Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Value for money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Doesn't look great value to me, do you want to buy in a local bricks and mortar shop or are you willing to purchase online? If you are then this is more like the price you should be looking at.

http://www.parkcameras.com/12663/Nikon-D3000---18-55mm-VR.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

sticker wrote: »
    REALLY quick question folks! Looks at buying a new SLR - Is this decent value or can you point in the the direction of a good value retailer?

http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-d3000/p-018208916566pd.html

Thanks!

It depends on how much value you put on the extras. The D3000 is €419.99 in Argos. If you would like to support the smaller shop, I would suggest you go to Conns and ask them for their best price without any extras. Point out the Argos price and the on-line prices of around €400 delivered from the UK.

See this recent post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65672916&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

nilhg wrote: »
    Doesn't look great value to me, do you want to buy in a local bricks and mortar shop or are you willing to purchase online? If you are then this is more like the price you should be looking at.

http://www.parkcameras.com/12663/Nikon-D3000---18-55mm-VR.html

Hi nilhg,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy to buy online. Have you had experience buying from this site? I'd be *slightly* concerned about such a pricey and delicate item being posted. The postage is only £20, I wonder if it's registered post? Last think I need for it to dissapear en route!

Paranoia aside, Its a great package: €464 inc P&P all in for the following:

Nikon D3000 +
    18-55mm VR 1. D3000 +
    FREE Nikon Golla Bag +
    SanDisk 4GB Extreme III SDHC (30MB/s Transfer Speed) Standard

Would it be worth my while going for the 4gig card or 8gig?

Thanks again for the reply - I apprecaite the help.

Yes I've purchased from Park Camera's, a good and reputable company. It'll probably be a courier company rather than the post, but cameras are usually well packed, I doubt if you'll have a problem.

My personal preference would be 2 4 gig rather than 1 8gig, eggs in one basket and all that.....

Yes I've purchased from Park Camera's, a good and reputable company. It'll probably be a courier company rather than the post, but cameras are usually well packed, I doubt if you'll have a problem.

My personal preference would be 2 4 gig rather than 1 8gig, eggs in one basket and all that.....

Thanks nilhg - Would you rate the camera for a first SLR?

• Advertisement

Thanks nilhg - Would you rate the camera for a first SLR?

No problem, I've never used Nikon, I use an Olympus, but I'm sure it's fine, the biggest problem with entry level Nikons seems to be the inability to focus with older Nikon lenses and to meter with some much older lenses, but I'm sure some of the Nikon folks will give you chapter and verse on that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No problem, I've never used Nikon, I use an Olympus, but I'm sure it's fine, the biggest problem with entry level Nikons seems to be the inability to focus with older Nikon lenses and to meter with some much older lenses, but I'm sure some of the Nikon folks will give you chapter and verse on that.

its the no af one the cheap 50mm, thats the issue. tbh if i had to chose, id go for a d40 or d60 tbh as a starter

its the no af one the cheap 50mm, thats the issue. tbh if i had to chose, id go for a d40 or d60 tbh as a starter

Hi nmelekalikimaka, are the d40 & d60 older versions of the D3000? Would the latest kit not be a better buy?

Reviews suggest the novice help system is very good compared to odler versions. I'm not planning to get heavily involved with the settings, I'm a website developer and just want a nice piece of hardware I can pickuup and use instantly.

EDIT: After a quick Google the D60 is on amazon for €600 - Thats too steep a price I'm afriad - I'd pay €450, but that would be the limit on my budget!

Also the onboard noivice userguide & the 3 inch screen seem to be better additions to the D3000.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hi nmelekalikimaka, are the d40 & d60 older versions of the D3000? Would the latest kit not be a better buy?

Reviews suggest the novice help system is very good compared to odler versions. I'm not planning to get heavily involved with the settings, I'm a website developer and just want a nice piece of hardware I can pickuup and use instantly.

EDIT: After a quick Google the D60 is on amazon for €600 - Thats too steep a price I'm afriad - I'd pay €450, but that would be the limit on my budget!

ah well if you do plan to dive in too much the d3000 is dandy, you grow out of it pretty quickly, the d40/d60 would future proof you a bit

ah well if you do plan to dive in too much the d3000 is dandy, you grow out of it pretty quickly, the d40/d60 would future proof you a bit

OK - thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement