzgerald to sell one's private island, and one has to pop up a notice in the local supervalu.......:rolleyes:

In the toiletries aisle to boot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably a joke, as the people who own it are head of a bank, and can't see them running out of personal money any time soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Well thanks to Nick Leeson I don't think there is much left of their bank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think the people who own it now are elderly - he's a retired Trinity College lecturer. So I suppose they don't use it much.
    If it is for sale it would be interesting to see who'd buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Afaik Dr and Mrs Kelly, she dropped the title some years back, still live on it. Also if memory serves me there's a clause in Lord Revelstrokes will giving a member of the family, forget who, the right to permanent residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would not be suprised if it was up for sale. God only knows what the financial situation is keeping a place like this going and as was stated Barings bank collapsed thanks to Nick Leeson. Any chance he has moved from Galway to Fingal

If it is up for sale Fingal C.C. should buy it or the O.P.W. It would be a wonderful investment and could be opened up a little. I say a little as there is such wildlife on it now you couldnt just people go running about. But you could have some nice walks on it and some hides to observe the birds nesting. (my views on ownership have not changed)

What title did Mrs Kelly have? Thought Dr and Mrs Kelly were related to Barings and thats how they came to the Island. They have done a lot of work on the island generating their own electricity and developing the herd.

A friend of mine was at the rockabill a while back taking photographs when he was approached by 2 people who asked him not to go any closer as there was a flock of birds nesting/breeding there. Rogerstown estuary has loads of activity at the moment also, well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Ah thanks for the replies guys, and now I learned something as well :) Good stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My great grandfather was farm manager on the island for many years and indeed my grandfather grew up and worked on the island and my dad spent summers there with his grandparents helping out, i sadly have never gotten out there ... yet but the Revelstoke family originally told my dads family that if any of us ever wanted to visit the island they would always be welcome.

Revelstoke was good to the people who worked for him, he educated my grandfather and got him a position in the Irish Merchant Navy (the predecessor of the defence forces navy today) during WW2.

As regards wildlife Lambay Island has our only Grey Seals on the east coast (i believe they are on the east side of the island) and has one of the most important seabird colonies in Ireland including Kittiwakes, Razorbills, Shearwaters, Guillemots, Herring Gulls and Puffins

There is a herd of fallow deer and wallabies ...lets not forget the wallabies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

My uncle worked there for many years until he died in 1968 and my father like quite a few from around Rush done work there from time to time. One of the lads I work with actually worked there for a few weeks about 1974 putting roof's on sheds.

I see the Shamrock bringing stuff out from Rogerstown every other day. The population will go up now with people staying for summer. Bryan Ferry used to visit there a good few years ago.
    I have not ben on the island in about 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's funny how no one ever mentions that the only remaining black rats in Ireland are out on Lambay....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

noticed that there was updated high res google map of this http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.492539,-6.02407&spn=0.010136,0.027874&t=h&z=16

quite alot of building and landscaping on it, quite large island

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just deleted one post from this thread for going off-topic

Off-topic posts will be deleted and may result in infractions and/or bans

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi everyone,
    some great stories being told here about Lambay...so tell me whats the deal with getting over to visit the island?
    is that possible?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Morphéus wrote: »

Revelstoke was good to the people who worked for him, he educated my grandfather and got him a position in the Irish Merchant Navy (the predecessor of the defence forces navy today) during WW2.

A brief aside, but the merchant navy is alive and well and in no way a predecessor to the navy, two very different things. There's even a new college in Cork

Back on topic, a very interesting history of the island is available here
    http://www.malahideheritage.com/Lambay%20Island.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Piriz wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    some great stories being told here about Lambay...so tell me whats the deal with getting over to visit the island?
    is that possible?

You need to ask the owners permission to get onto any of the land above the high water mark without trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

You need to ask the owners permission to get onto any of the land above the high water mark without trespassing.

Just wondering, do they permit you to do so when requesting permission? Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Im not an expert but as far as I know you wont get permission. Maybe disguise yourself as a mechanic:D. I know a man who goes over there to service their tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tcw27

It's funny how no one ever mentions that the only remaining black rats in Ireland are out on Lambay....

I used to live there in the 60's and they were shy creatures not like the rats you get around garbage in towns and they arrived on the island from the RMS Tayleur shipwreck 1854 on the far side of the island

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Skerries sea tours do trips out to it if anyone wants to go for a walk around http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

I believe the Current Owner/Trustee has some Planning Permissions in for modernisation, but that it's subject to Appeal to ABP at the minute due to in-fighting between the Family. Obviously trying to monetise the Island so that it can be kept in the family. Can't see it paying for it's own upkeep as a Farm.

It's Always fascinated me TBH. Would love a few nights camping out there.

Advertisement