Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Next Gen Broadband Vs NTL Fibre Wire Broadband

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

810026299.png

16582228.png

Got upgraded to NGB today, router is syncing at 5120/512 (kbps). I checked the eircom usage meter and have already used 81% of the usage limit. I'm now going to have to upgrade my package to the unlimited one costing an extra €10 a month (total cost €66 per month for phone and broadband). Feel completely robbed, it just seems a way for eircom to charge its customers more without having to go through the regulators to increase prices.

I checked UPC and €58 will get me 15mb broadband and national/international calls. I rang eircom to see if they would try beat that price or at least put me back on the pre NGB bundle and was told the deal I have is the best they can do.

UPC here I come :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

We are around peak right now and this is what I'm getting.

16586938.png

Thats pretty much exactly what I would get any time of the day on my previous 3mb connection. Around the end of last year my Eircom line would go down the toilet every night between 6:30pm and 10pm. I kept ringing them about until they sent someone out to the exchange and I've had no problems ever since. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

And my ping is back down again

16598205.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

16602793.png

This is my ping

810337587.png

And my speedtest ,

I was on Eircom 3 MB package, so I presume that I've been NGB'ed ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

810363277.png16605188.png

Impressive results on the ping test from Eircom there but for pure bandwidth I will be sticking with UPC.

• Advertisement

Ranicand wrote: »
    810363277.png16605188.png

Impressive results on the ping test from Eircom there but for pure bandwidth I will be sticking with UPC.

New day and my ping is back to normal.

16637226.png810405263.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

A Question for you ranicand ..

I am thinking of moving to UPC for bandwith / cost reasons as well ..

Which pack are you on and what is the cost to you ?

I have the Max pack with a few HD boxes with UPC, but I'm not sure if existing users can get their special "all in one "offers that are advertised ..

I also have an Eircom Phonewatch alarm, Do you know if the UPC phoneline will support this ?

Cheers.

Bob

bob11 wrote: »
    A Question for you ranicand ..

I am thinking of moving to UPC for bandwith / cost reasons as well ..

Which pack are you on and what is the cost to you ?

I have the Max pack with a few HD boxes with UPC, but I'm not sure if existing users can get their special "all in one "offers that are advertised ..

I also have an Eircom Phonewatch alarm, Do you know if the UPC phoneline will support this ?

Cheers.

Bob

I am on the 30meg pack it costs 42 per month.

The Eircom alarm will only work with an Eircom line as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can get a GSM adaptor if you have no eircom line. The phonewatch otherwise only works on eircom. Another regulatory failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Can somebody please tell me if UPC fibre power bb is available in donegal? I'm getting nowhere on their site, its terrible!

Another good UPC result. Would choose them over Eircom any day. Haven't been upgraded yet so am still on 10Mb.

Pinging www.rte.ie.nsatc.net [89.207.56.140] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.207.56.140:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 11ms

813655333.png

16816026.png

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Can somebody please tell me if UPC fibre power bb is available in donegal? I'm getting nowhere on their site, its terrible!

Wouldn't have a clue myself, but if you enter your address on the bottom of their broadband page it might be able to tell you. Good luck :D

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/thirty/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drunkcaveman

I got that broadband dongle off them for 20e a month, 10g download limit. I downloaded one album, streamed some stuff, and was away for a week of the month and they charged me 60e sayin I was way over.

I rang up last wed and the guy was actually very helpful, said he thought there was something dodgy about it but needed to go through tech services and they'd ring back.

They didn't so i rang again this afternoon, a less helpful girl listened to me explain the situation very quickly, probably omitting some info, yet she interrupted me to offer 20e off the bill, to bring it down to 40e.

I was taken aback, but assured her that I'm overcharged and I wanted it sorted. She got slightly snappy, offered to tell tech services, I told her that's already happened, she said it hadn't so we agreed to go that route.

Hopefully eventually Mr Tech Services gets involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I got that broadband dongle off them for 20e a month, 10g download limit.

An eircom dongle?

Are you sure you are not talking about meteor or emobile?

bealtine wrote: »
    An eircom dongle?

I'm sure I've seen eircom dongles being offered to existing DSL customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 drunkcaveman

aye, eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

bealtine wrote: »
    An eircom dongle?

They used to offer a 3g solution. It has now been folded into e-mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

aye, eircom

Please keep the eircom mobile discussion to an appropriate thread and forum. It has nothing to do with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

I started to read through this thread doing some research on opinions on Eircom's next gen broadband. I'm with UPC myself. Between the both of them, I want to cry.

I used to be in a new estate that had Magnet's FTTH connections. Paid for an 8Mb connection but got a 20Mb one. Absolutely lethal connection, fully synchronous 20Mb up and down. Had ethernet ports all around the apartment which gave a global IP address (great for running servers, even if it was DHCP).

Magnet was and still is the absolute gold standard of home broadband provisioning in this country.

Everyone else is generations behind.

Anyway, keeping in line with the thread:

Eircom's connections have always been solid enough, having lived a mile or so from the exchange. Things rarely went wrong, and if they did, it was a known line fault that typically had engineers working on it straight away. If I was on an 8Mb connection, I'd be downloading above 700kb/sec. Don't remember it dropping below that. Very expensive, altogether.

UPC looks better on paper, but I've had a relatively poor experience with them. Service drops intermittently (at least once a day for a few minutes), and the wireless modem is such a god-damn P.O.S. that I had to buy a second wireless router.

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd play my part: Eircom's "Next Generation" crapband.
    Yesterday speeds of 0.3 Mb/s.
    Bit of a joke if you ask me, going to give them a ring tomorrow and see what the story is because I'm sick of this.

31204517.png

Actually can anyone tell me why speedtest keeps telling me that Dublin is my closest server? I'm in Donegal so I thought Derry or Sligo servers would give a more accurate result but seemingly not. I'm curious.

speedtest:

1091014975.png

Better than yesterday but still not good enough for an 8Mb contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AmberSolace

I tried to get broadband from Eircom in 2004 and they said my line wasn't capable of receiving broadband. I was on dial-up access with Eircom at the time and my bills were €300 per bill.

Ten days after that 'refusal' I was up and running on broadband with another ISP. I've been using the same ISP provider and phone provider since and monthly bills have always been under €60. Only a few issues with services in that time but I was never left in a situation where I was tearing my hair out in frustration. I've two PCs, two laptops and two smartphones on the home network and all are working fine.

2145049145.png

Moving on 8 years: Only last week an Eircom rep arrives at our door telling us our line is NOW capable of broadband. Ho-hum I sez to meself!

If it's a choice between ANY Eircom product and Fibre Wire Broadband my vote is against Eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zombie thread, locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement