Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music for "birds" vs. music for "lads"?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm a 20 year old guy and I listen to pretty much all types of music you can imagine, from 80's to indie to dance to the charts. A friend of mine is a DJ and he was setting up a playlist yesterday. he put "Run this Town" by Jay-z Rihanna and Kanye on it. I commented and said I like that song. He then said well it's a girls song so it's just something to keep the birds happy.

Then a while later when I got home I was listening to that song "Good Times" by Roll Deep. Another mate of mine came in and said "Haha listening to birds music are ya"? He then laughed at the fact that I had Florence & The Machine and Rihanna on.

It confused me, why is it that here in Ireland a song is called a "bird's" song when a girl sings it yet girls and guys can listen to music with a male singer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Well, both of your mates are full of **** ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ItBeMe

Agreed ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

RnB is for girls

rovert wrote: »
    RnB is for girls

Music is for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

There is such a thing as feminine music that often I'd only expect to see in the hands of girls or homosexuals. The likes of Girls Aloud and such.

I don't think there's any music aimed specifically at lads though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

RnB is for people who like RnB
    fix'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I dunno. I think certain types of music are more masculine and feminine than each other - perhaps not intentionally, and I certainly wouldn't be interested in labelling them as such. But e.g. the likes of Joy Division, The Stone Roses and other bands from the north of England, also the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones... definitely something laddish/blokey about these - and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, I'm a huge fan of all of them.

RnB IS for girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I reckon the heavy metal genre is more aimed at blokes than at girls, tho this is a kinda stupid comment from me, as I'll admit that there are squillions of female HM fans out there. But in general, Heavy Metal is seen as a very manly/bloke-ish genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think that's a stupid comment though - heavy metal is a genre that is overwhelmingly dominated by males. That's probably all it is - the gender of those who make up the acts that fit into a particular genre.

• Advertisement

RnB IS for girls

Saying it again doesn't make you any less wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rnb is for people without any taste in music

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Saying it again doesn't make you any less wrong.

Im not wrong if people cant debunk it.

RnB is the foundation of funk, ska, rock and roll, hip hop... How can you say that?

As for debunking your claim, rovert, I like RnB, and I'm a 'lad'. So what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

RnB is the foundation of funk, ska, rock and roll, hip hop... How can you say that?

As for debunking your claim, rovert, I like RnB, and I'm a 'lad'. So what's your point?

It's all working up to a 'coming out' thread I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

No such thing. I'm a girl and I like most of the music that has been mentioned as 'blokes' music. I know lots of lads that like Rihanna songs and don't like Led Zeppelin.
    Wrong.

Which RnB are you talking about?
    As for debunking your claim, rovert, I like RnB, and I'm a 'lad'.

You can like something which is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Now and again a thread like this comes along. Sometimes it's "X" music v "Y" music, or "you are a ***** for liking "z" music. :rolleyes: How can people be so naive ?

Music is music. If people want to put name tags on it, fair enough. Different people interpret music in different ways. It would be a sad old world if we all liked the same music.

Which RnB are you talking about?

I'm talking about RnB, Rhythm and Blues.

I'm talking about RnB, Rhythm and Blues.

Rhythm and Blue is for greasers. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ItBeMe

Rigsby wrote: »
    Now and again a thread like this comes along. Sometimes it's "X" music v "Y" music, or "you are a ***** for liking "z" music. :rolleyes: How can people be so naive ?

Music is music. If people want to put name tags on it, fair enough. Different people interpret music in different ways. It would be a sad old world if we all liked the same music.

Agreed, couldn't have said it better myself :p

Advertisement