Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead (AMC) [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Funniest part of the series was the "Gangstas" looking after the old people in the home. What was that all about?

Funniest part of the series was the "Gangstas" looking after the old people in the home. What was that all about?

This was covered previously -

There was nothing to necessarily say that any of these people were gangsters. As the leader put it, they came to check on their grandparents or their parents - as far as I know, the Latino community (which they seem to belong to, though this could just be complete stereotyping on my part) have extremely high family values so it is plausible that they would hang around to ensure they're OK. People need someone to look up to and the Janitor became that person. He also stated that he wasn't entirely sure why they started looking up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Sat through the entire first season over the last 2 days, normally when I do that it's exhausting, given the amount of material to get through, this however with only 6 episodes was exhausting for all the wrong reasons. Weak characterization, very weak script, very weak plot and the acting is atrocious at times. The amount of plot holes is incredible. The dialogue is awful, what was with Rick letting out his feelings to the doc who he only just met? Arrgghh!!!!

I can't get my head around how badly it turned out given that they had fantastic source material to draw from. 4 of the episodes felt like fillers, esp the finale which was the worst episode imo. Most of the problems have been covered in depth so I won't rehash them again but like many here I won't be returning for more unless I hear consistently good reports. Such a shame. Fantastic opening sequence.... fell rapidly downhill after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What I want from the second season is no more changes for changes sake (hispanic family/Jaqui) in a transparent attempt to suck in a certain demographic and make your show seem more ethnically diverse especially when you intend to with the exception of T Dawg racially purify the group within a matter of episodes with no emotional pay off whatsoever .

If the changes when they come don't compliment or enhance whats already on the page it shouldn't make the cut , Kirkman if he is still on staff needs to lose the Darabont worship and not become the Rick McCallum to Darabonts Lucas , don't get me wrong I'm not ****ting all over Darabont Shawshank/Green Mile /Mist are great films but he has never worked in short form(tv) before so Kirkman needs to stop just excepting any and all changes put foward and fight his corner for his material .

Read a quote from Kirkman that worries me tho on IGN recently where he said that the only thing he regrets about the first season is they didn't kill more people and I'm like really !!!!!!! thats the only flaw you can see ? how about fewer but more meaningful deaths mate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Read a quote from Kirkman that worries me tho on IGN recently where he said that the only thing he regrets about the first season is they didn't kill more people and I'm like really !!!!!!! thats the only flaw you can see ? how about fewer but more meaningful deaths mate .

So we can expect more deaths in season 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If this guy does one of these for season 2 I may just not watch it. As, tbh, seeing Zombies getting killed was the main reason I tuned back in each week :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ LOL!...that video is effing EPIC!....S2 needs more kills!

So we can expect more deaths in season 2?

I for one HOPE so!!, look....this is ZOMBIES!, you need a good amount of headshots each ep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If this guy does one of these for season 2 I may just not watch it. As, tbh, seeing Zombies getting killed was the main reason I tuned back in each week :D

The fact that you can show every zombie death from six episodes in just over a minute isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The fact that you can show every zombie death from six episodes in just over a minute isn't a good thing.

Surely that is the least valid criticism made so far?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

He has a point, if you're of the zombie killing and bloodbath persuasion, i'm personally for a bit of balance, you need the zombie action + character development.

He has a point, if you're of the zombie killing and bloodbath persuasion, i'm personally for a bit of balance, you need the zombie action + character development.

In a TV series? How many deaths was it? 6 episodes?

I can't believe what I am hearing - come on people! Surely there are far more important things than trying to quantify some sort of minimum number of deaths in a show's first 6 episodes?

Counted 43 from that video. I dunno - for a Zombie plague that would probably leave millions infected, 43 is a pretty small amount - especially considering it's a zombie TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Counted 43 from that video. I dunno - for a Zombie plague that would probably leave millions infected, 43 is a pretty small amount - especially considering it's a zombie TV show.
    well there not trying to wipe out all the zombies, there trying to get somewhere safe,

this show was always about caracters from the start, that point was made very clear, a lot of people didnt like or relate to the caracters, and have some very valid points, but theres no reason to complain about zombie kill numbers, it was never the selling point, the show is about the survival of this small group of people in a zombie apocalypse,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus.. are you people serious? This show needs more zombie killing?

It's more of a post-apocalyptic show that anything else... with the always-evident themes of both isolation and confusion.

I'd implore people to read the comics.. Robert Kirkman didn't set out to create "a zombie comic book". The comics books are incredibly graphic in content and tone, but it's strength has always been it's characters (and that's the big problem with the show.. the characters are suffering and coming across as wafer thin).

Not once did I think... you know what this show needs - "some more zombie killing". And there was very little in the way of complaints / comments of a lack of zombie killing until now. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Surely there are far more important things than trying to quantify some sort of minimum number of deaths in a show's first 6 episodes?

Well there are two sides of the fence. Some people like their Zombie shows to lean towards the likes of Braindead. Others want it to lean towards the likes of 28 days later.

I'd be in the former camp. Inventively killing of Zombies is what I want to see more of in TWD.

Which is why I think Daryl is the favorite character of most viewers. He gets the job done, and thus far seems to be most inventive when it comes to killing Zombies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'd be in the former camp. Inventively killing of Zombies is what I want to see more of in TWD.
    Get yourself a copy of this so! :D

I'd rather the emphasis be on the characters than pointless and over-the-top gratuitous violence... don't get me wrong, that's what draws me to the zombie genre.. but without strong characters you can connect with and a goddamn story arc (seriously missing in Season 1), the show wouldn't be worth watching.

It'd be the TV equivalent of 'Faces of Death'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

basquille wrote: »

It's more of a post-apocalyptic show that anything else... with the always-evident themes of both isolation and confusion.

I'd implore people to read the comics.. Robert Kirkman didn't set out to create "a zombie comic book". The comics books are incredibly graphic in content and tone, but it's strength has always been it's characters (and that's the big problem with the show.. the characters are suffering and coming across as wafer thin).

Not once did I think... you know what this show needs - "some more zombie killing". And there was very little in the way of complaints / comments of a lack of zombie killing until now. :confused:

Meh - nah. Not going to read the comics. I'd prefer if they could make a decent show.

The Walking Dead had so much potential. I am disappointed with the way it turned out but they still have a chance with season two I guess.

don ramo wrote: »
    well there not trying to wipe out all the zombies, there trying to get somewhere safe,

this show was always about caracters from the start, that point was made very clear, a lot of people didnt like or relate to the caracters, and have some very valid points, but theres no reason to complain about zombie kill numbers, it was never the selling point, the show is about the survival of this small group of people in a zombie apocalypse,

100%.

Subtle tension and character development are more important and themes I hoped the show would excel at following the pilot (okay it didn't happen) but I sure hope they will continue to aim a little higher and not simply fall back on body counts.

I'm sure we are all overanalysing this by the way but meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Have to agree with Basquille - what the show needs most is interesting characters and a decent story line for them. If I don't care about the people in the show then I can't care what happens to them or around them.

Season two needs to give good character arcs and not just have them lurching around and moping in the woods in clichéd scenes. It also needs a plot to drive them - how about one arc where they're desperately trying to seek survivors or band them together? Something to uplift the characters and give them a goal to work towards?

Well this is one of the defining problems of the season, which gives weight to boneys point.
    The show had two obvious paths to follow, and the writers took neither...and the end result was somewhat under-whelming.

We're all in agreement that TWD isn't supposed to be a violent bloodbath, it's supposed to be a character driven drama etc..
    We are also in agreement that the show has completely failed in developing, or even scripting, its characters.

So the show has completely deviated from the source material, and with this you would expect it to turn into some cliched zombie killing-fest.
    But it hasn't.
    The show has failed on two fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Why? We've had 6 episodes and a lot of us couldn't care less about most of the characters so they've failed on that score.

If the writers could say, "well, we didn't concentrate on character development because we killed lots of zombies...", then fair enough. But they did neither. (As I mentioned in other posts if you read the thread).
    Well this is one of the defining problems of the season, which gives weight to boneys point.
    The show had two obvious paths to follow, and the writers took neither...and the end result was somewhat under-whelming.

We're all in agreement that TWD isn't supposed to be a violent bloodbath, it's supposed to be a character driven drama etc..
    We are also in agreement that the show has completely failed in developing, or even scripting, its characters.

So the show has completely deviated from the source material, and with this you would expect it to turn into some cliched zombie killing-fest.
    But it hasn't.
    The show has failed on two fronts.

Well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Could have been brillant TV
    cast -> terrible
    Acting -> terrible
    Story line -> started good, went down hill show by show
    last two shows where crap first two where brillant I think.
    I like the way they are all breaking down mentally bit like a factory I worked in before.

I hate most of the cast especially the old guy and the japanese guy.

There's hope yet for season 2
    they should just kill the whole cast of at start of next show in a zombie ambush or better yet just put a note up at start saying they are zed meat
    Then have a spin-off show with Daryl and merle against the zeds.
    I think Daryl actually enjoys life after Z-day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Took me ages to realise where I recognised Daryl Dixon from - Murphy from 'The Boondock Saints'.

Thank you!!! Couldn't place him myself.

Anyway, I watched the first 4 episodes last night and finished up the last 2 this morning. Absolutely fan-fúcking-tastic show!

I genuinely didn't care about any of the characters; couldn't care less who lived and who dies. It just goes to show how much it had failed in that respect; in Lost, I audibly went, "oh no!" when I saw Charlie strung up in Season One. While Lost isn't the best example to give, it did have fantastic character development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Finally got around to watching the final episode and they really need to do some work on it. I would have missed maybe 2 characters had they all died in that explosion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finally got around to watching the final episode and they really need to do some work on it. I would have missed maybe 2 characters had they all died in that explosion.
    Two? That's two more than me :D

TWD has been voted best new show of 2010 by posters at SpoilerTV: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/12/spoilertv-2010-awards-and-winners-are.html

H50 was second and thankfully, Nikita was third :-)...another woot!, Pretty Little Liars came fourth!!

TWD has been voted best new show of 2010 by posters at SpoilerTV: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/12/spoilertv-2010-awards-and-winners-are.html

H50 was second and thankfully, Nikita was third :-)...another woot!, Pretty Little Liars came fourth!!

Boardwalk Empire is far superior in my opinion. Better developed characters and much better acting.

Pity Rubicon was cancelled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Boardwalk Empire is far superior in my opinion. Better developed characters and much better acting.
    (

With the exception of Jimmy Darmody & Margaret Schroeder who are stiff as boards.

• Advertisement

Pity Rubicon was cancelled :(

What's the connection?

With the exception of Jimmy Darmody & Margaret Schroeder who are stiff as boards.

I'm a fan of Jimmy though!
    What's the connection?

Just commenting on the stats posted by Richard above.

Still peeved Caprica went just as it was looking semi-decent.

Whats Nikita like? They seem to have overly sexed up the character from the movie.

Still peeved Caprica went just as it was looking semi-decent.

Whats Nikita like? They seem to have overly sexed up the character from the movie.

Nikita is easily one of the best new shows this season!....don't be put off...everyone is shocked it's on The CW! :eek:

Good acting, great action and stunts, out of 11 eps. there was only one or two dud episodes, it's been a very consistent show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I genuinely didn't care about any of the characters; couldn't care less who lived and who dies. It just goes to show how much it had failed in that respect; in Lost, I audibly went, "oh no!" when I saw Charlie strung up in Season One. While Lost isn't the best example to give, it did have fantastic character development.

Funny. I thought the first season of Lost was very, very boring and dull. All the characters are so incredibly cliche (as are their backstories, Charlie's was so unbelievably crap). The acting was unconvincing and it just.. sucked. I don't get how it got so many people hooked. It was so bog-standard.

I reckon this'll be kinda the same as, right now, I feel much the same way for most of TWD. I'll still be watching it next season though.

liah wrote: »
    Funny. I thought the first season of Lost was very, very boring and dull. All the characters are so incredibly cliche (as are their backstories, Charlie's was so unbelievably crap). The acting was unconvincing and it just.. sucked. I don't get how it got so many people hooked. It was so bog-standard.

I reckon this'll be kinda the same as, right now, I feel much the same way for most of TWD. I'll still be watching it next season though.

I think Charlie was actually the only character I attached myself to - not sure, also could be that Lost was the first TV show I started to watch religiously.

I'm just hoping that TWD gets better next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I think Charlie was actually the only character I attached myself to - not sure, also could be that Lost was the first TV show I started to watch religiously.

I'm just hoping that TWD gets better next season.

Baffling, tbh, 'cuz his story sticks out as the most cliche of all of them. :pac: Omigod, rock star addicted to drugs! Who'da thunk it! :p

That's one show I legitimately could not watch past the first season it was so bad. It's the only show I couldn't give another shot to. It was The Young and the Restless on an island.

Tbh both shows have a habit of insulting the intelligence of the viewer. I'm concerned about TWD and the way they're handling its reception, they don't really seem to be "getting" the negative feedback they're receiving and are hell-bent on just doing it how they're doing it. I don't think they even realize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Dont know if its been mentioned but there seems to be talk of season 2 starting some time in July 2011 which would mean a slightly shorter wait than next Halloween. Mentioned in an article about Breaking Bad which is also July 2011 http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a294201/cranston-supports-breaking-bad-delay.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

JohnK wrote: »
    Mentioned in an article about Breaking Bad which is also July 2011 http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a294201/cranston-supports-breaking-bad-delay.html
    Ah bummer, Breaking Bad won't be back until July. It was around March last year, no? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Really liking this. on episode 4 thus far.

icon14.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the point of zombie's is that they are deadly threats in human form, that ordinary people have to start blowing the heads off humans, but you need more zombie kills, so that after a while it becomes a chore to kill them, that they become desensitised to violence through sheer repetition. zombies 101.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Got around to watching the first episodes of this this week. Promise of a good show here. Will keep an eye out for season 2.

Huh?....how?
    Jeryl Prescott Scales has hinted that she could return to The Walking Dead for future episodes.

Prescott Scales's character Jacqui decided to stay in the CDC building as it exploded in the first season finale.

However, the actress told TV Guide: "The DVD drops March 8, and if you watch episode six over and over and over again, you might discover something."

Prescott Scales also revealed that she has some expectations for the second season.

"I think it is going to go further into the human dilemma, what these people have to deal with every day," she said. "Life and love and stress and losing people they care about and the struggle to survive. I also think they're going to see Michonne, the figure from the comic book that everyone's waiting to see."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I watched this show and could watch a season 2 but it was like watching paint dry at times, it's just way to slow. They could have easily made it into a 2 hour tv movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

calex71 wrote: »
    I watched this show and could watch a season 2 but it was like watching paint dry at times, it's just way to slow. They could have easily made it into a 2 hour tv movie.
    I think you're alone on that one tbh.

The pliot was ace, the zombie camp attack was awesome....but it did have some very dodgy dialogue + shoddy acting, i'll never forgive that white light at the end of ep. 5!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

The pliot was ace, the zombie camp attack was awesome....but it did have some very dodgy dialogue + shoddy acting, i'll never forgive that white light at the end of ep. 5!

The terrible parts for me can be distilled to the boat scene, the white light and the Southern Comfort shower scene. There was some strangeness apart from those but it never once was it less than entertaining besides those three times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just watched all 6 episodes in a row for the first time.

damn i love the show.

Advertisement