Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSX Aircraft Designers

• 02-05-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Anyone good at designing aircraft from scratch for FSX?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've read into very briefly, not sure about packaging it up into a working aircraft, but can definitely do the modelling if anyone else wants to package it.

What type were you thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

PiperSport/Czech SportsCruiser! I'd love to start a business designing planes for flight sim that would be a great job to flight test each one in real life :)

pclancy wrote: »
    PiperSport/Czech SportsCruiser! I'd love to start a business designing planes for flight sim that would be a great job to flight test each one in real life :)

Designing aircraft for a flight sim is without a doubt my dream job!
    I may have some time to kill next weekend, and if I can find some good reference images of the piper ill put a model together. You'll need someone with experience with the fsx sdk tho, as i've never used it. If that cant be done, at least you'll have some pretty pictures of the plane!

Heres a couple of models I've done:
    B744 Virgin
    4114840757_51ca9b7099_b.jpg

Red Bull Extra 300s - Work in Progress
    wallno.jpg

and my 3D showreel has some animations of the two models above from 0:38 to 1:07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Very nice work,Stee. What modelling software do you use...3D-Max? Have you also built interior model including virtual cockpits?
    FSX is a much better sim to work with as there are no poly limits,afaik. The external model is separate to the VC model too.
    Unfortunately it's VERY,VERY difficult to earn a living building aircraft for flightsim's. The mesh is generally seen as the easy bit....gauge modelling (mostly 3d these days for better performance), flight systems integration and accurate FDE characteristics are a lot harder to do right and experts in these fields are highly sought after by the developers.

I'd love to see a Socata Rallye built for FSX.

Nforce wrote: »
    Very nice work,Stee. What modelling software do you use...3D-Max? Have you also built interior model including virtual cockpits?
    FSX is a much better sim to work with as there are no poly limits,afaik. The external model is separate to the VC model too.
    Unfortunately it's VERY,VERY difficult to earn a living building aircraft for flightsim's. The mesh is generally seen as the easy bit....gauge modelling (mostly 3d these days for better performance), flight systems integration and accurate FDE characteristics are a lot harder to do right and experts in these fields are highly sought after by the developers.

I'd love to see a Socata Rallye built for FSX.

Yes its 3Ds max and the images are rendered with vRay, but thats not important anyway with flight sims.

The only interior I've ever done is the 747 cabin interior, but had a HUGE poly count. I've messed about with low-poly models before, its quite difficult/interesting at the same time. I'm not used to keeping an eye on poly-count as I usually create still images.

I might try model something low-poly anyway and see how I get on. I could always just use the cfg file from a cessna or extra 300s with a custom model and see how it goes. I suppose it gets difficult when trying to animate throttle levers, spoilers, rudders, landing gear, etc.

The only customisation i've ever done was take the elephant model from the scenery file (used in one of the search missions) and dump it in the 747 folder replacing the 747 model and take that for a spin. Good craic. :D

• Advertisement

Stee wrote: »

The only customisation i've ever done was take the elephant model from the scenery file (used in one of the search missions) and dump it in the 747 folder replacing the 747 model and take that for a spin. Good craic. :D

Reminds me of this..

:d

What FSX is sorely lacking are good low poly native FSX Ai aircraft....there's definitely a gap in the market for those. No need for interior's either. :)

Sorry for the thread resurrection... but was interested to know if you'd come any further with your FS modelling? :)

Advertisement