Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead (AMC) [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Syferus wrote: »
    Why are news outlets trying to play this news as unexpected or irregular in any way, shape or form? As has been said here already, if anyone expects a new season of a tv show to start any sooner than a year after the last season began they've been living on a different planet to the one I'm inhabiting.

I assume the second series has not been written. There may be a planned arc and some rough drafts of scripts but there will still probably be a lot of writing to be completed. Sets will need creating, new characters will have to be cast, 13 episodes need to be filmed, with all of the necessary prosthetics. And the post-production will need to be completed including the CGI creation and integration. It takes about a year to do all of that. What miracles are some people expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I don't think the characters are clichéd at all. They've got rural Georgia down to a tee, any exaggerations are quite mild tbh.

And yes I also noticed the Left 4 Dead similarities. Didn't Shane even say something to the effect of 'well let's hope four is your lucky number' at the end of episode three? There are a lot of character similarities (look at Left 4 Dead 2 and the group that's gone to look for Merle) and like you said the A to B pacing, also the environments themselves seem heavily based on the games. Not complaining at all though, Left 4 Dead is an amazing game.

That said, Left 4 Dead could have easily been based on the comic, I haven't read the comic though so maybe someone else could comment on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That was dissapointing. I normally love character development episodes but that was just poor. Taking away all the Zombies made me realise I don't give a **** about any of the characters there, something I never realised when the promise of Zombie action was always around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Only copped this show the other day and watched the 3 episodes back to back. I thought it was brilliant, right up my street. I love the way it leaves you on a cliff hanger like most shows don't anymore (not since 24). Roll on the next episode. As for people disliking the amount of "rednecks" in it, as said before it is most like to be gun nuts who would survive the initial onslaught, so per capita they would be the majority. The only issue I have with is the way they left every race represented, like the power rangers. It is a bit silly but understandable, at least they didn't sterotype them (Asian guy good at tech, Black guy a Quarter back etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Oh well,
    that outta thin out the camp a bit. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That was another good, solid episode.
    Nice to see the camp got trimmed down quite a bit
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Considering there's only two episodes left in the series it was about the right time the camp got attacked. Never read the comics so dunno what's gonna happen now but I'm hoping they have to go on the move as a group.

Thoguht the group dynamic is developing nicely now too. When the homies took Glen I figured Daryl wouldn't give a crap as he was only a chinaman, but he got pretty píssed off so shows that even the hicks are starting to be able to put stupid differences aside and bond together as a group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That was some godawfully painful dialogue between the two sisters at the start of this weeks episode. Seriously, who wrote that shít?

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode, though.

I agree - the first scene was completely misplaced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Woohoo Stealth Zombies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yea. Zombies are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

started off pretty boring imo, but shaped up nicely with a huge bloodbath at the end...kinda figured at the start, the way the two sisters were going on, that one of them would die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

So wheres Daryl, The other brother, thought he would pop up in the camp as a zombie having lost so much blood. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The Mexican standoff, (Excuse the pun,) in the warehouse wasn't very believable.
    "Unload on those gringos, wait here comes granny!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why did it have to be the hot one who dies :(

Good episode though,loved the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

allanb49 wrote: »
    So wheres Daryl, The other brother, thought he would pop up in the camp as a zombie having lost so much blood. Hmmm.
    Meryl? He delivered or led the zombies there as revenge I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Wonder
    Did meryl bring all the zombies in the back of the truck, to unleash his revenge?
    Lovin the show, need more zombies

Yes the lake scene in the beginning was annoying

A-Trak wrote: »
    The Mexican standoff, (Excuse the pun,) in the warehouse wasn't very believable.
    "Unload on those gringos, wait here comes granny!)

Yea, I thought "oh dear" at that point but when it was revealed that the "gringos" where looking after the aul people I thought it wasn't such an unbelievable thing, considering they were either family members there or some of them were nurses..................was a bit daft though, and that scene at the start was pointless.

Other than that the 2nd half the episode really picked up the pace, I'm enjoying this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Yea, I thought "oh dear" at that point but when it was revealed that the "gringos" where looking after the aul people I thought it wasn't such an unbelievable thing, considering they were either family members there or some of them were nurses..................was a bit daft though, and that scene at the start was pointless.

Other than that the 2nd half the episode really picked up the pace, I'm enjoying this season so far.

Gringo is a term used by Latinos to denote foreigners, so I don't think they're going around calling themselves it!

The idea was for them to seem like a Latino gang and reveal otherwise, which does make sense and humanises the whole operation and their motives. The most unbelievable thing would be that there was a big group of people who decided to stay in the city if there wasn't a concrete reason to, because it's eminantly more dangerous on a day-by-day basis than open countryside. I think given the guys at the camp are pretty screwed that group could very well come into play later - we're still just scratching the surface of this world.

The opening scene makes a huge amount of sense in the fullness of the episode as it establishes two characters who will be later be very important to the emotional verve of the episode I had an issue with the syntax used at one point and a general sense of roteness to the delivery of the scene, but there was was little pointless about it in the context of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Well, they needed to trim down the group so glad that's out of the way. Seemed a bit out of character for them to be off guard at the time they were attacked but "roflcopters theres fish!"
    I seriously doubt that Merle would have led the zombies to the camp. In the previous episodes its been made clear that what they hear and smell is what they will gather to. The car alarm in the second episode may have led the zombies up the mountain and the great fish feast would probably have led them to the camp. Anyhoo, they make barely any effort to keep the noise down anyway, what with all the commotion last week.

Does this mean now that the sister and wife beater will turn into zombies? Or are they dead dead?

• Advertisement

#Daniel wrote: »
    Does this mean now that the sister and wife beater will turn into zombies? Or are they dead dead?
    Comic Spoiler
    They will turn into zombies unless their brain is destroyed. Wife beater didn't seem to have much of a brain so they might have trouble finding it. :pac:
    Also in the comic everyone is already infected with the virus or whatever contagion is causing the zombie apocalypse. It doesn't matter how they die but once they die they become zombies. The TV series may go a different way though. We haven't seen the "rule" on this yet on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Best episode since the pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Really liked that episode (aside from the lake scene as mentioned). A nice balance of character development and zombie brains exploding onto the camera. Because of the pace of the show, it makes those eventual action scenes so much more rewarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The lake scene was sloppily written.. but it did serve a purpose!

We got to identify and see the close relationship (albeit very briefly) between the two sisters before those closing moments.

Good episode!

is the guy who was digging the graves anyway clarvoient or was that a bit hard to swallow for anyone.

is the guy who was digging the graves anyway clarvoient or was that a bit hard to swallow for anyone.

I toyed with the idea of this myself but I don't think so. At least I really hope not. More just a feeling of impending doom, really hoping they have to move camp now, will mean a lot more dangerous/risky circumstances in the coming episodes.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I toyed with the idea of this myself but I don't think so. At least I really hope not. More just a feeling of impending doom, really hoping they have to move camp now, will mean a lot more dangerous/risky circumstances in the coming episodes.

Got_A_Bad_feeling.jpg:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

titan18 wrote: »
    Why did it have to be the hot one who dies :(

Really? I wouldn't say "hot", but whatever strikes your fancy man. I'm personally glad
    Ed, the wife beater
    is dead
    Syferus wrote: »
    The opening scene makes a huge amount of sense in the fullness of the episode as it establishes two characters who will be later be very important to the emotional verve of the episode...

but there was was little pointless about it in the context of the episode.

You are correct.

The opening scene was important to the emotional verve of the episode.
    Amy: "He knew... that you needed to catch the fish... and I... needed to throw them back"

Emotional Response: Disgust followed by acute onset nausea, thinking "ugh... for saying that, somebody better sic a Zombie on her ass"

Episodes end: Emotional satisfaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Guys, this thread is marked US pace so there is no need to put spoilers on any comments about what has already aired on AMC. It's really annoying and it means that any actual spoilers will easily be read as people are just highlighting the whole thread in order to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why do people in zombie films always just stand around and let themselves get bit. Every one that was bit was just standing there letting it happen.

OK episode but it's doing many things that probably just wouldn't happen, like gangsters taking their orders from janitors, I would have assumed gangsters would become complete sadists when there's nothing to stop them doing what they want and they already have a taste of being able to get away with doing whatever the want before society collapses.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why do people in zombie films always just stand around and let themselves get bit. Every one that was bit was just standing there letting it happen.

OK episode but it's doing many things that probably just wouldn't happen, like gangsters taking their orders from janitors, I would have assumed gangsters would become complete sadists when there's nothing to stop them doing what they want and they already have a taste of being able to get away with doing whatever the want before society collapses.

There was nothing to necessarily say that any of these people were gangsters. As the leader put it, they came to check on their grandparents or their parents - as far as I know, the Latino community (which they seem to belong to, though this could just be complete stereotyping on my part) have extremely high family values so it is plausible that they would hang around to ensure they're OK. People need someone to look up to and the Janitor became that person. He also stated that he wasn't entirely sure why they started looking up to him.

There was nothing to necessarily say that any of these people were gangsters. As the leader put it, they came to check on their grandparents or their parents - as far as I know, the Latino community (which they seem to belong to, though this could just be complete stereotyping on my part) have extremely high family values so it is plausible that they would hang around to ensure they're OK. People need someone to look up to and the Janitor became that person. He also stated that he wasn't entirely sure why they started looking up to him.

+1. Also even if some of the lads in the warehouse were gangsters it just go to further the social dynamice we've seen developing. Sure people think it's going to be the criminals who start the murdering/pillaging, but having them defend a hospital shows that people's opinions of certain social classes may as well be thrown out the window once Z Day happens.

Maybe I misheard then, I was sure he used the name of some gang to describe them.

I reckon they probably did have a gang name, but that was to scare off anyone who would have caused them harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i didnt read the comics but did that bit with the gangs and all occur ?

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Certainly with Amy. She just seemed to stand there for an eternity with her arm outstretched while the zombie ambled over and bit a chunk out of it. Those attacks work better in the comics and obviously aren't as easy to reproduce on tv.
    ricero wrote: »
    i didnt read the comics but did that bit with the gangs and all occur ?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There was nothing to necessarily say that any of these people were gangsters.

I rather think the writer was playing a 'joke' on the viewer, attempting to trap the viewer into racial stereotyping (ScumLord's post being an example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My thinking when he was digging was that its just a general "we're all gonna die so lets just get ready" type of maddness. And to me what he said at the end doesnt really mean he saw the future just that they're kidding themselves if they think they're going to live for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

They have so much to work with I feel this show should be much much better. I enjoyed this episode but its nothing like the specialness I was expecting coming into this show and can't help feeling pretty let down since the pilot. I also can't forgive some of the awfulness like the opening boat scene and the guy remembering why he dug the graves, it cheapens the whole show when stuff that bad is getting to air.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

opr wrote: »
    They have so much to work with I feel this show should be much much better. I enjoyed this episode but its nothing like the specialness I was expecting coming into this show and can't help feeling pretty let down since the pilot. I also can't forgive some of the awfulness like the opening boat scene and the guy remembering why he dug the graves, it cheapens the whole show when stuff that bad is getting to air.

Opr
    Yeah I agree. The clunky dialogue between the sisters was :rolleyes: central. As for digging the graves they should have just made it so Jim(?) was going a bit mad from grief (digging graves for his family who he wont be able to bury) which is what it was looking like. Throwing in some stupid nightmare premonition thing was silly.

Apart from that the show is moving along nicely.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. The clunky dialogue between the sisters was :rolleyes: central. As for digging the graves they should have just made it so Jim(?) was going a bit mad from grief (digging graves for his family who he wont be able to bury) which is what it was looking like. Throwing in some stupid nightmare premonition thing was silly.

Apart from that the show is moving along nicely.

Like has been said, it could easily, and eminantly more likely, that he'd been overcome with the sense of helplessness he felt when his family were killed and that the same thing was going to happen to the camp. I'd highly doubt it'd be intended that he's somehow fully sane and just had a magical premonition.

I think Jim digging the graves was an act of desperation from him after he had a nightmare. Being stuck in the camp with no prospects except surviving would surely rattle him up a bit. He just dug the graves to be prepared for what he saw was inevitable death.

Though his last line did unintentionally give the impression that he somehow "saw" the camp was going to be attacked.

Is there much religious elements in the comics? When I seen yerman having his premonition with the graves I just though, here we go again. More American religious undertones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think people are maybe reading a bit too much into that last line by the hole-digging guy. I just took it as a piece of dramatic bookending in the script, to send the episode off with a punchy last line; the manner in which he delivered it felt more like a resigned one-liner, as he surveyed the carnage, than some revelation of psychic powers.

In any case, doesn't anyone else think the same in that for all their precautions and generally sensible actions, the survivor's basic location for camp always struck me as suicidally stupid. On one side there's a quarry, on the other a deep forest. You'd think somewhere open and defensible would have been the best location, not a choice between a sheer drop and a large forest potentially full of zombies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

pixelburp wrote: »
    In any case, doesn't anyone else think the same in that for all their precautions and generally sensible actions, the survivor's basic location for camp always struck me as suicidally stupid. On one side there's a quarry, on the other a deep forest. You'd think somewhere open and defensible would have been the best location, not a choice between a sheer drop and a large forest potentially full of zombies.

Yeah, i really had a problem with it when i first seen it, i would have chosen somewhere walled off and isolated with a good mile view distance, if the most of the population is dead/zombie the possibilities of where you can live and do are endless. another thing that is annoying me is dale on the look out all the time he can't possible see much with all those rocks and trees all over the place, he sure as **** didn't see the zombie that got couple feet to the camp eating the deer.
    anyway would be pretty boring if they lived in the desert with no action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I just guessed they were stuck for petrol/a working vehicle and picked the closest and safest area to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

or did someone lead the zombies there?

or did someone lead the zombies there?

Maybe, but the zombie on the deer nearby happened before Meyrl took the lorry so it's clear they were finding their own way to the camp anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ep. 4 was the best since the pilot, i freaked when i saw that zombie at the end...mad zombie attack, brilliant stuff!....that opening boat sequence WAS important.

This show is putting a much more human and emotional edge to the zombie genre, the sisters bonding and grieving over their dead parents ramped up the emotional impact of Amy getting killed.

I'm loving this show overall, entertaining and quality.

Ep. 4 was the best since the pilot, i freaked when i saw that zombie at the end...mad zombie attack, brilliant stuff!....that opening boat sequence WAS important.

This show is putting a much more human and emotional edge to the zombie genre, the sisters bonding and grieving over their dead parents ramped up the emotional impact of Amy getting killed.

I'm loving this show overall, entertaining and quality.

I don't know - I didn't get any sort of emotional connection to any of them. If the whole sequence didn't seem so.. forced .. then it would probably have worked, but my thinking throughout the whole thing is, "I don't care about these characters. I don't care about their father. I don't care about your backstory. You guys are just somewhat boring"

• Advertisement
Advertisement