Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best ping possible to uk server?

2»

Comments

17941019.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

watty wrote: »
    So Metro, UPC cable and LLU DSL will be better.

True!

17982811.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thanks for the replies folks. I've made the switch to utv now. Heres my first speedtest;
    843967704.png
    and pingtest...
    18596931.png
    I can't tell from this netgear router config if interleaving is switched on but would assume it is. I have asked them to switch it off. Will see what happens.

Q. Has anyone on UTV bitstream managed to motivate them to have interleaving turned off???

UTV tell me they can't turn interleaving off - or rather wont go back to eircom wholesale and request them to take it off. Just wondering if anyone has managed to achieve this with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

UTV tell me they can't turn interleaving off - or rather wont go back to eircom wholesale and request them to take it off. Just wondering if anyone has managed to achieve this with them?

I had numerous attempts with them, same answer everytime " eircon wont allow it ", they did turn it onto the "low" setting though and it halved my ping time so I was happy.....I find them very helpful and I believe Eircon do tie their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

847936722.png

18812242.png

they did turn it onto the "low" setting though and it halved my ping time so I was happy
    Hi mate. If thats the case, according to your earlier post, then I am already on a low interleaving profile with utv...?
    I did try to run speedtest this morning to see if things had changed and I was getting double what I orginally got - however, theres a possiblity that someone else was online in the house at the time...so I will have to go back and check it when I go home tonight...
    I had numerous attempts with them, same answer everytime " eircon wont allow it ".....I find them very helpful and I believe Eircon do tie their hands.
    Quite possible - but it should be made widely known straight up by the bitstream isp's that Eircom are stonewalling them on it. It may not do any good, but any abuse/pressure should be then shifted to eircom wholesale..

I dont use ping/speed test to test my ping although the magnet one is quite good, I use the dos prompt to ping an Irish site, it was over 50ms and now it is less than 30ms, I really cant hope for better on my line and it is fine for gaming online.......more so the host causes me issues with lag(MW2) rather than my own connection.

P.S. a lot of modems will tell you the interleaving depth in the stats area, that give you an idea of what yours is set at?

Well, I contacted utv following them saying that they couldnt remove interleaving and they came back suggesting that they had 'got eircom to lower interleaving'. I know it doesnt work like this. I ran the same benchmark test a few times and if anything its a tiny bit higher than when I first joined utv.

I contacted them again and they have come back confirming that they have changed my profile. They changed it alright! Doubled my ping and halved by download/upload speeds :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The fascination with ping continues to amaze me. There is little difference in actual experience between say 18ms and 35ms. Stability of ping (jitter) is more important IMHO.

You learn to play based on your ping anyways - as long as the ping is stable ...

Chaz wrote: »
    The fascination with ping continues to amaze me. There is little difference in actual experience between say 18ms and 35ms. Stability of ping (jitter) is more important IMHO.

You learn to play based on your ping anyways - as long as the ping is stable ...

True...the unwritten rule I was always advised that any ping under 100ms would be fine. COD drives me/people ping mad!! Its an obsession!! LOL.

I get better performance on my 7.6Mb profile with "standard" interleaving than on a 5Mb with low interleaving, certainly more stable.

The fascination with ping continues to amaze me. ....You learn to play based on your ping anyways - as long as the ping is stable ...
    thats fair enough mate - but that asssumes i'm a gamer - which i'm not..;)

Just got a mail from them saying that they have changed the profile again. I guess its just not possible to get it <50ms....:confused:

thats fair enough mate - but that asssumes i'm a gamer - which i'm not..;)

Just got a mail from them saying that they have changed the profile again. I guess its just not possible to get it <50ms....:confused:

Whats teh reason for the low ping requirement then? Im just curious - nothing more.

Whats teh reason for the low ping requirement then? Im just curious - nothing more.
    Just an app I use that needs real time data transfer.

Just an app I use that needs real time data transfer.

Any decent application should be able to handle small latency changes / slightly higher latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

858976168.png

preytec wrote: »
    858976168.png
    If only that was a posability!

Advertisement