Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core History & Politics 2nd year?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    this is procrastination in the extreme but I was just wondering would anyone have any thoughts about what are the core history & politics subjects like to do in second year? Not so concerned about history but I've found 2 of the 4 politics subjects I've done this year (political theory & comparative politics) quite difficult and I don't really know if I grasped them at all.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Your Politics core modules will be Individuals and the State ( pol. Theory ) comparative pol 2 and in semester 2 its Contending theories of International Relations and Analysing Politics.

As i'm sure you've guessed, They are all, with the exception of Analysing Pol, continuations of first year core modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Hi there ;)

I've just finished 2nd year History and Politics; I'm on a denominated course so unfortunately I couldn't change my major as it would have involved changing course, but basically, if I'd had the choice, I'd have dropped politics

Like you, I simply HATED political theory in first year, and the only reason I did well in comparative was due to the lecturer who is apparently in America now (who did you have?)

Comparative Politics 2 and Individuals of the State and both continuations of comparative and political theory and they are horrible. I found them so difficult and seeing as you didn't like them in first year, I simply wouldn't recommend them

Perhaps you would consider a single history BA if you like it? Or you could do History as a major and Politics minor, but like I said, there really is no way of avoiding those horrible modules. My advice-get out while you can.

Good luck, hope this helps, and if you need any more info, then PM me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

@fewtolose - Thank you so much for that information. I'm more or less sure I am going to change to single history. Really enjoyed it this year and so found it easy enough to do well in.
    Thanks again, I may pm you at some stage but really you just confirmed my suspicions.

@fewtolose - Thank you so much for that information. I'm more or less sure I am going to change to single history. Really enjoyed it this year and so found it easy enough to do well in.
    Thanks again, I may pm you at some stage but really you just confirmed my suspicions.

Your welcome, and def PM me if need be. I do history too and I simply love it, so I can give you info about it too if you need to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you take a look at the school of politics website and see what courses were on offer this year, you'll get an idea of what to expect next year. And then you might have a better idea of what to do regarding subject choices next year.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    If you take a look at the school of politics website and see what courses were on offer this year, you'll get an idea of what to expect next year. And then you might have a better idea of what to do regarding subject choices next year.

Never judge a book by it's cover though!

FewToLose wrote: »
    Never judge a book by it's cover though!

All I said is that students would get an idea of what to expect - obviously courses will change from year to year, but not hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Thanks to both of you. I looked at the politics subjects and didn't really like any of them except for International Politics II. When I looked at the history subjects there were loads I wanted to do. Guess that is my decision made so!

Should I ask the history dept or programming office about changing to pure history?

I think you can arrange it through the history department, although don't quote me on it. In any case I would go try to avoid the programme office at all costs, because they are so unhelpful

First port of call should be the history office and see if they can give you any help and advice regarding changing the focus of your subjects. Then you can see where you need to go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Yea you should contact the department of history asap, they sent out emails about doing single honours history a few weeks ago and they need to get numbers for the class so they'll def need to know before September I think? Best of luck!

Advertisement