Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music artsmanship:Looks

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

So most very good looking musicians make sh*t music ie. boy/girl bands, that cockrot Paolo Nutini, Matt Bellamy, that Paramore tart and the likes.

Whilst most of the greats are pretty ugly:

rdj.jpg

ed_imgTHOM-YORKE_337987a.jpg

Elliott_Smith_photo_051018022946332_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Tom-Waits-an07.jpg

So who do you think has the best looks to music ratio and is worthy of a musical crush?

For me it's Cat Power:

arar_catpower.jpg

catpower4.jpg

Her music is sexy and she's damn sexy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

cathy davey and her ilk, do they pass muster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was discussing Cat Power's beauty with someone only last night.

I don't think a younger Tom Waits was particularly ugly though..??

"Well my friends think I'm ugly, I got a masculine face" (Goin' Out West)

tomwaits1_93x383.jpgjm_tom.jpg

Cat Power FTW!!

cat-power.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The pic on the left is pretty dashing I guess, always thought he looked a bit monkeyish though. My taste in men isn't really up there though, I can't see the Edward Cullen thing at all, kid looks disabled to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Jonny Greenwood's a pretty cool looking guy, I think

Jonny+Greenwood+jonny+looks+awesome+in+this.jpg

I don't think good=ugly, but I think the musicians who really want to make great music put all their time and effort into the music and don't worry about how the look once they're reasonably presentable to get on a stage?

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Jonny Greenwood's a pretty cool looking guy, I think

JonnyGreenwood.jpg

I dunno man..

• Advertisement

Anyone else fancy young Bjork?

BJORK+-+Debut+-+Front.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Put a tash on him instant Freddie Mercury.

Kold wrote: »
    I dunno man..

Haha, maybe not the most traditionally handsome guy, but when he's on stage he looks well, not out of place or anything. Richard D. James looks like he should be standing in front of a wall of Marshall cabinets or something :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Joanna Newsom's pretty purdy

joanna_newsom_narrowweb__300x4500.jpg

probably more of a clear cut issue for the female musicians though, seeing as men tend to have more predictable/traditional tastes than women. I for one find Johnny Greenwood very good looking, and there's something about the likes of a Tom Waits or a Leonard Cohen or a (younger) Johnny Rotten that's very attractive.

That's a point, I think Jonny carries himself well is the thing plus I reckon women make allowances for talent. Noel Fielding is another supposedly attractive man I simply don't get the appeal for, he's ugly as a manatee and annoying as hell.

Joanna is sort of cute in an oddball way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

You saying Paolo Nutini is good looking but dosn't make good music? His music is brilliant.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    You saying Paolo Nutini is good looking but dosn't make good music? His music is brilliant.

The first one

More for the case for the opposition...

jeffmangum.jpg nice jumper, you feckin weirdo you

janis-joplin-woodstock.jpg

NickCave-before.jpg

Could be explained by the fact that good looking people can generally just coast through life on that without having to work too hard at being talented. That's actually why I'm so **** at everything.

Never seen that pic of Jeff Mangum in that high a resolution, Jesus are those freckles?

I'm undecided still whether Annie Clark is attractive, she's more... odd looking,

st-vincent-actor-album-art.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Jeff Buckley was a very good looking guy..

jeffbuckley.jpg?w=500&h=354

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

markesmith.jpg

Never seen that pic of Jeff Mangum in that high a resolution, Jesus are those freckles?

I'm undecided still whether Annie Clark is attractive, she's more... odd looking,

st-vincent-actor-album-art.jpg

Freckles, little spots of concentrated peculiarity, bad image, who knows :P chose the pic for the jumper more than anything tbh

Annie's striking anyway, kinda couture model good-looking but not real life goodlooking I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jeez, I think all the "uglies" on this thread are fairly ok looking (bar Mark E Smith as posted by stovelid, but if MES hadn't let himself go so phenomenally he'd be all right-looking), some of them even quite good-looking! :)

I had the hugest crush on Morrissey when I was 11/12 and I still think he was darn beautiful. He's gotten very old looking recently IMO - older than his 51 years.

morrissey-viva_hate.jpg

Dudess wrote: »
    Jeez, I think all the "uglies" on this thread are fairly ok looking (bar Mark E Smith as posted by stovelid, but if MES hadn't let himself go so phenomenally he'd be all right-looking), some of them even quite good-looking! :)

I had the hugest crush on Morrissey when I was 11/12 and I still think he was darn beautiful. He's gotten very old looking recently IMO - older than his 51 years.

morrissey-viva_hate.jpg

Pah, hasn't been laid in 2 years I hear :pac:

Also, looks AND talent? Good thing God evened him out by making him such a douchebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hero-21-david-byrne.jpg

nickdrake.jpg

kate_b.jpg

arthur_lee11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

If this theory holds true then surely Ringo was the most talented one in The Beatles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Personally think Annie Clark and Joanna Newsom are very attractive, in a very real world way.

Pretty geniuses:

kurt-cobain.jpg

nick_cave_1.jpg

emmy_3.jpg

Also PJ Harvey, Kim Gordon, Natasha Khan, Ryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen and Conor Oberst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

large_KT_Tunstall_1.jpg

Of the female singers on my ipod, KT Tunstall would have to be the prettiest.

Karen O!!!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Karen O!!!

Nothx

click_karen_o.jpg

And before anyone says Alice Glass, she looks like she smells awful and I'd hardly call her a musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bob Dylan, Jimmy Paige, Debbie Harry, Grace Slick, Hope Sandoval, Nico.

In my opinion, Natasha Khan is a less pretty Lily Allen (that's not a criticism as I think Lily Allen is absolutely stunning). And I think that Paramore one is unremarkable looking to the point of being on a par with some of the people deemed ugly on this thread.

I think Hayley Williams (Paramore woman) is gorgeous, but not in a very 'traditional' way. The way she carries herself is attractive.

Also, since this is a thread about attractive people, and Radiohead have been mentioned, would anyone like to see the creepiest video on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Never reeeaally got into her music, but what I heard didn't seem objectionable, and she's a blayrin' roide!

ghayes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

So most very good looking musicians make sh*t music ie. boy/girl bands, that cockrot Paolo Nutini, Matt Bellamy, that Paramore tart and the likes.

Whilst most of the greats are pretty ugly:

Matt Bellamy is goodlooking?

Advertisement