Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reuters post production standards

• 01-05-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭

Some might find this interesting.

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/21/reuters-retracts-icelandic-volcano-photo/

Overcooked photo on the right, I remember seeing this and thinking there was no way it should have been sent out by reuters. Sure enough, they've duly retracted it and replaced it with the ever so slightly more realistic one on the left :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Interesting.
    I'm a firm believer that news photographs should be untouched.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

did a essay on this in college. they are joke... so many photos have been manipulated to suit their stories... utter farce of a agency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I guess they're not always going to be able to tell if ssomething is enhanced.

Interesting that it wasn't the original photographer that touched it up in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've noticed a lot of heavy-HDR photos on RTE news website in the last few months, I'll see if I can dig up a few....

EDIT: Bit awkward navigating back through the news on rte site, but here's an example...

000248b210dr.jpg

This looks HDR'd right? Or is it just me... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Interesting.
    I'm a firm believer that news photographs should be untouched.

Ditto, for some sane definition of the word 'untouched'. Actually I'm of the firm belief that ALL photographs should remain as true to their source material as possible but in that, at least, I'm prepared to concede that others opinions might be valid.

I guess reuters have just so much material going through their desks that they don't have time to do proper editorial work. It's obvious that this was a complete PS job, yet it was never tagged and followed up by anyone. Until of course someone raises questions over it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

foto joe wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of heavy-HDR photos on RTE news website in the last few months, I'll see if I can dig up a few....

EDIT: Bit awkward navigating back through the news on rte site, but here's an example...

000248b210dr.jpg

This looks HDR'd right? Or is it just me... :p

It doesn't look HDR to me, but it's hard to tell at that resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Ditto, for some sane definition of the word 'untouched'. Actually I'm of the firm belief that ALL photographs should remain as true to their source material as possible but in that, at least, I'm prepared to concede that others opinions might be valid.

I guess reuters have just so much material going through their desks that they don't have time to do proper editorial work. It's obvious that this was a complete PS job, yet it was never tagged and followed up by anyone. Until of course someone raises questions over it...

Yeah. The problem lies in defining "untouched". I have yet to hear a definition that I think is reasonable.

It's also important to bear in mind that the appearance of something in a photograph can be heavily manipulated by the composition of the image. An untouched image can still portray something very inaccurately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

did a essay on this in college. they are joke... so many photos have been manipulated to suit their stories... utter farce of a agency

Really... So all the guidelines (rules?) they have for their tog's re PPing, manipulation, etc. are just for show? Are you saying the photos are maipulated by the tog's themselves or subsequently by the pictures desk?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SetOverSet wrote: »
    Really... So all the guidelines (rules?) they have for their tog's re PPing, manipulation, etc. are just for show? Are you saying the photos are maipulated by the tog's themselves or subsequently by the pictures desk?

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3287774,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »
    Yeah. The problem lies in defining "untouched". I have yet to hear a definition that I think is reasonable.

The reuters guidelines themselves I think are reasonable enough. http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/2007/01/18/the-use-of-photoshop/ . I remember reading a similar set from AP but I can't for the life of them find them at the moment.

And of course you're right that use of cropping or suggestive composition, or exaggerated perspective with a telephoto or WA can have a nuanced effect as well, but AFAIK that's something that is covered by current ethical guidelines as it is.

They've had a number of fairly high profile screw ups over the last few years. I think for the most part though they seem to adhere to their own guidelines. I can imagine why an editor would scan those pictures and just OK them, the changes, while not subtle, aren't immediately obvious. The volcano picture is so obviously OTT though. I can only assume they viewed the story as being a bit of a fluff story and not worthy of proper oversight until of course they were embarrassed into an admission.

• Advertisement

They've had a number of fairly high profile screw ups over the last few years. I think for the most part though they seem to adhere to their own guidelines. I can imagine why an editor would scan those pictures and just OK them, the changes, while not subtle, aren't immediately obvious. The volcano picture is so obviously OTT though. I can only assume they viewed the story as being a bit of a fluff story and not worthy of proper oversight until of course they were embarrassed into an admission.

yeah i dont think its reuters themselves intentionally, stuff is slipping under the radar me think

Advertisement