Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Flood Protection

• 02-05-2010 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I think the glass railing is the final insult to a city on its knees, however they got one thing right, it matches the millennium plaza for tastelessness

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

why what's wrong with it? thought it was part of the flood defense system, what would you like to see in its place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Would you like to explain yourself a bit more there?
    What would you have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

where is it? down the mash???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Lurching wrote: »
    Would you like to explain yourself a bit more there?
    What would you have done differently?

This isn’t meant to be a smart answer, but have you seen it, I think that if you did and I see from your location you have travelled a bit that it doesn’t need any further explanation from me.

However one thing I would have done differently is Establish Root Cause Analysis.
    I would be of the opinion that the dumping of thousands of tons of rubble to build carparks along the quay, throttling the river may show some interesting data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

link pic there just in case. I've seen it and I think its fine, dont have issues with the millenium plaza either. I am laughing a bit though so thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

19.5V wrote: »
    This isn’t meant to be a smart answer, but have you seen it, I think that if you did and I see from your location you have travelled a bit that it doesn’t need any further explanation from me.

However one thing I would have done differently is Establish Root Cause Analysis.
    I would be of the opinion that the dumping of thousands of tons of rubble to build carparks along the quay, throttling the river may show some interesting data.

Again, care to explain what's wrong with it? What kind of flood defence would you propose?

As for car parks being the cause, wasn't the place flooding long before they were built?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I was actually looking at it the other day and I thought it was a tasty job, although I asked myself where is all the excess flood water going to go now., some place will pay the price of the quay not being flooded, we'll just have to wait an see.

Kahless wrote: »
    Again, care to explain what's wrong with it? What kind of flood defence would you propose?

As for car parks being the cause, wasn't the place flooding long before they were built?

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I would propose that Root Cause Analysis be done to established to quantify the impact of
    Peat Bog reduction
    Silage wrap
    Afforestation
    Flood plain developments.
    Then see what needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

marlin vs wrote: »
    I was actually looking at it the other day and I thought it was a tasty job, although I asked myself where is all the excess flood water going to go now., some place will pay the price of the quay not being flooded, we'll just have to wait an see.

Carrick..............hopefully :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I know it well, I drove past it beside the Tower for the last year.

I dont really see a feasable alternative, and I don't really see anything wrong with it either. It allows unrestricted views of the river and the marina for people coming up past the Tower etc, which any solid flood wall would not allow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

or would you like to see a wall of sandbags everytime theres a high tide????waterford in fairness escapes the worst of the flooding compared to the likes of enniscorthy or clonmel where by there centres get flooded and a heck of a lot of people put to distress because there homes are flooded i,m sure they love a system like ours and would,nt winge about it!!! be grateful that its there and as for the visual impact of it i think its alright to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I would propose that Root Cause Analysis be done to established to quantify the impact of
    Peat Bog reduction
    Silage wrap
    Afforestation
    Flood plain developments.
    Then see what needs to be addressed

ah thats nice, you learned some big words and new phrases in school recently.

longshanks wrote: »
    ah thats nice, you learned some big words and new phrases in school recently.
    :confused:, are you board

or would you like to see a wall of sandbags everytime theres a high tide????waterford in fairness escapes the worst of the flooding compared to the likes of enniscorthy or clonmel where by there centres get flooded and a heck of a lot of people put to distress because there homes are flooded i,m sure they love a system like ours and would,nt winge about it!!! be grateful that its there and as for the visual impact of it i think its alright to be honest
    I agree, sandbags and the likes ar not the answer, I can only imagine the suffering that flood inflicts on people, however I dont think it is necessary for a 4' wall of glass to solve the problem, heaven help us if the levels rise as high as the glass. I agree from the aspect that if it functions it is great, (the Ard Rí functioned as a hotel but it was still an eyesore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is glass really worse than the green bars which were there previously?

Is glass really worse than the green bars which were there previously?
    The green railing wasn’t anything to look at either,
    I have watched the flooding in Waterford on a few occasions, I have seen the water come up through the drains and also seeping up through the road surface, I have never seen the water come up over the side of our glorious fantastic quayside car park, I know that there are various establishments along the quay where the tide can come in through their basements. The quay is built on a foundation of marsh and the remains of the city walls that were knocked as the city expanded, I can’t understand how a glass railing is going to stop the quay from flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Ill be very interested to see what happens when there is a high tide, i cant remember a serious one in about 2 or 3 years.

Interesting point about the drains, id imagine that the water the goes down them at the moment goes straight into the river so it would be likely that if this is the case that at high tide the water is just as likely to come back up.

Only thing that annoys me about the glass flood barriers is that they have that corporation logo of the new bridge plastered all over. Why do the corporation feel the need to put their mark all over a bit of work that they are meant to be doing, i mean does a dentist write his name on my teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I can't see how a transparent barrier can be an insult to a 'city on its knees'.

I think this is just a trolling thread.

I would do the following,
    Move the car park across the river to the unused Warf, I would have a roundabout entrance/exit for cars just after the petrol station on the Ferrybank Dual carriageway. I would establish a park n' ride system, a shuttle bus system leaving the car park at specific time intervals, these busses would have un interrupted access to the car park at rice bridge roundabout I would allow these park n' ride busses access to the pedestrianised area of the town to specific drop and collection points, I think the shops would appreciate something like this to attract in customers. Access to the shuttle bus would be your car park ticket

I would leave the current car park river walk and remove the rest bringing it back to the rivers width of how it was 30 years ago. I would then have a raised type of garden, carefully constructed with absorbent material and layered with drainage materials, this raised garden would have to be about 1 to 2 meters higher than the level of the current car park and extended up and down stream, this raised garden would then be able to soak flood water when it arrives and slowly release the water within the tidal cycle , of course the garden would be pedestrian friendly amenity with trees, seating and the odd coffee kiosk for the summer time and surrounded and traversed with footpaths and cycle lanes. I am quite sure some Dutch engineering would help as they are the masters of living below sea levels

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So hang on they think that glass wll stop the quays flooding?

Won't the water just find its level via the draines and flood all the quays that way...after all rain water ruins into the drains and into the river at present.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    So hang on they think that glass wll stop the quays flooding?

Won't the water just find its level via the draines and flood all the quays that way...after all rain water ruins into the drains and into the river at present.

Oh Relief, thank you Cabaal, pardon the pun but you can also see through the flood barrier
    PS your Green Cone is exactly what would control quay flooding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cabaal wrote: »
    I always assumed the drains would have a single way flap or something to prevent water coming back up them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I would do the following,
    Move the car park across the river to the unused Warf, I would have a roundabout entrance/exit for cars just after the petrol station on the Ferrybank Dual carriageway. I would establish a park n' ride system, a shuttle bus system leaving the car park at specific time intervals, these busses would have un interrupted access to the car park at rice bridge roundabout I would allow these park n' ride busses access to the pedestrianised area of the town to specific drop and collection points, I think the shops would appreciate something like this to attract in customers. Access to the shuttle bus would be your car park ticket
    pity its private property

I would leave the current car park river walk and remove the rest bringing it back to the rivers width of how it was 30 years ago. I would then have a raised type of garden, carefully constructed with absorbent material and layered with drainage materials, this raised garden would have to be about 1 to 2 meters higher than the level of the current car park and extended up and down stream, this raised garden would then be able to soak flood water when it arrives and slowly release the water within the tidal cycle , of course the garden would be pedestrian friendly amenity with trees, seating and the odd coffee kiosk for the summer time and surrounded and traversed with footpaths and cycle lanes. I am quite sure some Dutch engineering would help as they are the masters of living below sea levels

why did the river not flood 30 years ago????

robtri wrote: »

why did the river not flood 30 years ago????
    1.That can be overcome with CPO
    2.Never said it didnt!

When the current Rice Bridge was being built there was a problem with finding a foundation at the Waterford side. The construction crews had to go to extraordinary depth with a cofferdam to find suitable foundation, it was mud for up to 60m deep, flooding may always be an issue because of what lies beneath, its about how to live with it and manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

robtri wrote: »

I thought it was owned by the Port of Waterford which I think is a semi-state, so publicly owned like the ESB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

1.That can be overcome with CPO
    2.Never said it didnt!

sorry read no 2 wrong.... apologies...

CPO and all the costs involved in what you are proposing... versus putting in some special strong glass and a new frame.....

probably talking a billion versus couple of millions.. lets face it at this stage in our current economical climate.... it propbaly best option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

was the river not dredged a couple of years ago to deepen the channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

This may come across bad but what ever about the flood protection, the glass wall is very apealing and i certainly like it. Whether it does its job or not I dont know but something tells me if they are spending so much money, it will work!

Some may disagree but it definately looks well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

surely the architects/planners who came up with the glass wall (which I think looks very well) are aware of the flooding possibility & know what they are doing .... bloody hope so!

& as for the city being on its knees ..... I think we´d all be better trying to give it a hand up & supporting local business .... rather than pointless moaning!

Advertisement