Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best music to listen to while studying?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

What music do you listen to while studying (or, music you find that helps you study)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Nothing too intrusive.

I'm a huge rock/metal fan, but on those rare occasions that I open a text book (:o), I would tend to avoid loud/brash/intrusive music.

Easy, smooth, slow-paced classical music, light jazz music and mostly instrumentals are good options for studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

I find the Moon Safari album from Air makes makes for a productive Alyosha. Even though I can's speak a word of french.

Also, Morcheeba, calms me right down + can have it on in the background without "thinking" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Classical music has been proven to improve memory and ability to study - I've stopped listening to stuff I get to engrossed in the music and end up getting nothing done.

Linky here about the classical thing though:

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n15/mente/musica.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Brian Eno - Music for Airports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Don't listen to music while you study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I made a playlist of albums whilst I was writing my seminar paper. Consisted of the following:

Helios - Unomia
    Elivium - Copia
    A Silver Mt Zion - He Has Left Us Alone, But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
    Ludovico Einaudi - Devinire
    Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs
    Balmorhea - Constellations
    Harold Budd & Brian Eno - Ambient 2:The Plateaux of Mirror
    Boards of Canada - Geodaddi

and some Rachmaninov and Debussy

Very ambient unintrusive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Miles Davis
    Amon Tobin
    Gustav Mahler
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

I second the 'Air' reccomendation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Miles Davis
    Amon Tobin
    Gustav Mahler
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

I second the 'Air' reccomendation as well.

I used to listen to My Bloody Valentine when I was studying in school and college. These days I use it as background music if I'm reading.I also used to put on some God Is An Astronaut when I was studying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Philip Glass's soundtrack for the film The Hours. Beautiful and unobtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The whole of the xx's album is pretty study friendly.

Non intrusive, softly sung lyrics and great melodies

• Advertisement

I used to always have music on while studying, till I realised - you're not studying properly and you're not listening to music properly. You don't get any work done and you don't take anything from the music. So I study when I'm studying, and listen to music when I'm listening to music.

The idea of putting something like Debussy, Rachmaninov, Mahler, Glass, Miles Davis on and not even bothering to pay it your full attention... what a waste!! If you're going to go through the trouble to listen to music so well made and thought out as all those great guys, then to it justice and devote your time properly! Also, don't let this half-assed 'hearing' of music ruin your academic work!

And the idea of using My Bloody Valentine as 'background music'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Smashing Pumpkins everytime!:D

Actually,Smashing Pumpkins ALL the time!
    and some Cranberries.

El Pr0n wrote: »

And the idea of using My Bloody Valentine as 'background music'!!
    A lot of their EPs and 'Isn't anything' aren't really suitable, but Loveless is perfect as background music. It's noisy, yet in a subtle way. The lyrics aren't discernible so it doesn't really disrupt your thinking.

Just as long as you cross 'Touched' out of your study playlist.

Of course, as your sig says, you can't do music any justice by passively 'hearing' it around you. It's just nice sometimes to barricade yourself within your own little world of ambient noise and ignore everyone and everything else around you.
    The library in UL can be fairly fecking annoying with the noise other people make.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    A lot of their EPs and 'Isn't anything' aren't really suitable, but Loveless is perfect as background music. It's noisy, yet in a subtle way. The lyrics aren't discernible so it doesn't really disrupt your thinking.

Just as long as you cross 'Touched' out of your study playlist.

It's such great music, so much work and thought went it making it, I'd feel bad for putting it on just to block out things around me and ignore it. That's what Merzbow is for :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I sometimes listen to a bit of King Diamond when I study.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Check out Explosions in the sky decent study music imo - they do the instrumental music for the tv show Friday Night Lights - the soundtrack for the movie is their best album to tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LYDIABANK

Pink Ffloyd - We dont need no education
    :P:P:P:P:P:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Was studying today and listening to Sigur Ros second album, helped a lot I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The Smiths debut album. Listen now thank me later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Kings of Leon - Because of the times

• Advertisement

I've been listening to the new Flying Lotus album a lot recently. Great for studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

John Frusciante's solo albums are nice easy listening and I prefer to listen to instrumentals by artists, I find it easier to concentrate when there aren't lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

tracy chapman or enya does the trick for me with some scented lavender. sigor ross a close third with bob marley next in line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The best music to listen to while studying is instrumental music. I find that vocals tend to distract me too much while studying so i aways put on instrumental stuff.

Usually post-rock like GY!BE and Pelican or ambient electronica like Brian Eno, Boards Of Canada or Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alexandy

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Stuff that doesn't reel me in too easily, but keeps me comfortable.
    I remember writing a big essay for the next day to a lot of Leonard Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Nice to see Eno mentioned regularly in this thread :)

This album from Biosphere and Deathprod, called Nordheim Transformed, is incredibly beautiful and very ambient:

I think I basically wrote my thesis to this album last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1
    Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
    David Axelrod- Song of Innocence
    John Coltrane (all of his stuff)
    John Cage - Cheap Imitation
    Steve M. Reich - It's Gonna Rain
    John Zorn - Filmworks XIII: Invitation To A Suicide
    Most works of Anton Webern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Advertisement