Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best ping possible to uk server?

• 02-05-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am trying to work out if there is any difference between isp's and ping times to uk servers. If anyone has a spare minute, can they do me a favour and run the speedtest.net test to their server in Manchester - and post the link to the results back here.

That way, i can check if there is any significant difference.

Need to know as its important for an app I am running.

thanks in advance.
    801230597.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

801239027.png

HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

801250848.png

16005570.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hi. I am trying to work out if there is any difference between isp's and ping times to uk servers. If anyone has a spare minute, can they do me a favour and run the speedtest.net test to their server in Manchester - and post the link to the results back here.

That way, i can check if there is any significant difference.

Need to know as its important for an app I am running.

thanks in advance.
    801230597.png

Use the ping command, speedtest aint reliable for pings imo.

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.141] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.244.141: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54
    Reply from 212.58.244.141: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=54
    Reply from 212.58.244.141: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54
    Reply from 212.58.244.141: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54

Pinging www.multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.68] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54
    Reply from 85.236.96.68: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54

Eircom 3MB

Be warned I have this exact same connection in another apartment and the big times are double for some reason, different bras :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Speedtest.net is crap, but as requested.

801384042.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends WHICH technology and exchange you are on with your ISP too.

You'll get 20ms to 70ms for SAME isp, depending on if Wireless, bitstream DSL, or LLU DSL to UK.

Bitstream DSL will be similar no matter which ISP you have as a lot of the latency is in the Interleaving at DSLAM and also IP over ATM conversion.

So Metro, UPC cable and LLU DSL will be better.

It will vary a little with ISP too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Here is my results

801579878.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

nuxxx wrote: »
    Use the ping command, speedtest aint reliable for pings imo

Many ISPs prioritize ping packets (both ICMP and UDP) in order to show artificially low latency. Thus results of the ping command are not necessarily a reliable indication of real-world latency (e.g. game lag)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

801595610.png

16030345.png

ask for ur connection to be changed to fastpath as opposed to interleaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thanks folks.
    tazzzZ wrote: »
    ask for ur connection to be changed to fastpath as opposed to interleaving.
    I'm on bitstream - and have asked my isp to remove interleaving. Would be great to get that sort of improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

802382469.png

16085738.png

Tested using 3 meg vodafone - here's the line config:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 26.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 6 0

• Advertisement

i am currently with smart but i dont see why digiweb couldnt do it for you or at the very least change u to smart.

tbh though if upc is avail in ur area id prob go for that. the difference in terms of price is just to good. 30 mb upc is cheaper than the 9 mb smart that i am on. unfortunately for me upc bb is not avail at all in my area (which i find kind of suprising since i live in clondalkin).

i am currently with smart but i dont see why digiweb couldnt do it for you or at the very least change u to smart.

tbh though if upc is avail in ur area id prob go for that. the difference in terms of price is just to good. 30 mb upc is cheaper than the 9 mb smart that i am on. unfortunately for me upc bb is not avail at all in my area (which i find kind of suprising since i live in clondalkin).
    I'm on smart too - although its bitstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bitstream (resold eircom wholesale) is typically poorer latency (ping) than LLU DSL for various reasons.

I got on to Smart but they reckon I am already on low interleaving profile and that they can't turn off interleaving completely. Would the ping shown in my original post suggest that I am on low interleaving (bitstream line)?

I got on to Smart but they reckon I am already on low interleaving profile and that they can't turn off interleaving completely. Would the ping shown in my original post suggest that I am on low interleaving (bitstream line)?
    Am I being told a load of cobblers? Is there a way of taking this any further?

Well, i've asked them again if they can put the request in to eircon to get it taken off...will see what happens..

i made the request on the smart forums back when it was smart and not digiweb. there was no hastle at all. essentially ur not on interleaving at all but fastpath. this is only really beneficial for gaming and if ur line can handle it. I tried it at 12mb on fastpath and my line screwed up. signal dropped constantly. I dropped back to 9mb and it seems to be ok. although i will say that the issues did coincide with the change over to digiweb.

i made the request on the smart forums back when it was smart and not digiweb.
    I went through their forums and was advised to contact customer/tech support. They initially came back with a no - but I've now asked them to send the request through to eircon...

afaik its done by smart and not eircom. its down to their LLU settings for ur connection. they only rent the line off eircom. its them who apply and control all settings over that line. are u on ADSL or ADSL2+?

afaik its done by smart and not eircom. its down to their LLU settings for ur connection.
    Your right of course - but its a bitstream line - not LLU unfortunately.

Although, do my stats in the original post suggest that i'm on 'low' interleaving as they stated?

• Advertisement

in fairness they arent bad. id say they probably are. im not too sure if fastpath is avail on old ADSL. should look into it. least that way u have something to go back to them with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

vodafone 7mb

814722795.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pizzican

I'm on eircom 3MB.
    Based in Limerick

814786863.png

16887892.png

I heard back from Smart and they say they've checked and its not possible to get it switched off...

Has anyone on a bitstream product ever got interleaving switched off?

I'm moving to utv now (not because of interleaving - due to random disconnects). Anyways, I have asked them the same thing. I said seeing as they had to get in contact with eircom wholesale to get the line ported over, they could get interleaving dropped anyways. But they are insisting they can do this with a 'profile change' once i've been ported over. Not so sure myself but we will see.

Has anyone managed to motivate utv in the past into getting interleaving taken off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

I'm moving to utv now (not because of interleaving - due to random disconnects). Anyways, I have asked them the same thing. I said seeing as they had to get in contact with eircom wholesale to get the line ported over, they could get interleaving dropped anyways. But they are insisting they can do this with a 'profile change' once i've been ported over. Not so sure myself but we will see.

Has anyone managed to motivate utv in the past into getting interleaving taken off?
    I have yes. They do indeed do a 'profile switch'.

However, from my experience, they only had profiles with low interleaving at 1mb lower speed than your actual package speed..

i.e. 7mb on normal interleaving = 6mb on low interleaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Same here, low interleaving on any package below 7Mb but not turned off, my line is actually more stable on the 7.6Mb with standard interleaving rather than less speed with lower interleaving......UTV customer too.

Gaw_ wrote: »
    I have yes.
    Ok. Do you mind running the speedtest to manchester - I want to see what sort of ping that gets u....thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

831418437.png17909430.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.160] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.246.160: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=54
    Reply from 212.58.246.160: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.160:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: