Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rear derailuer problem

• 02-05-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys,

my planetX bike has arrived and looks 10 times better than any pictures and it all went together nicely.

but i'm having a problem with the rear derailuer, in that any gear i'm in, the top pulley (think it's called the jockey) is rubbing against the sprocket on the cassette.

the deraileur can be pulled down a bit but so that it gives enough room for the chain/jockey etc to clear the cassette sprockets but won't stay in that position, i've watched this and tried adjusting the B (body screw) but that doesn't really do anything.

CASHU6700-10-1225 - 1 - Shimano Ultegra 6700 Cassette / 10 speed / 1225 BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPC]
    CHSH1055600 - 1 - Shimano 105 10spd Speed Chain BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPC]
    CSSHU6700-172-SIL-5034 - 1 - Shimano Ultegra 6700 Chainset / 1725 mm / Silver / 50/34 Compact BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPC]
    RMSHU6700-RD-SC-10 - 1 - Shimano Ultegra 6700 Rear Mech / Road / Short Cage / 10 Speed BIKE BUILD [CBPXSLPC]

Above are the list of parts that came with the bike. Tried bringing it out to wheelworx today, but they were asking for 100 euro plus wouldn't be ready until tuesday effectively ruining my bank holiday weekend of cycling.

Anyone have any advice for a complete novice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where are you based?

I would have thought b-screw adjustment, but it's one of these things that sometimes you need to see. Are you adjusting the b-screw while in the largest cog at the rear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where are you based?

I would have thought b-screw adjustment, but it's one of these things that sometimes you need to see. Are you adjusting the b-screw while in the largest cog at the rear?
    I'm based in North Wicklow/South Dublin or AKA Bray :pac:

Yup tried adjusting the B screw whilst on the largest cog on the cassette.

I can upload picture tomorrow if needs be? Anything in particular I should get in shot besides the deraileur itself as that's a given.

I'm based in North Wicklow/South Dublin or AKA Bray :pac:

Yup tried adjusting the B screw whilst on the largest cog on the cassette.

I can upload picture tomorrow if needs be? Anything in particular I should get in shot besides the deraileur itself as that's a given.

Nope, shot of the back should do. You should contact Mr.Skeffington on boards or pop out to Joe Dalys, 100 euro is ridiculous for something that is probably going to take a few minutes to sort.

Thanks Dirk, is Joe Dalys open on a sunday?

I thought 100 euro was a bit of a rip especially when they said "oh it's a custom build bike that needs a full service, we need to take everything apart to diagnose the problem"

No actually, not open on a Sunday :(

I think they were really chancing their (collective) arm with that. If it's a specific problem like the one you describe then I don't see how stripping the entire bike and reassembling it is really necessary.

• Advertisement

Grand, I'll try cycle superstore out in tallaght tomorrow, might have more luck there if not it will be joe daly's next saturday :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Another reason that the jockey wheel would be touching is if the chain is too long.
    Only time I have seen the jockey wheel that close is on a triple when it is in the 30 on the front and a 27 on the back. Leaving just enough room for the chain to pass between the two.
    Do you have an old chain that you could use to play around with, one off another compact preferable, to get a length that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Check that the b-screw is actually pressing into a tab on the frame/dropout - there could be something broken.

Also check your chain is the correct length - large chainring, large cog method described here is simplest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Morgan wrote: »
    Check that the b-screw is actually pressing into a tab on the frame/dropout - there could be something broken.

Also check your chain is the correct length - large chainring, large cog method described here is simplest.

Both of these are the most likely issues.

LOL at 100 euro to sort it, if its mounting the Rear mech properly, its the kind of thing A LBS would do FOC if you were getting a few bits and bobs.

e100...must take them a hour or two to attach a rear mech and adjust it. Did they see the bike or was this over the phone?

kona wrote: »
    Both of these are the most likely issues.

LOL at 100 euro to sort it, if its mounting the Rear mech properly, its the kind of thing A LBS would do FOC if you were getting a few bits and bobs.

e100...must take them a hour or two to attach a rear mech and adjust it. Did they see the bike or was this over the phone?

Ah come on now Kona, it's a "custom build", those guys in Wheelworx have probably never seen a carbon frame with Ultegra groupset before so it's only reasonable that they would have to spend all day stripping it and building it back up.

@OP: Hope ya get it sorted and out for a spin tomorrow.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ah come on now Kona, it's a "custom build", those guys in Wheelworx have probably never seen a carbon frame with Ultegra groupset before so it's only reasonable that they would have to spend all day stripping it and building it back up.

@OP: Hope ya get it sorted and out for a spin tomorrow.

Didn't get a chance to get out to any store as been busy today :(. Will post pics when I get home of the problem area.

I'm itching to get out on it at this stage been in my house and built since Thursday.

here's two pics, quite large hopefully they might paint a picture :pac:

IMG_8144_thumb.jpg

IMG_8148_thumb.jpg

click for larger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Morgan wrote: »

Morgan wins! The b-screw isn't touching the tab of the derailleur hanger at all. In your second photo it is the flat sliver bit that is reflecting the flash very strongly.

Remove the derailleur and reattach with the screw in the proper position. Park tool will have something to help you. Only thing to be careful of is the threads on the derailleur hanger, it is soft aluminium and you can make a mess of it if you cross thread it.

Edit: This is how the screw should sit against the tab of the derailleur hanger ... (images from parktool)

der117.jpg

der114.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Wow! Did you build it yourself or was it sent to you like that? That would be the easiest €100 the bike shop would make. To take the tension off the derailleur just gently ease off the chain from the small chainring, then undo the derailleur with an Allen key. Replace making sure the B screw is behind the tab, you may need to go through the whole B, H and L setting procedure as the derailleur doesn't look as if it's flush to the hanger.

thanks guys,

went down and took the derailleur off the bike to get some clearer pics, i tried tightening/loosening the B and testing it to see if it cleared but it doesn't.

IMG_8178_thumb.jpg

IMG_8189_thumb.jpg

Lescol built it to an extent.

planet x shipped it with the wheels, and handlebars off it. the crankset,gears,brakes etc. was attached and the chain and derailleur were bubble wrapped to the frame.

*EDIT* i must stop taking photos with my good camera, it shows the minutest of scratches :D

So, the PX mechanic fitted it wrong. Loosen the B screw a few turns, then holding the derailleur body in the right alignment,ie. B screw behind the tab, tighten the derailleur to the hanger, it should sit flush with the B screw easily accessible. If I could find the SIM card reader I could post some pics to help! Nice pictures by the way. The scoring on the hanger has been made by the B screw being in the wrong place, hopefully, the derailleur wasn't crossthreaded day one or you'll have to get onto PX for a new hanger, or send the whole bike back for repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lescol wrote: »
    So, the PX mechanic fitted it wrong

Fitted what wrong?

PX bikes are shipped with the rear derailleur cabled but detached.

PX bikes are shipped with the rear derailleur cabled but detached.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, thought it arrived fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

thanks guys,

went down and took the derailleur off the bike to get some clearer pics, i tried tightening/loosening the B and testing it to see if it cleared but it doesn't.

IMG_8178_thumb.jpg

IMG_8189_thumb.jpg

Lescol built it to an extent.

planet x shipped it with the wheels, and handlebars off it. the crankset,gears,brakes etc. was attached and the chain and derailleur were bubble wrapped to the frame.

*EDIT* i must stop taking photos with my good camera, it shows the minutest of scratches :D

Not being a smart ass here, but, if youve spend the guts of a grand on a bike, would you not pay the little extra to get it assembled by a mechanic who knows what he is doing? (not e100 but maybe e40?).
    Like youve paid for a good bike and to have the advantages of one, a poorly set up e1000 bike is gunna be as big a pain in the arse as a e100 bike IMO.

Incorrect assembly and set up will cost you eventually.

kona wrote: »
    Not being a smart ass here, but, if youve spend the guts of a grand on a bike, would you not pay the little extra to get it assembled by a mechanic who knows what he is doing? (not e100 but maybe e40?).
    Like youve paid for a good bike and to have the advantages of one, a poorly set up e1000 bike is gunna be as big a pain in the arse as a e100 bike IMO.

Incorrect assembly and set up will cost you eventually.

I agree with you. I don't mind paying for a mecahnic to do it. In fact I'd have no problems paying 100 euros for it. But I didn't take wheelworx on it because when I first when in with the bike the guy said 35 for full check on the bike (told him what bike it was too). Took the bike out of the car and into the shop and with 2 minutes it was up to 100 euro.

I didn't have time yesterday to head over to cyclesuperstore and they were closed today as were Joe daly cycles. Guess I just picked a bad weekend to get my bike :).

Plus I thought that trying this stuff out for myself with the aid of boardsies and video guides I would learn a bit more about bikes for down the road. And I guess I have I know what H and L screws are for so I guess my fooling about hasn't been too wasteful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

You should really be able to fix this yourself. It is easy. You just need to get the b-screw to rest up against the hanger-tab when you isntall it. It is a 2 minute job.

When attaching the derailleur you can rotate it backwards so that the b-screw presses against the hanger tab. Don't try to attach it in the position it usually sits in, in fact you cannot, it is under a lot of tension in that position. Take the chain off the front rings so that you have lots of slack. There's load of videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdUybqrt1M4&feature=related

Don't waste another day driving around trying to get this fixed, do it now and head for a spin before dinner!

thanks rob, I have now have a working bike :pac: took it for a quick spin circa 1km just to get used to the gears and disengaging the cleats from the pedals.

Also thanks to all who helped as well, i love when you fix a problem yourself without dishing out the cash for it not just because i'm stingey, but i know now forever that i'll never have this problem again :).

Advertisement