Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Bacon in New Zealand (Wellington in particular)

Options
  • 02-05-2010 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know if it's possible to buy bacon (as in a proper lump of it to boil and have with cabbage and spuds) in New Zealand? All I ever see in the way of bacon or ham in the supermarket is kind of pre-cooked stuff that you could glaze in the oven but nothing that seems fully raw.

Does anyone know if it exists in real butcher shops? And even better where there might be a decent butcher in the centre of Wellington?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

The only one I can think of right now is one near to me in Newtown in the main strip of shops there.

There must be some in town but i can't think of any right now.

EDIT: Googly Business Mappy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

You could try Moore Wilson's off Tory St. Bit expensive but good food.

Failing that- there's a great butcher in Island Bay, just in the shops on the Parade. Called "Island Bay Butchers". It's more like a proper butcher we'd be used to. If they don't have what you need they'll get it in for you. It's worth a trip out for their sausage selection-proper sausages, none of this precooked rubbish! Used to live out this way- great spot.

It's bus 1 from town and stops right outside the door.

Advertisement