Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Next Gen Broadband Vs NTL Fibre Wire Broadband

• 02-05-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Just wondering and I would like to hear everyones Thoughts Words there peace of mind..

Please leave you views and who is offering a better service and which is better.

Eircom Vs Ntl

Your Thoughts.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

cable842 wrote: »
    Just wondering and I would like to hear everyones Thoughts Words there peace of mind..

Please leave you views and who is offering a better service and which is better.

Eircom Vs Ntl

Your Thoughts.......

Its not even comparable, UPC/NTL crush Eircoms technology.

Eircoms next gen broadband is only a sly marketing scheme to try and brand there old broadband as a new product.

The max you`ll get off Eircom on a standard exchange is 8 meg connection, and most customers are likely never to even get near that speed. UPC are currently offering 30 meg connections with far superior upload speeds, and there technology is going to get faster and faster, where as eircoms wont.

Only a fool would subscribe to Eircom in this day and age if NTL is available, another major factor is that its much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Considering neither are offering what their marketing implies (ie Eircom not next gen, and ntl not fibre) I'll compare as such.

Upc/ntl/chorus
    - 30Mb/s, 250GB cap for €50/month.
    - Only available in cities/towns. Though where available, all packages are available.
    - Customer support - read the mega thread.

Eircom
    - 8Mb/s, 250GB cap for €40/month.
    - Requires phone line, and close distance to Eircom exchange, if far away from exchange / have shoddy wiring etc. you won't get anything near 8Mb/s.
    - Customer service - Plenty of complaints about Eircom too.

Basically, if UPC work then they are miles better than Eircom. They're cheaper, and offer much better broadband and phone packages.

However if they don't work, which often seems to be the case since they brought in the new 30Mb/15Mb packages, then you could be in for a world of pain - especially trying to deal with their customer service dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If Eircom ever come into the equation, you just remove them and are left with the answer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

801555588.png

16027510.png

UPC just changed my IP address and I like what I see.

Things can go a bit crazy when they upgrade speeds.

I will not be jumping at the new higher speeds when they start I will wait till all the bugs are ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Ranicand wrote: »
    801555588.png

16027510.png

801560421.png

16027779.png

UPC wins. The only positive thing I can say about eircom is that, for me, the speeds are consistent and I have never has an issue of random disconnections. I'll be moveing to UPC though for Phone and Broadband just as soon as the issues with speeds dropping are sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

mgsrocks wrote: »
    801560421.png

16027779.png

UPC wins. The only positive thing I can say about eircom is that, for me, the speeds are consistent and I have never has an issue of random disconnections. I'll be moveing to UPC though for Phone and Broadband just as soon as the issues with speeds dropping are sorted out.

It could be worse I remember having to suffer Ripwave from Irish Slowband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom don't have a Next Generation Broadband product.

They only have ADSL and ADSL2+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,165 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Eircom are now reaping the rewards from cheapo wire installation in new housing estates, I suppose they can only really install as low quality as what they were legally allowed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Eircom
    - 8Mb/s, 250GB cap for €40/month.

Its actually €66.71 not €40

So it costs more than UPC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Calebmcd wrote: »

Nope, it's €39.82 for 8Mb broadband.
    It's €66.71 for 8Mb and Eircoms unlimited calls package.

Btw I'm not in anyway endorsing Eircoms crap.
    It may be €10 euros a month less but it's only upto a quarter of the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Calebmcd wrote: »

Yes im on the eircom ngb plan with 250GB download limit. The only reason i am with eircom though is because upc aren't in my area. I asked the upc engineer on the day he came and apparently some asshole in my neighborhood didn't want the upc wires going through his house and thats why the entire neighborhood cant get upc broadband. Annoying as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭alexindublin

Don't start me on eircom. We changed to them last december and everything has been perfect except for the following....

Overcharged on every bill, including being charged for the free re-connection and free broadband set up !!
    The 12 month package we signed up for in the middle of December ended in January !

Getting less than 1mb on a 7mb connection alot of the time (Line tested to 13mb).

Broadband support are fantastic (NOT !!). I'm almost certain they have a bunch of trained one armed chimps answering phones, and shuffling through their laminated pages looking to answers to hi-tec questions like "What contention ratio am i on?" The cocky reply i got from mr know-it-all support kid was "7mb if my phone line allows it" WTF !!

Dodgy modem that crashes between 2 and 9 times a week. I got fed up putting my settings back into and left it on the eircom default settings which eircom will swear cant be hacked - one of my neighbours managed to download half the internet from my super secure eircom wireless !!

UPC isn't available in my area at the moment So i'll be going to WiMax. If anyone wants an eircom modem, keep an eye on my road,when i get the WiMax i'll be the one laughing like a lunatic, kicking the eircom modem up the road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Don't start me on eircom. We changed to them last december and everything has been perfect except for the following....

Overcharged on every bill, including being charged for the free re-connection and free broadband set up !!
    The 12 month package we signed up for in the middle of December ended in January !

Getting less than 1mb on a 7mb connection alot of the time (Line tested to 13mb).

Broadband support are fantastic (NOT !!). I'm almost certain they have a bunch of trained one armed chimps answering phones, and shuffling through their laminated pages looking to answers to hi-tec questions like "What contention ratio am i on?" The cocky reply i got from mr know-it-all support kid was "7mb if my phone line allows it" WTF !!

Dodgy modem that crashes between 2 and 9 times a week. I got fed up putting my settings back into and left it on the eircom default settings which eircom will swear cant be hacked - one of my neighbours managed to download half the internet from my super secure eircom wireless !!

UPC isn't available in my area at the moment So i'll be going to WiMax. If anyone wants an eircom modem, keep an eye on my road,when i get the WiMax i'll be the one laughing like a lunatic, kicking the eircom modem up the road....

+1 especially on the eircom support staff. You can so tell there on minimum wage and they so know it!! As useful as ****.

I would stay away from wimax-its just mobile broadband ffs.

Mobile broadband or not, Its not eircom so i'm going to give it a go. As is i'd get better broadband if i stuck my finger up my a**e and hummed !!

As a matter of interest, who does offer the best broadband at a decent price ( €40-€50 a month) ?

This is what I'm getting from eircom, and it's 3.30am !

801910070.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Here my speed at 5:48pm today. It was pretty good today, musta been coz of the bank holiday ! (This on a 7mb connection)

802599029.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Eircom copper wire will never match cable networks. Different technology. Unless eircom actually roll out fibre optic cable to your house, they cnnot win!

Eircom are dinosaurs. They're using out-dated hardware, the support is so lacking in training it's unbelievable, and the lies they tell to get a sign-up is beyond belief. The guy that called to my house tried to flog the 24mb broadband to me even though my line will only carry 13.12mb. There are people out there that are falling for these stories. Not a good start to a relationship between supplier and customer, but having worked in sales many moons ago i know that sometimes you'll tell the odd "story" to close a deal so i never factor the sales guy into the equation when i sign for goods or services. But when the company turns out to as crappy as "Eircom" then i find an alternative and walk away, contract or no contract.

This day and age and the competition that's out there you'd think they'd get their act together. There's smaller companies out there that provide a much better service at the same or lesser cost. I mean, just look at my speed test results on previous posts "SPEEDS UPTO 7mb" dosn't justify under 1mb by any means.

With the new 100mb coming out from UPC, and WiMax popping up all over the country, will this be the slow demise of Eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Is eircon NGB actually contention free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

With the new 100mb coming out from UPC, and WiMax popping up all over the country, will this be the slow demise of Eircom?
    They said it will be out in April, when are UPC releasing 100MB broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They said it will be out in April, when are UPC releasing 100MB broadband?

End of the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

100mb? That'll be great. Is there anywhere I can get more details about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

808288351.png

Just thought I'd join the speed test party. Currently changing to UPC's €42 30MB plan. Very optimistic about it. Sick of the lies and the patchy service from eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Was ungraded to NGB today. Speed is hovering around 7mb but I'm far more interested in my results from pingtest

16532594.png

Thats damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Ok the situation I am in at the moment....was on Eircom 3mb...then I got a letter saying I have been upgraded to 8Mb with 30Gig a month allowance (€62 a month including phone)(€5 extra a month for no monthly download allowance*).
    I have UPC for basic digital TV (€21 a month) so was thinking of switching to 30Mb bb from UPC with Digital Max and phone ~ about €80 a month all together.

Now it seems to make perfect sense to switch to UPC but I am really concerned after reading so many stories about speeds being terrible in the evenings. Also what is the situation with the physical UPC connection is it run in off the same line as the TV cable or will they install a new point for you as the pc is upstairs while the tv point is downstairs?

Eircom has never given me any trouble since I got it about 2 years ago but this new 30gig a month usage allowance is really not sufficient. Now if I agree to the extra €5 a month with eircom that will probably put me back in to a contract for another year with them. :(

So to sum it up should I stick with reliable eircom with basic digital tv from UPC for €90 a month or switch to UPC with 30mb broadband/phone& digital max TV for €82 a month :pac:

Thanks for your response.
    *fair usage policy etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I could add another pathetic speed test result for my 7mb eircom package but hey we've seen enough!

Could i ask gerard to report back to us over the next few days and tell if he keeps sucha good connection and ping rate?

I too am due ngb upgrade in the coming months but am wary of getting excited.

Best ping i have had was 72, worst and after 6pm is around 800:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement