Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skater Chicks iin Ireland?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm a 17 year old Irish-American skateboarder and I'm planning on moving to Dublin to attend college, start my career in fimmaking industry, and pretty much live there for the rest of my life. Now, my friend Calum says that he's never seen or heard of a girl skateboarding in ireland his entire life! Are female skateboarders like me really that rare in Ireland? Don't you have any pro skater chicks over there??Will I be the only girl on the island with a skateboard?? or is Calum just out of it?

P.S. sorry about the extra I in "in"... I'm using the mobile version on my iPhone and it's hard to type on a touchscreen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭crazeehorse

aside from the odd poser ive only ever seen one girl on a skateboard that could actually ollie and skate around the ramps with no problem here in dublin.
    but thats mainly due to lack of talented interest and not a matter of it being unheard of that a girl can skateboard.
    as far as pros.....we've only got a handful of flow riders and that just within guys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JCskatepunk

That's really unfortunate. Well, I'm no poser, but I'm not even close to being as good as Gav Coughlan, Keith Walsh, or any of those guys off the Irish skate videos I've seen on YouTube! You guys have some serious skateboarding talent over there! :)
    By the way, what's that Snowy dude's last name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I know a girl who long boards she pretty good tho she moved to london to study what ever that means :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

No pros here, male or female, and I have to say I have never seen a girl skating. ever.

Okay, so far you guys have only mentioned one legit skater chick...
    Well, I guess if you happen to see an auburn-haired American girl skating in Dubin any time after next year, chances are that's gonna be me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭crazeehorse

by auburn do you mean ginger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I've seen one girl skating in Bushy Park and she was good! I believe there are some(1 or 2) girl skaters on this site!

by auburn do you mean ginger?

No, a little darker than ginger, but not that orange-red that some people have...it's more like a dark strawberry blonde with a little extra "strawberry" in it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm a girl and I skate! Started while I lived in Dublin around Stephen's green with the odd trip to Greystones and Gorey skateparks. Living in Sligo now. I have always done it for pure enjoyment as I don't have any skater friends, so nobody can accuse me of being a poser!

It's great to hear of another female skater, I have never come across one in my entire time. I would love to find a group of people to go out with because until now I have always gone out myself which means it's hard to learn new tricks as well as a bit lonely :o

Truley wrote: »
    I'm a girl and I skate! Started while I lived in Dublin around Stephen's green with the odd trip to Greystones and Gorey skateparks. Living in Sligo now. I have always done it for pure enjoyment as I don't have any skater friends, so nobody can accuse me of being a poser!

It's great to hear of another female skater, I have never come across one in my entire time. I would love to find a group of people to go out with because until now I have always gone out myself which means it's hard to learn new tricks as well as a bit lonely :o

Awesome, I'll be in the Dun Laoghaire area, that's a little ways from Sligo (haha). I probably won't be in Éire till 2012, I'll have my skater friend Rachel with me for the first summer before college, we should hang out and go skating together sometime! :)

• Advertisement

Awesome, I'll be in the Dun Laoghaire area, that's a little ways from Sligo (haha). I probably won't be in Éire till 2012, I'll have my skater friend Rachel with me for the first summer before college, we should hang out and go skating together sometime! :)

For sure! And if you make it to Eire before that do let me know, you will always have a sofa to sleep on in Sligo! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 murphgayle

hey my girlfriend is into skating she's from dublin we live in wexford but will be spending a lot of time up there over the summer. she's great at going on it and enjoys it loads but she wants to learn more skills like tricks and stuff. i've no idea what the hell i'm talking about but i want to learn too so could you show us some moves sometime? i'll pm you my msn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Of course there are girl skaters...not many,but there are! Alot of the times the girls feel intimidated by the guys in the parks so go skating on their own. Go into your local skate shop and ask if they know of any! Used to work in one and know 100% THERE ARE GIRL SKATERS :o Have fun in Ireland. PS Skating is still somewhat an underground sport here,parks have only been built here in the past 5 years. There are plenty of girls surfers etc

Where I live they have girls' surfing and kayaking weekends. Maybe we could organise something for girl skaters? Not that I'm trying to push some kind of feminist agenda or anything :p But I imagine alot of girls feel intimidated going to skateparks without feeling like they're trying to flirt with guys and show off. I know I do! Also I think by nature girl's don't learn at quite the same pace as lads, not as keen on taking big risks. As well as that it would be a great chance to meet new people and promote skating as a girls' sport. Would anyone be up for doing something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

There's one in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No pros here, male or female, and I have to say I have never seen a girl skating. ever.

You sir, are wrong.

We've got a few pro skaters over here.

Here's one, Keith Walsh. I use to skate with him all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Keith Walsh isnt pro? He doesnt get a salary from anyone, maybe some of his sponsors pay for some travels and stuff maybe. Last i heard he was sponsored by Deathwish and DC, dont think he's pro for either of them like..:rolleyes:

Dont get me wrong, he's a seriously awesome skater, but he's not pro. The closest person in Ireland to being pro is Conhuir Lynn, who is on the sctual Slave team in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

hey dudes. that chap keith walsh is a good skater, andfair play to him.

Sponcer ship is anoying at best. Brands will have at any one time a couple of 100 skaters spocered have off these guys dont even skate (other sports).

The reason they sort these guys out with a little bit of green and free gear, well its simple, they may or may not reach the pro levels but they get the name out there oh he's sponcered bye dc's :eek: its basic coprate farse of generating more sales bye having a couple of good skaters from each country, sponcered. So they generate a fuss and get their name out there a little bit more.

But having said that the guy is talatented and fearless fair play to him... big up.

Oh as for girls, skateing this area of the sport really does need to be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

I skate an I'm a girl!

I most defiantly am not a poser!!

I usually have to skate on my own so if there is any other girls out there wanting to skate gis a shout and I'll be more then happy to skate with ya's!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

By definition, a professional, or pro is someone who earns all his money from that profession regardless of how good they are.
    So unless this Keith Walsh guy has a second job flipping burgers, he's pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

LD 50 wrote: »
    By definition, a professional, or pro is someone who earns all his money from that profession regardless of how good they are.
    So unless this Keith Walsh guy has a second job flipping burgers, he's pro.
    by the definition you just gave, you're wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

He just skates and gets flown around the world for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Where exactly do you skate in Sligo? Strandhill park is being done up again, but I think the tarmac is still pretty shabby.

Where exactly do you skate in Sligo? Strandhill park is being done up again, but I think the tarmac is still pretty shabby.

Usually I go up to Summerhill college or down by Markevich house, you know that little seating area across the road from it? I've never been to Strandhill but I heard they were doing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Usually I go up to Summerhill college or down by Markevich house, you know that little seating area across the road from it? I've never been to Strandhill but I heard they were doing it up.

That place with the weird artsy statues? That may be worth a go. Where in Summerhill, though? Just the parking lot with the sidewalk?

That place with the weird artsy statues? That may be worth a go. Where in Summerhill, though? Just the parking lot with the sidewalk?

Yeah, only because it was near my house at the time. Or sometimes just in the grounds itself. When the place with the artsy statues was first built the ground was really nice and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

If ye lads are from Sligo, ye should come down here to Castlebar someday for a sesh, pretty good town for skatin and the scene is only getting biggger:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mariaa1

hey, i live in belfast, ireland.. up north of dublin :) id love to start skateboarding again, it's been 4 years since i've been on a board! ive been tryin to find as many girl skaters as i can these past few months in hope to get back on my board... id love to skate with you when you get over here. if you wanna chat heres my msn: muhreeah@hotmail.co.uk

hope to hear from ya soon!

Where I live they have girls' surfing and kayaking weekends. Maybe we could organise something for girl skaters? Not that I'm trying to push some kind of feminist agenda or anything :p But I imagine alot of girls feel intimidated going to skateparks without feeling like they're trying to flirt with guys and show off. I know I do! Also I think by nature girl's don't learn at quite the same pace as lads, not as keen on taking big risks. As well as that it would be a great chance to meet new people and promote skating as a girls' sport. Would anyone be up for doing something like this?

thats a brilliant idea. i would definately be up for helping out with that!

• Advertisement

murphgayle wrote: »
    hey my girlfriend is into skating she's from dublin we live in wexford but will be spending a lot of time up there over the summer. she's great at going on it and enjoys it loads but she wants to learn more skills like tricks and stuff. i've no idea what the hell i'm talking about but i want to learn too so could you show us some moves sometime? i'll pm you my msn

heyyy whats your girlfriends email? i'd love to chat with her :)

Advertisement