Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French through Irish

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering doing my French honours LC through irish for the bonus points...

does anyone know how this works because basically my teacher is telling me don't do it.. don't do it... you'll not be able to...

but I'm pretty sure I'll manage... I'm pretty weak at French tbh but I want to stick it out and try my best just to sneak a pass in.. I don't need it for my college course anyways so if I get a pass in honours it'll look pretty good

can anyone just please explain to me how it works

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

you get both the english and irish version of the paper anyway. dont listen to your teacher. god sake she should be encouraging you

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Are you fluent in Irish? I don't mean good at the subject, but usually people that sit the Irish papers are from a Gaeltacht area and can speak it very well, usually as a first language.

The paper you get is the same for both (i.e. in Irish and in English) but you will have to answer in Irish (obviously not the bits that you have to answer in French). This means that you will have to do the tapework in Irish as well, and it could be difficult to keep up with the pace of tape if you are trying to convert from French-Irish (possibly even French-English-Irish if you are not fluent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering doing my French honours LC through irish for the bonus points...

does anyone know how this works because basically my teacher is telling me don't do it.. don't do it... you'll not be able to...

but I'm pretty sure I'll manage... I'm pretty weak at French tbh but I want to stick it out and try my best just to sneak a pass in.. I don't need it for my college course anyways so if I get a pass in honours it'll look pretty good

I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure you have to do all your exams through Irish to get bonus points, you can't just pick and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure you have to do all your exams through Irish to get bonus points, you can't just pick and choose.

yes you have to do all or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

irish_man wrote: »
    yes you have to do all or nothing

You don't. Did you not have to sign a department form in school back in march confirming the subjects you are sitting for lc with the level you think your taking and whether you were doing the subject through irish or english.

You would want to be pretty good at french listening and translation into irish on your paper. And be able to write in irish for the opinion questions on the comprehensions.

Its only worth 5% at the end of the day, (if you get under 75% in your exam overall) which you would probably gain if you practised some aural work over the next 4 weeks. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't do it unless you are fluent. Translating from French - English is hard enough in the aural but translating from French to English to Irish is going to ruin your aural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well i'm pretty fluent in irish anyways so... thats not a problem... just dunno whether i have to do ALL or NOTHING basically..

i can't find anywhere where it states the rule properly...

french to english to irish isn't an issue it's french to irish in my case so...

i'm gonna be in around the 40% mark so if i could get the bonus for just doing french in irish on it's own and do all the other subjects through english it'd be such a relief as the bonus could get me over the pass mark so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

You get 5% extra if you get under 75% overall.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

Re my above post, did you not sign the form for the depatment at school stating what subjects you were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Say I get 85% in overall exam and do it through Irish, does that mean I would get an extra 5% bringing me up to 90%, an A1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Say I get 85% in overall exam and do it through Irish, does that mean I would get an extra 5% bringing me up to 90%, an A1?

No, you only get a bonus if you get under 75%, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If you are completely fluent in Irish, then go for it. But if you have any weaknesses at all I would really advise against it. A friend of mine did it last year and he is certain it cost him a B.

"bonus marks will be awarded at the rate of 5%"

does this mean if i get 39% overall i'll get 39+5 = 44% or....

39+1.95= 40.95%

1.95 being 5% of 39...

because if it's only 2% or less I'm talking about I'll definitely do it in English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What's "pretty " fluent in Irish? You either are or aren't.
    Wouldn't do it to be honest. Not without the practice. It could end up backfiring badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

"bonus marks will be awarded at the rate of 5%"

does this mean if i get 39% overall i'll get 39+5 = 44% or....

39+1.95= 40.95%

1.95 being 5% of 39...

because if it's only 2% or less I'm talking about I'll definitely do it in English
    You are correct. You would only get an extra 1.95% in that scenario.

It's not an all or nothing scenario, you can opt to do certain subjects through Irish and others through English. But I think you have to indicate early on, as they have to arrange papers etc. (or at least, it's much less hassle if you do)

However, if you state you're gonna do it in Irish and then go and do it in English, you don't lose out on anything but the bonus. Like, you can decide on the day what language to answer in.

It's not really a viable strategy for easy extra marks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dan_d wrote: »
    What's "pretty " fluent in Irish? You either are or aren't.
    Wouldn't do it to be honest. Not without the practice. It could end up backfiring badly.

Agreed. I'm a capable Irish speaker, but I wouldn't consider myself fluent. Fluent implies that you are able to understand the language without problems, and wouldn't trip up on words.

if i'm only getting 2% bonus i think i'll have to pass on it... when I say i'm "pretty fluent" i mean i could easily get by on a day to day basis but if I had to read the constitution of the country i'd be edgy on some of the direct translations...

not worth the effort though if it's only gonna be such a small amount tbh....

thanks for the help guys... just wish my teacher could have explained it properly to me but sur what can ya do

Advertisement