Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laying a concrete floor

• 01-05-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

gonna be laying a concrete floor very soon and have a simple question:
    when i've levelled the concret is it ok to just run a metal trowel/float over it just to smooth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

is the floor a room in a house.you need to tamp the concrete first to make sure it even and no holes in it and then wait for it to go of a bit before floating it,if its inside and you are going to put a sand and cement screed in on top of the concrete for insulation,you are better leave a rough tamp on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

cheers for the reply.the concrete is going to be the kitchen floor.money dictates that i lay damp proof membrane,the cheaper insulation and then the concrete.can't afford a screed on top and can't afford a float with a very long handle so it would need to be done as i tamp the concrete.but is it ok to use a metal float or does it have to be wooden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

yea,everything is fine for what your doing,you probably wouldnt be able to use the long float anyway with the walls unless its a new build,main thing is have your screeds level a nice level tamping,id say wooden if your putting down tiles as it leaves a less smooth finish and gives good adherance for adhesive and steel if you want it smooth,sometimes we worry about the finish to much and over work it, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

thanks for the advice:D

Advertisement