Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Dog Cage for a Boxer Today or Tomorrow

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

One of our dogs, a small but fully grown boxer has just been released from the Vets Hospital after surgery, but she needs to be kept in a cage for the next couple of weeks.

Any ideas where we'd get a cage in Dublin big enough for her?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Hi most pet shops sell them to be honest you just need to shop around to get a good quality one at a good price bit enough for your boxer. I know mollys pet boutique in dun laoghaire do ones big enough for great danes ect so maybe try there. I'm pretty sure petstop do them, argos as well but don't know how good a quality the argus ones would be? But most pet shops should have them juts shop around for a good one!;)

Only problem you have now is most petshops are closed on sundays and tomorrow is a bank holiday. Good luck with the search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd check www.zooplus.ie (.co.uk if you find it cheaper there). They have large dog crates and they're much cheaper than in shops. Just make sure it's big enough so she can stretch and turn around and stand/sit up comfortably :)

Btw, was she spayed? If so then you can let her walk around a bit, but don't let her run. She can walk around in the house and all, but no jumping onto things or running. And if you take her out to go to the toilet, then maybe keep her on a lead in case she runs around

I would have suggested there as well but doesn't shipping take like a week? and I think they need it a bit quicker than that as the boxer has already come out of the vet surgery.

If you do go with zooplus make sure it's the ".co.uk" one as they are cheaper than zooplus.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yeah she's only out this morning. They only informed us last night that we'd need a cage. A week is a bit long to be waiting! I rang Kinsealy Pet Store and he wasn't too sure that what they had would be big enough for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Oh yeah, duh, I wasn't thinking . . .

Do you have any room like a small bathroom or utility room that you could shut her in. It might not be neccessary to be a cage, just a small space? Or if you could partition part of the room off, but you'd have to be careful she didn't try to jump the partition . . . I'd think that if she had surgery like being spayed then it would be fine to shut her in a very small room, and then when you're watching to let her into the kitchen or something. Maybe you could ask the vet if that's ok, if you can't find a cage.

But if it's something like a broken bone, then maybe not . . .

• Advertisement

http://www.mollys.ie/fold-flat-dog-crate.html

http://www.baumanns.ie/product_info.php/cPath/298/products_id/3631?Baumid=7c0d7f2681484b1b979a3906c164fa64

Theres 2 pet shops I found with crates big enough I'm sure there's more though around but they don't have websites to show/tell you they do?

True if its just a simple spaying there wouldn't be much point in buying a crate to never use again. But if its some sort of leg damage then you definitely do need a cage my dog did ligiment damage when she was young and the crate really helped in speeding up and controlling the healing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yeah she had surgery to repair her back leg joint so she's supposed to be kept fairly contained to stop her leaping around the place. Her after-care sheet specifically says "No running, jumping, slipping/sliding" which is gonna be hard for her! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Hi Alicat
    I can lend you one for a couple of weeks. I am based in Shankill (off M50) so it would be handy enough and you can pick it up any time tomorrow
    Will PM you my number
    Eibhin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Eibhin wrote: »
    Hi Alicat
    I can lend you one for a couple of weeks. I am based in Shankill (off M50) so it would be handy enough and you can pick it up any time tomorrow
    Will PM you my number
    Eibhin

If that fall threw i can say the argos ones are strong enough and come in a range of sizes ;)

Advertisement