Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post window 'closing'

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else having problems with the post window? Recently I have found that the page will go back to the forum, it seeems to happen if I touch something on my laptop - I haven't figured what it is yet, and cant duplicate the effect. It's only started to happen recently even though I'm on the same laptop. Sometimes the part post can be retrieved by using the back or forward button, sometimes it just vanishes.

I sometimes contribute to another site that had the same problem, to the extent that if you were going to type more than a few words you did it in Word or notepad, just to be on the safe side. I hope it hasn't come to that on Boards.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you using the 'remember me' option when logging in?

You need to allow cookies as well for this to work afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You don't have facebook chat open at the same time do you perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes to remember me and cookies, no to facebook.

Sorry it might have seemed like a silly question, just if I have facebook chat open and I'm typing replies on boards, when a new chat has happened, it interferes with my boards window.

That's strange though, you're not hitting backspace or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you post what browser / OS you are using it may help the tech guys - this thread may be better answered in the site development forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it may work, if you have windows 7 or vista, go to start and type in Record. select 'Record steps to reproduce a problem' and when it happens, you have a log of what mightve happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

star-pants wrote: »
    Sorry it might have seemed like a silly question, just if I have facebook chat open and I'm typing replies on boards, when a new chat has happened, it interferes with my boards window...
    Don't think that's a boards problem. I'm guessing you're using Firefox?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't think that's a boards problem. I'm guessing you're using Firefox?

Not a boards problem, a facebook annoyance, would interfere with other tabs too not just boards.
    Don't use the chat anymore so I don't know, using Chrome myself.

Thanks for all your replies, I am using IE 7. You are right, it probably is not a Boards problem, but it was the easiest first check. I will try the record thing, because it just happened again, half way through a reply my thumb barely touched a key, not sure which, and not only did the window vanish, a Windows ad came up that I could not backspace out of, I had to close and start again.

I don't/didn't have anything else open.
    I'm typing this very carefully...:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What OS are you using? Is it XP/Vista/7 etc?

In the meantime, you should probably write out your posts in Word or Wordpad, and copy and paste it in. There's nothing worse than losing everything you've just written, especially if it's a long reply. Alternatively you could just 'copy' (CTRL+C) everything you've written regularly.

• Advertisement

OS XP. Yes, the copy thing is what I do, if I remember :D
    Anyway, agreed the question is in the wrong place, having established its me and not Boards. Thanks for all your help. :)

Advertisement