Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead (AMC) [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

KilOit wrote: »
    Yeah, i really had a problem with it when i first seen it, i would have chosen somewhere walled off and isolated with a good mile view distance

I think the reason they chose to camp there was in case they found any more survivors from the city and that they could easily go in and out of it for supplies. They had that radio set up incase they heard anyone talking over the airwaves inside the city.

Plus fuel is vital to them, I'd imagine after what the Asian guy did with bringing the muscle car back and they stripped it that they would go to the city and pick up more vehicles...........but that's just small nit-picking.

It's shìtty there's only 2 episodes left and then a bloody year-long wait again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's shìtty there's only 2 episodes left and then a bloody year-long wait again. :(
    did i miss a series or something;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ken Tucker(EW) says ep. 5 is epic and the best yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

oooh I can't wait!! I wonder how they're going to end ep.6! Looking forward to the last 2 episodes but will be sad when its over! :(

Pretty bold statement considering the episodes haven't matched the pilot (They're good, but..........you know what I mean)

I hope so, I like this TV show and because this season is short I'd love for it to go out with a bang and set up season 2 nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

hope to see the black guy and his son from the first episode before the season is finished, they really gave heart to the show and i genuinely cared about them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

hope to see the black guy and his son from the first episode before the season is finished, they really gave heart to the show and i genuinely cared about them.

I loved them in the pilot episode but completely forgot about them until you mentioned them! Hopefully we'll see them before the series ends! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a funny feeling they're going to bump into Merle and become part of a standoff between the hick & Rick. Don't forget, Rick's supposed to be radioing that guy every night, and the dad's following Rick into Atlanta too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just on Merle, Did they explain how he got off the roof ? I mean it was pretty clear he was trapped all ends up in the previous episode.

Also did the group run back the whole way from Atlanta to the camp ? That looked a hell of a long way judging from some of the previous episodes to travel by foot in a Zombie invested world in such a short period ?

Opr

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Just on Merle, Did they explain how he got off the roof ? I mean it was pretty clear he was trapped all ends up in the previous episode.

Also did the group run back they whole way from Atlanta to the camp ? That looked a hell of a long way judging from some of the previous episodes to travel by foot in a Zombie invested world in such a short period ?

Opr

In the last episode the group that went into rescue Merle, had their van stolen, it was hinted at it must have been Merle who stole it. On a sidenote it didn't actually show how that group made it back to camp without the van!

lockie1983 wrote: »
    In the last episode the group that went into rescue Merle, had their van stolen, it was hinted at it must have been Merle who stole it. On a sidenote it didn't actually show how that group made it back to camp without the van!

It did show them running into the camp rather than driving which would suggest they travelled by foot which seems very far fetched to me.

But how did Merle get off the roof in order to steal it ? He was trapped on the roof with a bunch of Zombies covering his only exit in the previous episode.

Opr

But how did Merle get off the Roof in order to steal it ? He was trapped on the Roof with a bunch of Zombies covering his only exit in the previous episode.

Opr

He found an alternative route and used tools as weapons to kill any walker that got in his way. Its very patchy at best, prob best not to think about it and enjoy it when he returns! ;)

lockie1983 wrote: »
    He found an alternative route and used tools as weapons to kill any walker that got in his way. Its very patchy at best, prob best not to think about it and enjoy it when he returns! ;)

Ah I do try to let things slide in general if I can find some plausibility but remember that's the same roof top the group were trapped on and the only exit they could find in the same predicament was down the door that was covered by Zombies when we seen Merle last. He also must have have found some tools considering he was bleeding out and only had one hand to work with :pac:

Opr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There was a back exit that led to some stairs and after taking out a few Zombies he ducked out a window onto the street.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    There was a back exit that led to some stairs and after taking out a few Zombies he ducked out a window onto the street.

The group must have missed this when they were trapped on the roof ;)

Opr

• Advertisement

The group must have missed this when they were trapped on the roof ;)

Opr

The group weren't trapped on the roof, they were trapped in the entire building after Rick's shooting had gotten the zombies attention. The zombies had surrounded the building so jumping out onto the street wasn't a choice.

The black guy even commented on how crazy Merle was to hop out the window and onto the streets. Hence I imagine why they didn't use that exit before.

Rick and the gang then ran back to the camp, the transition of time is shown by having it go from day to night. Remember, the camp wasn't THAT far away from the city as you can see from the shot of when Jim is digging the graves you can clearly see how close they are to the city.

As for the zombies showing up at the camp out of the blue, this happens in the comic, but I suspect Merle will be responsible for leading them there in the show.

I was in the middle of replying to your post Duggy and then I just said **** it! Arguing about plausibility in a Zombie invested world just doesn't seem right :P

Opr

I was in the middle of replying to your post Duggy and then I just said **** it! Arguing about plausibility in a Zombie invested world just doesn't seem right :P

Opr

Heheh, sometimes you forget the little things you nit-pick on and next thing you realise: "Hang on, I'm whinging about the plausibility of computer software in a movie about robots that come to earth for a magical thnigy-majig" :pac:

Sneak peak - warning, douchebag alert!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed moments in this episode - the ending was particularly good (a lot to do with killing off irritating minor characters).

I do still feel that the show is vastly over-rated. The characters are very thinly drawn and some of the dialogue is very weak and corny (and not just the opening boat scene about fishing). I just can't care about them because what they're saying, how they're saying it, isn't interesting. The acting is weak as well - not a patch on "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men".

There's some decent action moments (the aforementioned finale) but I really don't see any depth or much creativity in this show. There seems to be no attempt to try and investigate the wider picture or introduce a bigger story arc.

Am I missing something? Do people really feel it's all that good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ixoy wrote: »
    I enjoyed moments in this episode - the ending was particularly good (a lot to do with killing off irritating minor characters).

I do still feel that the show is vastly over-rated. The characters are very thinly drawn and some of the dialogue is very weak and corny (and not just the opening boat scene about fishing). I just can't care about them because what they're saying, how they're saying it, isn't interesting. The acting is weak as well - not a patch on "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men".

There's some decent action moments (the aforementioned finale) but I really don't see any depth or much creativity in this show. There seems to be no attempt to try and investigate the wider picture or introduce a bigger story arc.

Am I missing something? Do people really feel it's all that good?

I think some people invested so much in building it up that they've failed to notice that it's pretty average TV. Just because it has AMC in the corner of the screen doesn't make it great. It's perfectly watchable but I'm not dying for my fix every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The pilot was outstanding, imo, and I had barely even read the name of the show before watching that. Just read a tweet from someone saying they're about to watch the pilot for a new zombie series from the guy who did Shawshank. Thought that sounded good enough already for the nights viewing and had to Google to find the name's Frank Darabont and Walking Dead. Watched it then and proceeded to demand to everyone I know that they also watch it, because it kicked ass quite frankly.

But... it has been going steadily downhill since. I agree with everything ixoy said about the characters, dialog, lack of depth or anything really interesting going on. If it were only four episodes into a big long season I'd probably be much more forgiving, but there's only two episodes left (is that right?) so can't see any of that changing.

Not to be too harsh on it now either. Still enjoying it enough each week. But I was really digging the focus on just one character, a few extras, and a pile of zombies. I think I said out-loud when watching episode two, "aw ****, are these fools going to be in this all the time now?".

Still good though. But not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

New episode was very disappointing :(

Archimedes wrote: »
    New episode was very disappointing :(

P!ss poor tbh.
    I wanted the siter to be bitten by her walker sibling. Sick of looking at her long face.

^ 100% agree!....very poor, worst episode thus far....Ken Tucker is a LYING SOB!
    But....i must praise the music in this ep. - fantastic stuff from Bear, especially during the Amy becomes zombie scene. The ep. overall was pure cack, but i did like the Amy scene, i thought it was well done and had alot of emotion to it, with added dread at what was about to happen.

Shane, douchebag!....he was very close to shooting Rick, the scenes as they approached the CDC looked great with bodies everywhere, tanks etc. - but, jesus....why did they not pick up a few machine guns and ammo!!

Overall it was a really dreadful episode, especially those stupid Cloverfied-esque diary room shots to camera. 2/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I can understand why people didn't like this one, but I did.

We've seen Shane has a darker side, and he wasn't just banging Lori to get his hole, he cares about her and he resents Rick being back on the scene now. Especially considering she's siding on everything with Rick now.

I wish the sister had her fcuking face bitten off. Fair enough her sister just died, take and hour or two to grieve over the body. But on Z Day there's zero room for sentiment, you gotta destroy the brain quickly, draping yourself over the body like that is stupid and I wish she had have been bitten. Idiot. I'm warming to Daryl more and more as the show goes on, he recognises what needs to be done and doesn't let emotions get in the way, my kinda guy.

Jim, now there's another guy I can respect. He realised he was a goner and took one for the sake of the group. RIP Jimbo.

Dude in the CDC, could go either way, gonna stay impartial on that one for now and see where they go with it. What I will say though was that scene where the door open was brilliant cinematography, very well shot.

Yet again plenty of very tense moments which is what this show is all about.

I thought the door open to white light was cheesy as hell!

Sneak peak of the season finale:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I've watched as far as episode 5 and while I have found some of the stories/plots to have improved, I still feel that the dodgy script, hammy acting and zombie cliches, are infact doing the opposite to what this show set out to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

im a higly trained scientist, how about i stick my hand in infected body part and acid!

walking dead best zombie apocalypse tv show ever but still just another zombie apocalypse story same as most of the previous ones, which is i guess the point or telling and retelling of zombie apocalypse stories but im not sure the drama makes up for the stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Meryl? He delivered or led the zombies there as revenge I'd say

Aw yeah!

im a higly trained scientist, how about i stick my hand in infected body part and acid!

Jesus Christ, I couldn't believe that. I was just waiting for him to fcuking taste it or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Originally Posted by expectationlost viewpost.gif

While I think it was daft, I do believe that they were trying to show how his mind was sliping due to lack of sleep and he wasn't coherent, he had just nodded off while the experiment was still conducting right in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Actually really enjoyed the latest episode, more so then ep4.

But my soundtrack snobbery kicked in.
    John Murphys Kanadas death scene from Sunshine will go the same way as Kronos quartets Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a dream, we'll be seeing it in Sky sports adverts soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus.. judging by reviews here, I was expecting an absolute shambles of an episode.

Don't get me wrong.. after the action-packed end to the last episode, it was a much slower affair but there was plenty about this episode to like: Shane with Rick in the crosshairs, Jim "going out" honourably, the very-underated Noah Emmerich making an appearance.

Still no Morgan.. I'm doubting we'll see him before the season is out.

I wonder would people have been so disappointed with this episode if the show had a longer first season.

Oh, and while I adore the Sunshine soundtrack, that John Murphy track ('Surface Of The Sun' IIRC) needs to be used in more (I hate to use this word) "epic" circumstances than them leaving the camp. Love the music, but it felt a tad wasted there!

i thought it was a good episode, people expecting random killings and persistent explosions are gonna be dissapointed here, they keep gunfire to a minimun to conserve ammo and not draw walkers,

also i think shane likes lori cause he probably has more in common with her than rick, remember at the start when himself and rick are chatting and rick says he thinks shes drifting away from her, and that she always leaves the light on, and shane say hes also the one that leaves the light on, these little conversations while individually mean noting, build a fairly solid outline of what each carcater is like,

like that boat scene at the start of episode 4 was showing the differneces between two sisters who grew up together, the younger one relying a lot more on the older one, that she always threw her fish back, so her father thought her a more humain way to catch fish so that she could just throw it back, and the older sister wanted to eat the fish so therefore was shown another way,

i think the show now has 6 or 7 main caracters and about another 7 secondary carcaters, we know what shane, rick, andrea and darly are like, not so much what lori, dale, and gleen are like, i think there caracters need to be explored a little more, but at the same time i expect this show will have a fairly sizable turnover in main cast throughout the series,

what most people have to take into consideration it that there been probably 20 odd caracters weather main, secondary or passersbys, that it would be impossible to build up all the caracters in six episodes, never mind build up the 4 i mentioned while navigating through a zombie apocalypse, i know the actors are getting paid but it does take time for such a large cast to build a raport with each other,

while not blowing me away thus far, in my opinion it is well above average,

must say this show a freak of nature another increase in ratings, higher than the pilot

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/29/the-walking-dead-ratings-score-season-highs-in-fifth-episode/73586

this must be the most watched cable show in history, i normally hear of 2.5 million viewers being amazing for cable channels,

basquille wrote: »
    Oh, and while I adore the Sunshine soundtrack, that John Murphy track ('Surface Of The Sun' IIRC) needs to be used in more (I hate to use this word) "epic" circumstances than them leaving the camp. Love the music, but it felt a tad wasted there!

Exactly what I thought. I felt it was wasted on the journey piece and would've been more suited to, say, when they were giving their goodbyes to Jim.

I also thought from the reviews here that it was going to be a serious drop in quality but I enjoyed it, progressed nicely. Though I will agree with the last shot being a bit cheesy.

My bets are the scientist is going to go a bit nuts on them and try to use them as test subjects.

The slow pace of Ep 5 might have been justified if it wasn't the second last episode in the series.

don ramo wrote: »
    i thought it was a good episode, people expecting random killings and persistent explosions are gonna be dissapointed here, they keep gunfire to a minimun to conserve ammo and not draw walkers,

straw man havn't seen anyone say that, we just want the story to be better, above poster is right that we're expecting lots from this short season, if its going to be 'relatively slow' we like lots to happen before we have to wait ages for it to continue

blodvyn wrote: »
    While I think it was daft, I do believe that they were trying to show how his mind was sliping due to lack of sleep and he wasn't coherent, he had just nodded off while the experiment was still conducting right in front of him.

okay knocking over the acid is tiredness and careless, sticking your hand in the acid and zombie part is???

i don't know maybe it was signpost that he noticed something happening with it, and thought it was worth putting his hand in to somehow confirm before it all went boom, i was wondering if they would need a fresh zombie, like the guy they just left behind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

basquille wrote: »
    Jesus.. judging by reviews here, I was expecting an absolute shambles of an episode.

Don't get me wrong.. after the action-packed end to the last episode, it was a much slower affair but there was plenty about this episode to like: Shane with Rick in the crosshairs, Jim "going out" honourably, the very-underated Noah Emmerich making an appearance.

Still no Morgan.. I'm doubting we'll see him before the season is out.

I wonder would people have been so disappointed with this episode if the show had a longer first season.

I'd agree with most of that. I'd go as far as to say this was the best episode since the pilot. The reaction to the show on this forum has turned in record time, but besides that boat scene in the last episode and some waiting around to be killed antics at the end of that same episode, the show has been of a a real quaility, a level above almost any genre show currently airing.

I think it's the very fact that it isn't simply pigeon-holing itself as a genre show and going just for the schlock horror that most genre productions, film or tv, trade on that is confusing alot of people. The primary stories in this show have been the personal ones between the survivors rather than a search for plot answers, which is obviously exactly what we'll get in some manner in the season finale.

No one is claiming it's the greatest thing ever made, but it clearly has potential and this episode moved the whole story a long way in the direction of answers, and in a believable fashion at that. The idea that the episode was slow-paced is slightly bemusing - the amount of stories they furthered or completed, be it finally getting to watch the fever in action on Jim, tying up his arc, the Rick and Shane scenes with all the bubbling emotion on Shane's side, the wife of the abusive husband taking more vengence than solem duty from ensuring he didn't become a walker as well as Andrea finally letting go and doing what she needed to to her sister while also toying with the idea of her being bit for her troubles. With the group splitting up (and Jim being left behind) I'd have thought that this episode would make alot of people here happy simply because it thined out the group even further, given some of the earlier reaction to there being too many characters. And to top it all off, we went from a mountain outside Atlanta to the cusp of some reasons as to why and how the world has been so decimated. That isn't slow-paced in anyone's dictionary.

don ramo wrote: »
    must say this show a freak of nature another increase in ratings, higher than the pilot

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/29/the-walking-dead-ratings-score-season-highs-in-fifth-episode/73586

this must be the most watched cable show in history, i normally hear of 2.5 million viewers being amazing for cable channels,

:eek: i'm gob smacked!!....not only the demos and overall viewers, but that it went up this week....are we all wrong then? :confused:

It's a monster show, it's very VERY rare a show keeps going up, and up!

:eek: i'm gob smacked!!....not only the demos and overall viewers, but that it went up this week....are we all wrong then? :confused:

It's a monster show, it's very VERY rare a show keeps going up, and up!

Syferus wrote: »

I should edit, those of us who thought it was the weakest thus far. I still stand by my opinion on the ep. , but i guess i'm in the minority. TWD also got the front cover of EW magazing last week, and there wasn't alot of competition from cable or network, but you cannot deny the awesome ratings....it might break Adult 3.0 demo next week and 6 million!

Date Program Live+SD 18-49 Rating Live+SD Viewers (Millions)
    28-Nov The Walking Dead 2.8 5.6
    21-Nov The Walking Dead 2.4 4.8
    14-Nov The Walking Dead 2.5 5.074
    7-Nov The Walking Dead 2.5 4.707
    31-Oct The Walking Dead 2.7 5.345

Syferus wrote: »
    I think it's the very fact that it isn't simply pigeon-holing itself as a genre show and going just for the schlock horror that most genre productions, film or tv, trade on that is confusing alot of people. The primary stories in this show have been the personal ones between the survivors rather than a search for plot answers, which is obviously exactly what we'll get in some manner in the season finale.

thats a great way to win people over accuse of them of being stupid and brainless, the people that were looking forward to this most were the comic fans who knew it had content.

thats a great way to win people over accuse of them of being stupid and brainless, the people that were looking forward to this most were the comic fans who knew it had content.

Eh? I'm not stumping for an election..! I could care less if someone hated the show, but I certainly didn't say people were stupid or brainless for not liking parts of it. What I said was that the whole idea of a genre production tends toward more basic elements than you see in this show or, say, Battlestar Galactica. It's the better examples of a genre production that focus as much on the characters as the action and over-arching plot exposition.

• Advertisement

what ppl are saying is that the characters and characterisations are a bit dumb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

what ppl are saying is that the characters and characterisations are a bit dumb

A bit?
    They're dumb like a one handed racist red-neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anyone seen this guys comics about the show. Pretty good so far, although the show does lend itself to being easily mocked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grickle/5202362638/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I have watched every episode so far and im hooked, however I heard its a very short series only 6 episodes a season?

6 episodes this season, finale next week. Returns probably late October next year for 13 eps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement