Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ferdinand OUT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

What is it with Chelsea Players?

Ballack (Germans Star Player) => out
    Essien (Ghanas best Player) => out
    Drogba (Ivory Coasts best player) => out

Who next? Lampard?

Lampard we can cope with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats handy for the Ivory Coasts rivals (Portugal)

As long as you know who does not pull up with an injury too!

So many good players missing out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Oh jaysus Heskey has put Rio out of the World Cup. Bet you Fabio will get some stick over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

gimmick wrote: »
    Does anyone have a world cup excel sheet planner dealy?

http://www.excely.com/football/2010-fifa-world-cup-schedule.shtml

Couldn't attach the file because it exceeds the size allowed but here is the link so you can download it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I would of loved to see what state Drogba was in when is got injured, whenever he got the slightest of touches in the Prem is went down like he was shot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

How does Michael Dawson get to replace Ferdinand in England squad? I thought once the squad of 23 was named then they cant call up anyone else (except for extraordinary circumstances).

How does Michael Dawson get to replace Ferdinand in England squad? I thought once the squad of 23 was named then they cant call up anyone else (except for extraordinary circumstances).

Ya your prob right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They can change it, up until the day before it kicks-off iirc, or close to it.

England are fully entitled to change him, but if it happened after the deadline they can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You have to name your 23 but if a player is injured he can be replaced at any time up until the tournament starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

FERDINAND OUT!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8722236.stm
    England captain Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out of the World Cup after suffering a knee injury in training.

The 31-year-old centre-back had a scan after hurting his left knee following a challenge with Emile Heskey during Friday's first training session.

He emerged from hospital on crutches and Tottenham's Michael Dawson, who had been put on standby, is expected to fly to South Africa in the next 12 hours.

Vice-captain Steven Gerrard will step up to lead the side at the World Cup.

More to follow.

Correction: The deadline for players to change is 24hours before the country's first match, so in England's case - 11th of June.

http://is.gd/cCqVu

Anyway, Ivory Coast's system won't have to change at all even though Drogba's gone, only that his place (centre forward, with two wide men either side) will be filled by a far inferior player.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The lads above had it correct. There's an exception in the rule in the case of 'serious injury.' Should Ferdinand be ruled out for the duration of the World Cup, England have up until 24hrs before kickoff of their first match to call up an emergency replacement. The incoming player apparently does not even have to have been part of the original provisional squad of 30 registered with FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

This is getting depressing. So many players who are key to their country's fortunes at the World Cup are out before a ball is even kicked.

Drogba, Essien, Ballack, Ferdinand, Adler all injured.

Then when you count absentees through selection (Ronaldinho, Pato, Cassano, Miccoli, Cambiasso etc) it's becoming quite frustrating.

Its a bit weird that the only interview of the axed players on SSN is Dawson. And now suddenly Ferdinand is out.

RichTea wrote: »
    This is getting depressing. So many players who are key to their country's fortunes at the World Cup are out before a ball is even kicked.

Drogba, Essien, Ballack, Ferdinand, Adler all injured.

Then when you count absentees through selection (Ronaldinho, Pato, Cassano, Miccoli, Cambiasso etc) it's becoming quite frustrating.

It's all part of it though, the opportunity for the replacements to step up can add some real excitement to the tournament.

It's all part of it though, the opportunity for the replacements to step up can add some real excitement to the tournament.

True. But one too many absentees can be damaging to the overall quality of the tournament.

Update on Drogba - L'Equipe He's now not ruling himself out. He says he will have surgery and hopes to be back in 10 days.

Allez les Elephants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    http://is.gd/cCqVu

Anyway, Ivory Coast's system won't have to change at all even though Drogba's gone, only that his place (centre forward, with two wide men either side) will be filled by a far inferior player.....
    Will he miss Wimbledon as well? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

peabutler wrote: »
    Oh jaysus Heskey has put Rio out of the World Cup. Bet you Fabio will get some stick over that.

:confused:

how come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Evra to take French armband

Defender Patrice Evra will captain France at the World Cup as Thierry Henry has accepted his place on the bench for the duration of the tournament.

Evra wore the France armband for the first time against Costa Rica in the 2-1 friendly win, while Henry has found himself on the sidelines in recent matches, despite leading his side through qualifying - including the controversial play-off win over Republic of Ireland.

Nicolas Anelka has been preferred in Henry's position, and the Barcelona striker accepted coach Raymond Domenech's decision to keep him out of the side earlier in the week, saying: "Yes, the coach came to see me in Barcelona. He said to me I wasn't going to start the games in South Africa and I accepted."

In Henry's absence, Evra has been handed the armband and the defender announced: "I'm really proud to be the captain. With talent you win games, but you can only win a tournament with a great team".

A poll on the L'Equipe website revealed that 70% of the French public believe Evra to be the right choice to lead the country in South Africa, while he also appears to have the backing of his team-mates. Jeremy Toulalan told the paper: "He's in the right mood and has the will to gather everyone."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/792614/ce/uk/?cc=5739&ver=global

I guess that means a starting frontline of Ribery - Anelka - Govou ?

Vokes wrote: »
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/792614/ce/uk/?cc=5739&ver=global

I guess that means a starting frontline of Ribery - Anelka - Govou ?

Govou? How the **** does he still get in the side? He's an average player who has been absolutely awful this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    I would of loved to see what state Drogba was in when is got injured, whenever he got the slightest of touches in the Prem is went down like he was shot. :D

Happens early enough in the clip below. They said it wasn't the challenge itself that injured him, more how he fell on his arm. Looks painful enough

Is it just me or are France leaving it late to go to South Africa they are still in France and have their first match in 7 days.

The Japanese player was still clumsy as hell there though!

Hope they can still edge past Portugal (most likely team), but it will certainly be more of an uphill task!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Is it just me or are France leaving it late to go to South Africa they are still in France and have their first match in 7 days.

They are already on Reunion (french Island in the Indian Ocean and reasonably close to SA). They lost today their last test match on reunion against China with 1:0.

Anyone watching the USA v Australia warm-up match?

Quite enjoyable so far. Edson Buddle has been very good for the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im watching the Dutch game

Holland are such a class team, ill be supporting them during the wc

what a goal by Elia

• Advertisement

What a player, fantastic solo goal. More next season please :).

edit: Hungary have fallen apart. Another nice goal from Robben.

unreal by Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm just looking at the USA vs. Australia game. I'm reminded that this could be a world cup to watch with the sound off because these vuvuzelas are just plain annoying. There's no getting around it and while I appreciate they are a part of traditional South African culture, they're an enormously unpalatable one aurally speaking.

**** it Robben is injured

please let him be ok

Robben down :(.

dammit it doesnt look good

If Robben is out does anyone know who is next in line to start for Holland?. Elia?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In that case i would think the line up at the start against Hungary will be the team for the WC.
    I like Robben but i have a better feeling about the combination Kuyt/Van der Wiel after seeing the first half.
    Hungary never came out of the dressing room for the 2nd half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunno if anyone posted this but it's looking like Pirlo is out of the World Cup. Left calf strain, expected to be injured for about 15-20 days.

• Advertisement

Falling like flies, crazy.

Also crazy is ITVs "world cup fun show" after the games of the day James Corden's World Cup Live Skinner and Baddiel must be spinning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Anybody else think that countries have been doing too many 'friendlies' over the past few weeks? No wonder all these injuries are occurring.

Robben is known to be injury prone regarding his hamstring and has just gone through a touch season with Munich....Surely he should have been wrapped in cotton wool until the WC starts.

Maradona got it spot on resting Messi in their friendly last week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Another Chelsea player out - Mikel will miss the world cup.
    That's Ballack, Essien, Boswinga, (presumably) Drogba and Mikel so far. Then again A. Cole and Terry made it (the brave, brave lions).

That's Ballack, Essien, Boswinga, (presumably) Drogba and Mikel so far. Then again A. Cole and Terry made it (the brave, brave lions).

Someone trying to bring Chelsea down on the sly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Anyone watching the USA v Australia warm-up match?

Quite enjoyable so far. Edson Buddle has been very good for the States.

Buddle is one to watch during this WC. Something like 9 goals in 5 games for galaxy...

Pretty gutted about Drogba. Was really looking forward to seeing him in this tournament. I wonder how Ivory coast will cope without their star player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

falan wrote: »

I wonder how Ivory coast will cope without their star player?

Not very well I guess

• Advertisement

Not very well I guess

Well it's hard to tell, they still boast Kolo and Yaya Toure, Kalou, Eboue, Boka, Zokora, Dindane and the relatively unknown yet fancied Doumbia + I'd fancy Drogs to play at some stage in the group stage so if they can hold tight for the first game and maybe have Drogba back after than who knows.

Well it's hard to tell, they still boast Kolo and Yaya Toure, Kalou, Eboue, Boka, Zokora, Dindane and the relatively unknown yet fancied Doumbia + I'd fancy Drogs to play at some stage in the group stage so if they can hold tight for the first game and maybe have Drogba back after than who knows.

Hard to tell is right. I was expecting Brazil to win that group and hoping Ivory coast would just pip Portugal for the runner up spot. Drogba is a BIG loss....If he doesn't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Wilson Palacios could be out for Honduras now after hurting his shine in a friendly

falan wrote: »
    Buddle is one to watch during this WC. Something like 9 goals in 5 games for galaxy...

Pretty gutted about Drogba. Was really looking forward to seeing him in this tournament. I wonder how Ivory coast will cope without their star player?

Buddle looks very good, wasn't considered as a likely squad member a couple of months ago either.

Drogba is hopeful of being ready for the World Cup now, the surgery was apparently successful. Fingers crossed for him.

Buddle looks very good, wasn't considered as a likely squad member a couple of months ago either.

Drogba is hopeful of being ready for the World Cup now, the surgery was apparently successful. Fingers crossed for him.

Yeah the U.S.A manager has a headache ahead of him. Who does he pick? Does he pick the regular first choice Altidore or the guy Buddle who seems to be on fire banging in another 2 goals against OZ..

Roll on Friday so the first game can kick off:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement