Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII TANK MMO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so the isu-152 needed suspension upgraded to take bl10, so i upgraded the suspension, and am now grinding back to bl10 again.

i bought the bl09 for the is3, so i have an extra 100 penetration now, havent had a proper chance to test it out yet.

was too busy with my easy8.

went and bought the last gun and engine for it (hadnt bothered with them before as i wanted t20 from day1 of the e8) and bought myself the rammer and holy sh1t its like a different tank. the reload is like 3 seconds if even, and the little gun packs a fair aul punch consider im bottom of msot peoples list..

im actually looking forward to the 40k xp grind ahead of me for the t20!

The gun on the Easy 8 - is that the 76mm AT gun like on my Wolverine / Slugger? Great little gun. Doesn;t do enough damage, but the reload is crazy.

I got the 90mm from my Slugger. Makes it a different tank. Great for damaging up to about Tier 8. Its a money maker now (though sort of want to get to the T-25 to see what its like).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

probably the same gun alright, useless on a td id say, but ona medium it rocks, taking tigers down to like 10% before they even know whos firing at them, and then bang, im gone before they can even get a shot off.

fookin love mediums now!! nice to have a change in the game

The rof is great for annoying tanks from a distance, but doesn't have enough punch for a TD gun.

Saying that, the Wolverine / Slugger can be played like a light tank - but with a decent gun so its not all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭G-spec

May not be around for the next couple of nights. Having terrible pc trouble at the moment, crashing every other game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did I mention that if I ever meet someone in person who calls M36 "Slugger" that I was going to slap him?

The cannon on M10 and M4 should not be the same. The M10 used the 3" gun, the M4(76) a 76.2mm. Both were of exactly the same calibre and used the same projectiles, but the pressure loadings and shape of the casing were a bit different, which is why one was labelled with the imperial 3" measurement and the other with the 76mm metric name, to reduce the chances of the wrong ammunition being routed to the tank or TD units.

NTM

• Advertisement

Did I mention that if I ever meet someone in person who calls M36 "Slugger" that I was going to slap him?

The cannon on M10 and M4 should not be the same. The M10 used the 3" gun, the M4(76) a 76.2mm. Both were of exactly the same calibre and used the same projectiles, but the pressure loadings and shape of the casing were a bit different, which is why one was labelled with the imperial 3" measurement and the other with the 76mm metric name, to reduce the chances of the wrong ammunition being routed to the tank or TD units.

NTM

Well 'Slugger' is the designation this side of the pond ;)

Jackson sounds much better IMO. Funnily, the upgraded M36 (as I have in my garage now) is the post war variety, with the additional armoured hatch, and co-drivers machine gun.

Its a great little TD, capable of damaging most things (even Tier 9 & 10) and gets a critical hit with nearly every shot.

Its weak on the armour side though, but is quick enough to get in and out playing peek-a-boo.

I had a great round in a clan battle yesterday (one that we were forfeiting) and I hid on Mines in the long grass in the water, and took a T-32 down to about 10% (after admittedly about 20 shots lol) before I was killed by another TD. Got sniper :D

Well 'Slugger' is the designation this side of the pond

From which country? Britain never used the vehicle at all, as far as I can tell (and it wouldn't fit with their naming conventions anyway), neither did Ireland, and I can't imagine the French or Yugoslavs calling it that.

Frankly, I'm not happy with the 'Wolverine' usage either, but since it's possible it was the Canadian name for it, I'm more willing to let it slide. "Hellcat" is about as justifiable in the American tree as "Sherman" or "Lee", inaccurate, but commonly used.

NTM

From which country? Britain never used the vehicle at all, as far as I can tell (and it wouldn't fit with their naming conventions anyway), neither did Ireland, and I can't imagine the French or Yugoslavs calling it that.

Frankly, I'm not happy with the 'Wolverine' usage either, but since it's possible it was the Canadian name for it, I'm more willing to let it slide. "Hellcat" is about as justifiable in the American tree as "Sherman" or "Lee", inaccurate, but commonly used.

NTM

I think 'Slugger' was the British nickname for the vehicle.

That's what some sites on the Web say.

Problem is... I have never seen a reputable reference to M36 ever being used by the British. Neither does it fit with any British vehicle naming convention. I am firmly of the belief that someone, somewhere, posted some incorrect information up once, and it caught on.

NTM

That's what some sites on the Web say.

Problem is... I have never seen a reputable reference to M36 ever being used by the British. Neither does it fit with any British vehicle naming convention. I am firmly of the belief that someone, somewhere, posted some incorrect information up once, and it caught on.

NTM

The British would not have had to use it, to have a nickname for it...

Either way, unless you're from a time contemporary to its first use, and recall what the vehicle was called, you can only go on what little evidence there is around.

• Advertisement

And for the M4 Medium, the Germans didn't use it much, but they also had a nickname for them. So should the tank be listed on the tree as "M4 Tommycooker?" Or the American nickname, "M4 Ronson"?

NTM

By your logic noone should refer to the Mitsubishi M6N Rei-Sen as a 'Zero' or 'Zeke'... :rolleyes:

And I'm sure Germans would still refer to it as a Tommy Cooker.

Different names were given to different vehicles by everyone, stop getting up on your high-hirse because its not a name you associate with it.

By your logic noone should refer to the Mitsubishi M6N Rei-Sen as a 'Zero' or 'Zeke'... :rolleyes:

And I'm sure Germans would still refer to it as a Tommy Cooker.

Different names were given to different vehicles by everyone, stop getting up on your high-hirse because its not a name you associate with it.

It comes back to the old question of what responsibility to history the media has. Particularly movies. When U571 came out, for example, there was no small level of annoyance at the historical revisionism in thee public knowledge.

I spend a lot of my time working at a tank museum, teaching history. It annoys me no end to be undermined and fighting a losing battle with ' common knowledge' garnered from movies, TV and computers.
    Do you have any idea how many people today think that American soldiers in WWII called the M4 "Sherman" or that the reason German tanks didn't seem to catch fire as often was due to being powered by diesels? If we allow media retro activisms to become truths, what's the point in knowing history to begin with?

Your Zero/Zeke analogy fails because they were official names, sanctioned in writing. "Zero", the Japanese Navy's official type designation for the aircraft, and "Zeke" the official Allied reporting name. Mike Sparks' campaign to have people refer to M113 as 'Gavin' is roundly lambasted with good reason. Just because some random person thinks it's cool or a good idea should not bootstrap something to common acceptance.

So yes, I will stay on my high horse and strongly resist any movement to commonly associate M36 with the name "Slugger."

NTM

Does in reality, it really matter what nickname someone gives a vehicle? As they were not official designations anyway (for the most part).

So tell rather than jumping down everyone's neck for using a designation that you don't agree with, how about enlightening us with the real unofficial designations, that are historically accurate?

Would you like to maybe start a thread where you could list them all for people's information?

However, it really bares very little importance, considering the main reason for giving unofficial titles is in order to easily and quicklym identify the vehicle to others.

Whether people called a vehicle the 'Jackson' the 'Sherman' or the 'Donkey Bollox' really doesn't matter. They would all know that it referred to the particular vehicle.

Does in reality, it really matter what nickname someone gives a vehicle? As they were not official designations anyway (for the most part).

If you care about public knowledge of correct history, yes.
    So tell rather than jumping down everyone's neck for using a designation that you don't agree with, how about enlightening us with the real unofficial designations, that are historically accurate?

Would you like to maybe start a thread where you could list them all for people's information?

If things go as they seem to be, give it a few weeks. My insistance on historical accuracy which doesn't affect gameplay appears to be bearing some useful fruit.
    Whether people called a vehicle the 'Jackson' the 'Sherman' or the 'Donkey Bollox' really doesn't matter. They would all know that it referred to the particular vehicle.

But it does matter. Can you imagine the furore which would happen if suddenly popular culture decreed for no particular reason that an aircraft should be referred to as "Deathwing" or something instead of "Spitfire"? M36 had an official name. M36. It has an unofficial name which garnered some post-facto recognition by the Army, Jackson, when it took up the British (official) policy of naming vehicles after US Generals. The only reason that 'Slugger' is taking root is because it sounds cool, not because it's shorter to type than M36 or because was the accepted moniker. If people want to, on a personal level, use a cool community name for something, that's fine. Most of us know what the "MiniMaus" is, a lot of people refer to it as the "MiniMaus", and that's despite the fact that the game uses the correct term for it, 38H. But despite everyone calling it a colloquial name, everyone knows without a doubt that it's a community name with no authority behind it. I am far less convinced that there is such awareness with M36.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

In other news the S-51 is so good every other match I get accused of being a haxer, such entertainment, harvesting the tears of the angsty.

For just three kills?!

I had seven or eight in my M7 Priest once, god knows how he'd have taken that

M4A3E8 is proving to be quite the handy little moneyspinner. 25-30k profit a game, unless you have a disaster. I think I'll keep it. (Got another 3.7 million to grind for T30)

NTM

e8 rocks alright, bought the stabiliser last night for it, still grinding towards the t20.

kinda sick of ehavies at the moment, playing with the is-3, kv (so i can egt s-51), lowe for free xp.. to just jump into a tank that does about 47kph is so fulfilling!!

If you care about public knowledge of correct history, yes.

If things go as they seem to be, give it a few weeks. My insistance on historical accuracy which doesn't affect gameplay appears to be bearing some useful fruit.

But it does matter. Can you imagine the furore which would happen if suddenly popular culture decreed for no particular reason that an aircraft should be referred to as "Deathwing" or something instead of "Spitfire"? M36 had an official name. M36. It has an unofficial name which garnered some post-facto recognition by the Army, Jackson, when it took up the British (official) policy of naming vehicles after US Generals. The only reason that 'Slugger' is taking root is because it sounds cool, not because it's shorter to type than M36 or because was the accepted moniker. If people want to, on a personal level, use a cool community name for something, that's fine. Most of us know what the "MiniMaus" is, a lot of people refer to it as the "MiniMaus", and that's despite the fact that the game uses the correct term for it, 38H. But despite everyone calling it a colloquial name, everyone knows without a doubt that it's a community name with no authority behind it. I am far less convinced that there is such awareness with M36.

NTM

I'm a stickler for correctness myself, sorry if I sounded argumentative. I actually think 'Slugger' is a bloody stupid name for it anyway.

I'd actually quite like to see a list of the in-game tanks with their proper / historically correct names - I wasn't being smart about that! (you being the tank expert and all that).

And back to the game for a second - I <3 my M36 :)

BY the way - the clan reached its first Landing Battle Final yesterday - we played bloody great. We lost the final to a very strong team - but we made them work hard for it.

For just three kills?!

M4A3E8 is proving to be quite the handy little moneyspinner. 25-30k profit a game, unless you have a disaster. I think I'll keep it. (Got another 3.7 million to grind for T30)

NTM

I've had 6 numerous times in Grille/Hummel/GW Panther.

There was one funny match where myself and MercenaryIreland were firing at a T-54 through a window on Malinovka. We were both SPG's, and he was the 'no mans land' side of the building at out base (south).

The guy went nuts, telling us he has a video he's going to 'review' because there was no way we could have hit him and were obviously using hacks.

His own team were even taking the piss out of him for being so stupid.

Funny thing was, I hit him directly through the window, and Merc splash damaged him to death.

The game does have a good few moron's playing it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

every game has them!!

err, while were talking about it, we'rent the IS tanks actually named JS, after Joseph Stalin, so the game names should JS-3 etc?

every game has them!!

err, while were talking about it, we'rent the IS tanks actually named JS, after Joseph Stalin, so the game names should JS-3 etc?

In Russian Joseph starts with an I (Iosef)

For just three kills?!

Well what happened was, first I blind shotted a likely spot where arty hides and got him, then I killed a t29 with the next shot that happened to be his platoon mate, then I got a lucky shot on a moving panther which was his other platoon mate, so inside 3 minutes I had wiped out his whole platoon (wasn't trying to it just happened like that)

So I Spent the next 10 minutes listening to OMFGHACKER crying from them

every game has them!!

Eh Copey - you didn;t happen to see a thread I responded to on the official forums did you??

His name is 'Iosef Stalin'. IS is the correct term. 'Joseph' is the Anglicised version.

thanks for clearin that up lads, and no dg i didnt see your thread!

thanks for clearin that up lads, and no dg i didnt see your thread!

There's an IS1/2 thread and some guy went in (not like you asking the question) but trying to tell everyone the devs got it wrong and it should be JS.

Needless to say he got slated!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I despise the M3 Lee, it's an undriveable clunker.

jesus the m3 is sh1t alright, why would someone design such a tank!!

hated it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

These EU server stats turned up:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/46554-unofficial-eu-server-statistics/

Interesting to note that IS7 owners are just short of the combined amount of T30 and Maus owners.

• Advertisement

Lowe - 18426

18426 * 30 euro = e552,780

they sure made their money of that eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement