Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII TANK MMO

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well this is what I've learned so far:
    Using arty - Hit left shift to go into zoom mode and target things from far away (took me a few games to find out)

Using arty - Angles are a royal pain and can block fire angles; best bet is fully hidden in a bush rather then behind a stone or something (if you get spotted you're dead 99% of the time any way though I managed to tank a S3 Sherman with my T2 Russian Arty, 3/150 hp left and finished him point blank!)

Using arty - Ensure you have a green line to the tank and the circle zoomed in proper over it; you're not accurate if not and will miss

Using arty - Learn to lead tanks; esp. if they are foolish enough to go in one directly only

Using arty - Sloooow exp; I think it has something to do with not exploring / going over enemy half or something (i.e. my arty damaging 7 tanks / 0 kills ended up with 300 exp and my T34 ends up with 200 minimum with out hitting anything and usually mid 500s)

Using tanks - Zoom in before you fire; doing quick drive by shooting usually misses (green circle)

Using tanks - Personal preference is for a long cannon turret (i.e. accuracy) and as large shell as possible; you want to cause maximum damage on the first hit to avoid return fire

Using tanks - Learn what tanks you can kill (i.e. my 85mm gun will only scratch a KV tank but will royally damage a light tank)

Using tanks - Patience is king; a light tank can usually kill you and if not they will spot you for their arties who will so take your time

Using tanks - Hugging rocks, buildings etc. is a very good way to piss of arty users (assuming the building is between you and the arty!) by blocking LOS and disapearing from the overview map

Using tanks - Don't stop moving if you're on the enemy half of the board; you WILL be artied more often then not if you do and bushes is NOT a hiding place that works (once spotted)

Using tanks - If you go solo you will die to someone who's camping in a bush and gets the first round in on you more often then not (you can also get some glorious charges off if lucky; I've gotten 14 tanks spotted, 4 killed by rushing behind an enemy line with a quick tank)

In general - Have at least two, if not three tanks to rotate between, you'll need it (as you will die early and want to start up a nwe game)

In general - Look at the upgrade paths; sometimes it simply makes sense to rush for a higher tank as it usually means higher experience then grinding out every single item for a tank

In general - If you want to look around hit "x" to "lock" your tank direction and let you swivel around your look (may only work on arty and TD but I'm not sure)

Now a few things I'd like to find out:
    Spotting an enemy arty as arty - I've seen some tracers at times but never managed to see more then that yet I get hammered reguarly by enemy arty, how?

Tank selection - I've gone in vs. KV and even KV3 in my light tanks (i.e. suicide even with my T46 85mm as I'll take 25% of their health and they will one shot me with full upgrades)

The 1/2s listed next to names - How come it tends to be one sided (i.e. I've seen 3 or 4 on one side only) as they are the top players if memory serves

End game tanks - What side(s) are actually good for each class (for example Arty stops at tier 8 on Sovjet but not on US etc.)?

Guns have Xs to target - Is this the time to get to minimum dispersion?

What armor is a arty shell counted against (I've had my 75mm bounce on some tanks :( )?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Spotting an enemy arty as arty - I've seen some tracers at times but never managed to see more then that yet I get hammered reguarly by enemy arty, how?
    most games in the higher tiers, the arty spend msot of their time trying to counter artillery the opponents, trace where their shots are coming from and boom, one shot them.
    The 1/2s listed next to names - How come it tends to be one sided (i.e. I've seen 3 or 4 on one side only) as they are the top players if memory serves
    theyre platoons, groups of friends playing together. premium users can create.
    End game tanks - What side(s) are actually good for each class (for example Arty stops at tier 8 on Sovjet but not on US etc.)?
    the tank trees are still partly incomplete, the US tds have to be added ect. but each side is good at higher tiers, theres no bad high tier tanks as such, just the grinf to the good tanks is a pain in the ass. im going for isu-152 and is-3 or t32. then i will be happy.
    i always try to let the crossheir settle fully before i shoot, not sure wot you mean by the X's
    What armor is a arty shell counted against (I've had my 75mm bounce on some tanks :( )?
    your shells for each vehicle wil ltell you wot armor penetration is like. with arty, you can normally 1 shot a same level tank till u get to about level 5, then it changes a good bit, but you have the hummel or s14 or whatever it is to play with!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Nody wrote: »

Using arty - Sloooow exp; I think it has something to do with not exploring / going over enemy half or something (i.e. my arty damaging 7 tanks / 0 kills ended up with 300 exp and my T34 ends up with 200 minimum with out hitting anything and usually mid 500s)

This is because you get points for spotting other tanks. You don;t do that with arty.

Using tanks - Zoom in before you fire; doing quick drive by shooting usually misses (green circle)

Unless you're good ;)

Using tanks - Learn what tanks you can kill (i.e. my 85mm gun will only scratch a KV tank but will royally damage a light tank)

Damaging a higher tier tanks nets HUGE xp ;)

Go to overhead view, and spot tracers. Aim for where they appear to be emanating from. Search the known arty positions, i.e to the rear of the enemy spawn. I loved doing counter-battery during the beta. Helps your XP, helps the team.

Well personally, Soviet Heavy & Medium, German TD and SPG. I havent made my mind up on the US tanks, as I only got about 4 tiers up during the beta.

Pretty sure thats the distance....

All depends on the thickness of the enemy armour, what shell you're using, and where you hit. If you're bouncing AT rounds, switch to HE to at least get some damage done.

Were you not in the beta? Sounds like you're mentioning things that most of us here have known since last July! (not being critical, I'm just assuming you're fairly new to the game?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

its not what you kill, its a question of how you can track or either harass the higher tier tanks with a lower tier, thereby helping your team by spotting for arty or your TDs

and you also get some exp for other players killing the tank you spotted

its a team game, K/D ratio is not important

I rarely zoom, as with medium tanks you need to do lots of drive-bys, with a good gunner and gun laying drive you will kick ass

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Were you not in the beta? Sounds like you're mentioning things that most of us here have known since last July! (not being critical, I'm just assuming you're fairly new to the game?).
    Only played less then 20 games during beta hence yes, I'm a n00b :)
    Auvers wrote: »
    its not what you kill, its a question of how you can track or either harass the higher tier tanks thereby helping your team by spotting for arty or your TDs
    I'd love to but when a single KV is holding back 4 tanks alone and the Arty can't hit the tank due to the buildings someone has to take the damn thing out (or in my case die trying :o )...
    its a team game, K/D ratio is not important like COD
    Are we playing the same game? At least 90% of all games see a mad rush down one or two sides and usually quite a few solo tank runs (that or people sit in a bush at spawn point for 15 min and the game draws). The game plan (if asked for) is 99% of the time "Kill them all and don't die". Yes, it is a team game on paper but it rarely plays out as one from my experience (I've only done PUG though).
    I rarely zoom, as with medium tanks you need to do lots of drive-bys, with a good gunner and gun laying drive you will kick ass
    Which goes to another question; what is the definition of a good gunner?

I've had my M2 light tank since day 1 and managed to work the crew up to low 70s; I still miss madly with the gun if I try anything but standing still and zoom (or go plate hugging). All other tanks are 60 or less simply because I can upgrade the tank by that stage. I tried moving one set of crew over but got some penalty for that and gave up on that idea and simply gone for upgrading asap instead.

And to clarify, the Xs refers to X number of seconds to target listed on the gun. Most guns are around 2 to 4s mark but I've yet to really figure out what it means in practice.

• Advertisement

Only played less then 20 games during beta hence yes, I'm a n00b :)

I'd love to but when a single KV is holding back 4 tanks alone and the Arty can't hit the tank due to the buildings someone has to take the damn thing out (or in my case die trying :o )...

thats the spirit attack and try to track the KV with HE and maybe some other player will cop your attack and join in, remember the KV cant turn its turret very fast, and if you get killed at least you tried :)
    Are we playing the same game? At least 90% of all games see a mad rush down one or two sides and usually quite a few solo tank runs

This is true, but I mostly play in platoons with voice comms, so when not in a platoon I just play very aggressively, that why I only had a 30% survival rate in the Beta with over 3500+ battles

Which goes to another question; what is the definition of a good gunner

get your crew up to 90% and your tank (tier 3+) will become much better, first thing I always do is stick improved ventilation on a new tank and train my guys up to 70%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well this is what I've learned so far:
    Using arty - Hit left shift to go into zoom mode and target things from far away (took me a few games to find out)

Don't forget to zoom out as soon as you do that!
    Using arty - Angles are a royal pain and can block fire angles; best bet is fully hidden in a bush rather then behind a stone or something (if you get spotted you're dead 99% of the time any way though I managed to tank a S3 Sherman with my T2 Russian Arty, 3/150 hp left and finished him point blank!)

This is a matter of personal preference. Most arty players will, if the range on their guns allows it, sit back in a corner as far from the front line as possible and hide in a bush. Personally, I dislike this for several reasons. Firstly, these corners are usually well known, so the opposition will usually drive their tanks to be in the shadow of arty from these locations. Being somewhere else means you can usually get a bead on targets who think they're secure. Secondly, half the time your team will leave the base utterly undefended, and you're easy meat for a marauding scout. If you move somewhere reasonably close to your front lines, not only are you taking safety in numbers, you also have a shorter flight time and increased accuracy. And, thirdly, counter-battery becomes much more difficult for the opposition if they don't have a vague idea on where to look. The downside is that when it doesn't work out well for you, your life is short and spectacular.
    Using arty - Ensure you have a green line to the tank and the circle zoomed in proper over it; you're not accurate if not and will miss

Be prepared to miss anyway. Devs don't like arty much.

Depends on the tank. Heavies often can do surprisingly well. As a personal issue, though, I don't like firing on the move except for suppression effect. (Makes the opposition think he's been spotted)
    Using tanks - Personal preference is for a long cannon turret (i.e. accuracy) and as large shell as possible; you want to cause maximum damage on the first hit to avoid return fire

Another dispute is the difference between impulse damage caused, and overall damage per minute capability. Personally, I like the single big round with a long aim time. However, small, rapid guns can be effective. The 6pr on Ram/Churchill can cause quite a shock to most medium tanks.
    In general - Have at least two, if not three tanks to rotate between, you'll need it (as you will die early and want to start up a nwe game)

To expand on that, if you've not figured it out yet, if you're dead, you don't need to watch to the end of the battle. You can bail out, and start a new game with another tank in your garage. Of course, you can stay too, if you're curious, or so you can hurl insults from the grave.
    In general - Look at the upgrade paths; sometimes it simply makes sense to rush for a higher tank as it usually means higher experience then grinding out every single item for a tank

Generally speaking, if the item on the tree is used on a tank I plan on using in the future, I'll unlock it at the lower level. That way you're not opening up in a new tier in a bone-stock tank. If not, then it just depends on how long I want to keep the tank I have now.
    In general - If you want to look around hit "x" to "lock" your tank direction and let you swivel around your look (may only work on arty and TD but I'm not sure)

Hold the right mouse button down, it will stop all traverse of hull or turret as you look around.

First possibility: You're in 'known' artillery deployment territory, makes it easy for the opposition to know where you are. If you must stay in a 'hot spot', then the way to avoid getting hammered regularly is to move a few tank lengths immediately after every shot. (You can move your arty while in overhead view, so as soon as you hit 'fire', hit the forward/back key and you're moving before you see your round impact).

Counterbattery is usually easier against low-tier artillery, because they have such a high rate of fire and thus leave lots of trails pointing back to them. It's much rarer at higher levels when there's only one shot every 30 seconds at best. Arty players at that level will prefer to shoot at what they can see, else they're wasting their capability in the hope that they might see the once-a-minute trace in the area they happen to be looking.

Second possibility, you're spotted by a scout. Not much you can do about that.
    Tank selection - I've gone in vs. KV and even KV3 in my light tanks (i.e. suicide even with my T46 85mm as I'll take 25% of their health and they will one shot me with full upgrades)

That would be an expected result. Light tank beats heavy tank should not be a normal occurrence. Heavy tank swats light tank is about normal.

Platoon members, as mentioned. Worth knowing because usually they will stay together, if you see one, the other two will probably be nearby.

Depends on where it lands. My GW-Tiger (Rust in peace) could not unusually one-shot an IS-7 if I hit it in the right place.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

If i buy gold, does my account stay premium? Or will it expire back to standard?

EDIT: found my answer :(

Korvanica wrote: »
    If i buy gold, does my account stay premium? Or will it expire back to standard?

??

You use gold to buy a premium account. Your account stays premium for the duration of time you've bought a premium account for - regardless of anything else.

Gold can be used for ammo, converting XP, and buying a premium account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Anyone else lost connectivity to the Wargaming servers tonight? Tracerts if you got 'em please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

Spear wrote: »
    Anyone else lost connectivity to the Wargaming servers tonight? Tracerts if you got 'em please.

I did. And I saw a couple of Irish lads on the wot forum saying they had too. I was running through the streets with my arty going to take a big chuck off a T-32 when It happend :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bus77II wrote: »
    I did. And I saw a couple of Irish lads on the wot forum saying they had too. I was running through the streets with my arty going to take a big chuck off a T-32 when It happend :(

I suspect I know what's happening and it'll get sorted.

In brighter news the 105mm with HE on the Hetzer doesn't so much damage enemy tanks, so much as it vapourises them.

The 105 is definitely the way to go on the Hetzer. T20 and maybe M4 as well.

You can put it on StuG, but most people will pick the long 75.

NTM

Question, on a tank that is pointed to by TWO tanks do you need to get both tanks to get it? If so I've got a lovely 2x 152k exp grind ahead of me :(

Oh and any idea if they will fix the exp. imbalance between TDs, Arties and normal tanks? With that I mean TDs are glass cannons (limited arc of view to fire, poor back/side armor etc.) and Arties are glass cannon++ with better range and neither are good for scouting. Now that would be fine if TDs/Arties were gaining a ton of exp from kills but they are no better (and usually worse) then the tanks on killing (looking at the killing in general on scoring and the fact they got limited arc, less survivability and with arties less accuracy and ROF) and don't get scouting exp (camping something usually) means they get rare. Now when I play my Tier 5 tank I get 1/3 games with out arties, 1/3 with 1 each and 1/3 with 2 each. TDs are slightly more common and usually you see 2 per side and rest is tanks...

Question, on a tank that is pointed to by TWO tanks do you need to get both tanks to get it? If so I've got a lovely 2x 152k exp grind ahead of me :(

No, any entry point will do. For example I went from Leighttrator, to Panzer 35(t) to 38(t) to Hetzer without the need for PanzerJager 1 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

No, those branches are just there in case you want to switch lines mid way.

Oh and any idea if they will fix the exp. imbalance between TDs, Arties and normal tanks? With that I mean TDs are glass cannons (limited arc of view to fire, poor back/side armor etc.) and Arties are glass cannon++ with better range and neither are good for scouting. Now that would be fine if TDs/Arties were gaining a ton of exp from kills but they are no better (and usually worse) then the tanks on killing (looking at the killing in general on scoring and the fact they got limited arc, less survivability and with arties less accuracy and ROF) and don't get scouting exp (camping something usually) means they get rare. Now when I play my Tier 5 tank I get 1/3 games with out arties, 1/3 with 1 each and 1/3 with 2 each. TDs are slightly more common and usually you see 2 per side and rest is tanks...

There is no exo imbalance. Each type of tank has its own merits, and its own play style.

Learn how to use each to its capabilities and you will earn as much XP in each.

tds ftw, currently crusin around in my su-100

• Advertisement

With that I mean TDs are glass cannons (limited arc of view to fire, poor back/side armor etc.)

They also tend to have bigger cannons and heavier front armour than their tank counterparts.
    and Arties are glass cannon++ with better range and neither are good for scouting.

Why would you want to scout with artillery if you have a choice in the matter? Sit a little behind the front lines, and lob shells at the enemy outside of line of sight. (You do know to hit 'shift' as artillery to get to satellite view, right?)

NTM

They also tend to have bigger cannons and heavier front armour than their tank counterparts.
    Which push them towards camping as they are vulnerable if flanked. No scouting + limited arc of shooting + not mobile tends to lead to a death with less experience then a tank (this excludes that I'm very rarely going up against same level tank in my TD or as a tank vs. enemy TDs; they are usually one or two levels below and likely to be one/two shotted quickly even from the front.
    Why would you want to scout with artillery if you have a choice in the matter? Sit a little behind the front lines, and lob shells at the enemy outside of line of sight. (You do know to hit 'shift' as artillery to get to satellite view, right?)
    Only problem here is that someone has to scout them for you and between scatter, RoF and angles you're lucky to kill more then one tank a round and are a sitting duck if someone comes close. That leads to once again minimal experience due to limited damage, limited tanks killed and high probability to be taken out early by a quick tank.

Now I'm not disputing Dublin_Gunner's point per say but the simple fact is as I'm going higher I see less and less arties and TDs (arties more so then TDs) and if I go down to my light/medium tanks I see easily 3+ arties (usually 4 or even 5 per side) in every game.

I don't think all artie (and to a lesser extend TDs) players decided to suddenly play them less/start later; rather I think in general most people simply get less exp per match on them making the slower to level up compared to their tanks. This is only added to the fact when I look at the scoreboards that Arties tend to have few/no kills, TDs do better but since TDs don't scout in general even if they pull even kills with tanks they lose the scout experience. Anyway those are my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

As you go higher you will see less arty because their more annoying to play at higher tiers. Slow reload, slow to aim but with the same random shell drop as lower tiers. Also ammo costs a lot for them as you go higher.
    However you wouldn't want lots of high tier arty in games anyway as the bigger arty can 1 shot kill almost anything. And their splash damage alone will kill tier 6 and below.

You will see more TD as the weeks go by. The normal tanks are easier to play so most people play them at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Loving my Panzer V-IV. I've put improved ventilation, spall liner & improved optics on it. Even with using 100octane gasoline on it I still make at least 10k credits per battle and in winning battles 20-40k. Looking forward to the next patch when the tracking mechanics change and my uber scout really comes into its own.

Oh and I've managed to hit a new personal record, 35 hits and surviving in one battle in my KV3 (I pity the gunners who kept on shooting and still not succeeding 93 hp left).

Which push them towards camping as they are vulnerable if flanked. No scouting + limited arc of shooting + not mobile tends to lead to a death with less experience then a tank (this excludes that I'm very rarely going up against same level tank in my TD or as a tank vs. enemy TDs; they are usually one or two levels below and likely to be one/two shotted quickly even from the front.

It's not camping, it's waiting in ambush. Tank destroyers are defensive vehicles both historically and in the game. Ideally, you use them to secure a flank while the tanks go up the other flank. When the team works together, it's great. I recall on Lakeville we didn't even contest the town (we started South), and four TDs set up a PaKFront, just nailed everything that tried to come out.

Absolutely, they're vulnerable if flanked. But you can't have a vehicle that's great at everything. Except T-54.
    Only problem here is that someone has to scout them for you and between scatter, RoF and angles you're lucky to kill more then one tank a round and are a sitting duck if someone comes close.

You're doing it wrong. When fully kitted out, for example, my Marder is a lethal killer with an average of four kills per battle, and it will eat anything up to a KV from the front. The 3" gun gives it a lot of bite, and the small size combined with camo netting means it's hard for the enemy to see you to shoot back. TDs need a good radio, and periscopes don't hurt at all either.
    Now I'm not disputing Dublin_Gunner's point per say but the simple fact is as I'm going higher I see less and less arties and TDs (arties more so then TDs) and if I go down to my light/medium tanks I see easily 3+ arties (usually 4 or even 5 per side) in every game.
    I don't think all artie (and to a lesser extend TDs) players decided to suddenly play them less/start later;

For arty, at least, it's true. One of the most popular complaints on the WoT forum is the 'satellite guided precision strike artillery', and people demanding that it be removed from the game. The normal response is 'Dude. Try it out for a few games.' So they do.

A lot of 'tank' players will start an artillery line just to see how they work, and to learn what they can do to avoid being killed by them. They'll only do the first couple of tiers, then stop as there's nothing left to learn.

In my case, artillery was my money-maker in Beta, but with the three premium tanks I have, there's just no need for that role. The Beta Gift Sherman, for example, makes 10-20k profit per match even if I lose. As a result, I'm focusing all my current attention on graduating up the tank trees, with an American artillery tree sortof getting the 'out of curiousity, what's the Priest like?' useage every now and then.

And eventually, you get to a level where it's just less fun. GWTiger gave a hell of a satisfying punch on the rare occasions I could actually get a shot off which hits. You spend a 10-minute game, and shoot three or four rounds in the entire game because of the incredibly long reload, aiming and movement times, and then due to the accuracy nerfs, you half the time don't even see a hit. Smaller artillery at the Hummel or Priest levels are a lot more fun.
    This is only added to the fact when I look at the scoreboards that Arties tend to have few/no kills, TDs do better but since TDs don't scout in general even if they pull even kills with tanks they lose the scout experience. Anyway those are my 2c :)

Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because arty has few kills that it's ineffective. The 'Confederate' award will go to an artillerypiece more often than not. One of the most important uses of artillery is simply knocking the bejesus out of heavy tanks down to a sufficiently low level that a tank (with its higher rate of fire) can deal the killing punch. It's a team game, remember.

NTM

shot079.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

"Alright, I'm now willing to accept your surrenders."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

While grinding to get credits to buy a hetzer, I've come to love my 38t.

Its a glutton for punishment, and when fully upgraded, its a nimble little tank. And with the 47mm it can punch through most light tanks and the backs and sides of most medium and tank destroyers.

I've come to play to those advantages, hiding in the bushes and taking shots at anything that I can hit going by (except KVs :P)

I can't remember the map, but its the one with the half city and sorta half parkland area. I somehow managed to become the last man alive with only 10% hp remaining and a damaged track. I repositioned myself so I could see my flag while being camouflaged.

A few minutes later a Hetzer wheels up and tries to capture the flag. He wheels around the back facing me. Carefully took aim and bam, HP down from 56% to 23%. He immediately wheels around trying to face me, but the 47 loaded faster. Another shot in the side finished him off.

1 down, two left. My heart was in my throat now

A few minutes later a stug trys to capture the flag. I could see him but he couldnt see me. Except the front amour was facing me and my shots would bounce off. I could do nothing and the flag timer was ticking away. A T-28 then arrives in to help capture the flag, with only another 1% left. I could take that :D. I waited until the timer was about to run out so hopefully I could survive the battle and get a kill too.

Carefullly took aim at the side of the T-28 and shot. One more kill to the list. Except the timer didn't run out. The Stug moved out of the circle and reset the timer. I got one damaging shot in before the stug punched right through me.

Moral of the story is. Don't dis the 38t, its a mighty little machine :)

• Advertisement

if you hit an enemy tank thats capturing flag the timer goes back by a certain % ;)

grats on the enjoying game, having some serious fun in my su100 with the looooooooooooooooooooooong gun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement