Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much?

• 02-05-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Ok I know every child is different but just on a general level here. Aidan is nearly 15 months, and his feeding regime is;

breakfast - Ready brek/porridge with a spoon of honey or jam,
    after nap - a youghart,
    lunch - home cook food usually potatoes mixed with soup/milk/baby gravy and sometimes veg too.
    snack - pot of fruit puree
    dinner - muller rice (doesnt seem to want anything else)/ bottle of formula milk
    bedtime - bottle of formula milk.

throughout the day I give him rice cakes and other baby snacks and he alway has juice and sometimes cows milk (not too fond of it)

I am worried about him not eating a proper meal at dinner time. surely he needs more substantial food than that???

I just am trying to see if this is a norm, all the websites say something different

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I've only just atarted giving Megan solids and I haven't a clue! I just keep scooping it in until she spits it out!

Whats the norm when you first start spoon feeding babies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Is he eating much meat and fish? How is he with finger foods? At either lunch or dinner time (my little fella has his "dinner" at lunchtime) would he eat a small portion of your dinner like small pieces of chicken, potato and vegetables. Also my little boy loves pasta with bolognese sauce, I would let him eat the pasta (fusilli is easy for them to eat) with his hands and then spoon some of the bolognese sauce into him.

I find the 100% cod fillet fish fingers great. Again, they can eat them with their hands while you spoon in the potatoes.

At this stage now I would start thinking along the lines that he can have a small bit of whatever you are having.

My little boy is 22 months and has his dinner at lunchtime in creche. I think their dinners on the days he is in are:

- Chicken, rice and veg
    - fish finger, mashed potatoes and peas,
    - pasta and bolognese sauce
    - german sausages, home made chips, and beans (Friday)

On the day he is home with me he will usually have whatever we're having, and on the weekend it's usually some of the Sunday roast. He loves baton carrots and potatoes with gravy.

For teatime he invariably has a yoghurt, a banana or mandarin and a sandwich - either peanut butter, ham and cheese or tuna and sweetcorn. Sometimes I give him the Hipp Toddler Spaghetti with tomatoes and mozzarella which I feel is like a more friendly spaghetti hoops as it has lots of veg in it.

You could also get more protein into him by giving him eggs - scrambled, or omelette or french toast generally goes down very well in my house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I've only just atarted giving Megan solids and I haven't a clue! I just keep scooping it in until she spits it out!

Whats the norm when you first start spoon feeding babies?

I was the same with Aidan then, they say that they should eat approximately 1 dessert spoon at first, but Aidan would eat 2 or 3 and still be opening his little mouth.
    Is he eating much meat and fish? How is he with finger foods? At either lunch or dinner time (my little fella has his "dinner" at lunchtime) would he eat a small portion of your dinner like small pieces of chicken, potato and vegetables. Also my little boy loves pasta with bolognese sauce, I would let him eat the pasta (fusilli is easy for them to eat) with his hands and then spoon some of the bolognese sauce into him.

I find the 100% cod fillet fish fingers great. Again, they can eat them with their hands while you spoon in the potatoes.

At this stage now I would start thinking along the lines that he can have a small bit of whatever you are having.

My little boy is 22 months and has his dinner at lunchtime in creche. I think their dinners on the days he is in are:

- Chicken, rice and veg
    - fish finger, mashed potatoes and peas,
    - pasta and bolognese sauce
    - german sausages, home made chips, and beans (Friday)

On the day he is home with me he will usually have whatever we're having, and on the weekend it's usually some of the Sunday roast. He loves baton carrots and potatoes with gravy.

For teatime he invariably has a yoghurt, a banana or mandarin and a sandwich - either peanut butter, ham and cheese or tuna and sweetcorn. Sometimes I give him the Hipp Toddler Spaghetti with tomatoes and mozzarella which I feel is like a more friendly spaghetti hoops as it has lots of veg in it.

You could also get more protein into him by giving him eggs - scrambled, or omelette or french toast generally goes down very well in my house!

Yes I should have said, he eats his dinner at lunch, he wont eat red meat for me but I use fish fingers and a bit of chicken. He really loves the chicken casserole I eat at my fathers, ate the same amount as the adults that day!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

My little boy isn't crazy about red meat on its own, like he wouldn't be into eating a piece of roast beef or a bit of burger but he does like mince mixed in with things. That would really be the extent of his red meat to be honest. If he won't eat it at all then I would just try to get a bit of the dark chicken meat into him as it has more iron than the breast. But I see that he's still on formula so would be getting plenty of iron in that.

It sounds like his diet is perfec then. When it comes to the teatime I try to compare it to our "lunch" - When I was a kid we always had either a cheese or banana sandwich for lunch, a piece of fruit and a yoghurt (that's what I would have at home myself too), and I think that's perfect. If he wants mullerrice I don't see a problem. Give the peanut-butter sandwiches a go, I sometimes give peanut-butter and banana and he loves them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I think the diet sounds good. I find it better to look at their diet over the course of a week rather than a day as they will always have bad days and good days. I used to worry about the amount of junk my older two (6 & 8) were eating at the weekends when they went to grandparents and friends but the don't get it during the week so I don't worry too much anymore.

Is he getting snacks that he can chew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi wolfpawnat,

It sounds similar to what Alannah would eat. She is 15 months now too, she is weighing in at 24lbs.

In the morning she has a bottle of fresh milk.
    For breakfast she has porridge or weetabix (1.5) with milk.
    As she is in the creche she has a snack around 11 - usually toast, scone or fruit.
    Then she has dinner at 12:30 which is something like spag bol, shepherds pie, or chicken pie.
    She will have one bottle of formula milk during the day in the creche as well as a juice cup with water.
    In the afternoon they have a further snack which could be soup or fruit puree.
    When she gets home in the evening she has a small dinner - normally a small portion of what we are having. She isn't too fond of meat or fish so I have to cut that up small.
    Then afterwards she will have a petit filous or chopped up fruit.
    Before she goes to bed she has a bottle which is normally fresh milk.
    then she is in a bad habit of taking a bottle during the night which i normally make up of very diluted formula milk, trying to wean her off this!

At the weekends she would also have snacks like raisons, rice cakes or melon during the day

Eimear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

He wont eat rice cakes much anymore, he makes a face of grimace when he gets them, but he eats organix corn snacks and the like, he really is not a fan of harder foods (mainly because he doesnt want to have to do something as bothersome as chewing!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Ok I know every child is different but just on a general level here. Aidan is nearly 15 months, and his feeding regime is;

breakfast - Ready brek/porridge with a spoon of honey or jam,
    after nap - a youghart,
    lunch - home cook food usually potatoes mixed with soup/milk/baby gravy and sometimes veg too.
    snack - pot of fruit puree
    dinner - muller rice (doesnt seem to want anything else)/ bottle of formula milk
    bedtime - bottle of formula milk.

throughout the day I give him rice cakes and other baby snacks and he alway has juice and sometimes cows milk (not too fond of it)

I am worried about him not eating a proper meal at dinner time. surely he needs more substantial food than that???

I just am trying to see if this is a norm, all the websites say something different

Hi W,

Hope you dont mind me butting in but going to post a sample menu for a pre-scholled child aged between 1.5 to 3 years but is suitable from 1 year. Please bear in mind that some children eat more or less than others.

BREAKFAST. Diluted pure unsweeted fruit juice. Cereal with milk (ie weetabix/oatibix/ready brek/porridge etc) toast/ brown bread with monounsaturated/polunsaturated spread, jam/marmalade.

MID MORNING SNACK. Milk and hummus and crackers or salad plate with dips or homemade fruit smoothie

LUNCH. Mild chicken curry with apple and raisin served with boiled rice or beef and root veg casserole, served with broccoli, carrots aand mas potato. Water
    Dessert. Fruit salad orapple and plum crumble

MID AFTERNOON SNACK. Milk andMini fruit scone or banana chunks

TEA. Spanish omelette or cheese on toast
    Fresh or tinned pear (IN NATURAL JUICE) or grapes.

Please remember this is just a guide of nutrional requirements for a pre-school child. I have just taken this from The food and nutrition guidlines for pre-schools which was issued dept health and children in 2004. My pre-school work to these guidelines and I have posted todays ond tomorrows menu.

Advertisement