Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Changing Machines - Where to get the best rate??

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Years of throwing loose change into jars has left me with a sizeable mountain of coins that i need to swap back into real money. I was thinking of using those coin changing machines that you see in supermarkets usually near the door but have noticed the commission charged varies from machine to machine. Does anybody know where to get the best rate in the south Dublin area?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

These guys charge 9.9% apparently:

http://locator.coinstar.com/Map.aspx?page=IE&language=EN&country=IE

Other option is to get the required change bags from a bank and count it all out manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Since its a bank holiday most shops like spar and centra would be cryin out for change, so long as its bagged and counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

I think that Tescos allow you to convert the change into shopping vouchers to use in their store. Have a look at the Dundrum shop, I know I have seen it in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Tesco in Nutgrove have one.

No charge, you get a voucher but you can change it for cash at the customer service.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Amaru KGB wrote: »
    Tesco in Nutgrove have one.

No charge, you get a voucher but you can change it for cash at the customer service.

they charge comission also, even if you take tesco vouchers. See thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566445

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

copacetic wrote: »

Sorry I taught it was free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can anyone confirm this is still the case?

I thought the machines were changed, and the new ones dont charge you the commission is you use the value instore.

Davy wrote: »

I thought the machines were changed, and the new ones dont charge you the commission is you use the value instore.

can't say for sure, but this thread from last week says the same:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894934

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Davy wrote: »

My one charges and I think it is purposely very misleading and that they definitely know people will make this mistake.

In my tesco you can put the money in and get the money back or a voucher for tesco. So at first I thought "well they must take commission on the money but the tesco voucher must be full value" -this was my (incorrect) presumption because if not I would have the question -who in their right mind would want a voucher only usable in tesco instead of cash. I reckon many people would have the same reasonable logic and fall for this scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i went into tesco to use their coin changer and got charged the 10% or what ever it was.
    they did offer for me to redeem the entire amount by shopping there...
    so if you do your weekly shopping there... grab half your coins or what ever, exchange them and use the receipt instore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

I'll bag it and cash it for you for 8.5%. I live in South Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

What happens if you put your money in and then let on you didn't know about the charge.

How do they give you back your money ?

samhail wrote: »
    i went into tesco to use their coin changer and got charged the 10% or what ever it was.
    they did offer for me to redeem the entire amount by shopping there.
    Which tesco was this? Mine is ballybrack, I will check if anything has changed next time I am there. They were definitely not giving the full amount of the shopping voucher last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

at the moment you need to seperate teh €2, €1 & 50c and count these yourself & exchange in bank. - use the machine for the smaller coin.

going forward have 2 jars - one for 20c / 50c + and the other for 10c & less.

rubadub wrote: »
    Which tesco was this? Mine is ballybrack, I will check if anything has changed next time I am there.
    It was still as misleading as before. It said you could get a voucher and redeem for cash or redeem the full value for tesco vouchers, I forget the exact phrase. Then around the screen there were 2 small stickers saying coinstar got ~9% for every coin counted. Which would lead me to think you do not get the full value as a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It was still as misleading as before. It said you could get a voucher and redeem for cash or redeem the full value for tesco vouchers, I forget the exact phrase. Then around the screen there were 2 small stickers saying coinstar got ~9% for every coin counted. Which would lead me to think you do not get the full value as a voucher.

Asked in tesco.
    If you take cash, you pay the 9%
    If you use the voucher for your shopping, you get the full value.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Asked in tesco.
    If you take cash, you pay the 9%
    If you use the voucher for your shopping, you get the full value.
    Cheers, I'll ask in mine to make sure, and test with €1 of coppers just to be double sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

My one charges and I think it is purposely very misleading and that they definitely know people will make this mistake.

In my tesco you can put the money in and get the money back or a voucher for tesco. So at first I thought "well they must take commission on the money but the tesco voucher must be full value" -this was my (incorrect) presumption because if not I would have the question -who in their right mind would want a voucher only usable in tesco instead of cash. I reckon many people would have the same reasonable logic and fall for this scam.

Not really a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I too, have a load of coins clogging up my room.
    Does anyone know if there are any cheap coin counters available in Dublin instead of having to go to tescos or anywhere else?

Not really a scam
    I still think it is, and a brilliant scam at that, unless it is like the other poster said and you do get full value for the shop. I am still wondering if you really do get the full value, a clever setup would be people putting in €100 in change and it reporting the value as €91, taking off the 9% automatically. People are dumping in change and 99% of them would not know how much is there in the first place, so they could be being misled thinking they are getting full value in vouchers. After closely examining the wording on the one in my tesco it did seem they might take the 9% right away and not explicitly tell you that the value you see has it taken off.

• Advertisement

the receipts show how much you put in, but show the total minus the 9% as the actual value. I asked and the customer service person said you get the 'full value' if using it as a voucher, but said this meant the total minus the 9%, which is what comes up when the barcode on the voucher is scanned.

but said this meant the total minus the 9%, which is what comes up when the barcode on the voucher is scanned.
    Well if that is not a misleading scam I dunno what is. A few other posters seemed to think they were getting the voucher for the full amount they put in, and I expect many do.

Like I said before the fact they offer a cash value or voucher is even more devious -who in their right mind would want a voucher only usable in tesco instead of cash.

Well if that is not a misleading scam I dunno what is. A few other posters seemed to think they were getting the voucher for the full amount they put in, and I expect many do.

Like I said before the fact they offer a cash value or voucher is even more devious -who in their right mind would want a voucher only usable in tesco instead of cash.

tbh I wasn't sure the customer service person knew for sure what would happen, so I just took the cash. It's confusing the way it's worded, but the machine doesn't let you go ahead unless you agree to the charge so can't see how anyone can have many complaints except with Tesco themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

The Bank of Ireland in college green used to have one free of charge, but for some strange reason got rid of it.
    Maybe someone knows of other banks around the place with 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Just been to Tesco for this purpose. The machines states on the front that you can use the full value against shopping in Tesco or take it as cash by visiting the customer service desk. The interface is touch screen which tells you that they will take 9.9%. The end result gives you a total count, the commission amount, and then your 'full' amount.

The customer service girl said that coinstar sill take their 9.9% regardless. This was backed up by the manager who agreed that the information on the front of the machine is misleading but it's owned by coinstar and there was nothing he could do. Felt like asking for my coins back! :) That would have been fun.

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    Just been to Tesco for this purpose. The machines states on the front that you can use the full value against shopping in Tesco or take it as cash by visiting the customer service desk. The interface is touch screen which tells you that they will take 9.9%. The end result gives you a total count, the commission amount, and then your 'full' amount.

The customer service girl said that coinstar sill take their 9.9% regardless.
    This was backed up by the manager who agreed that the information on the front of the machine is misleading but it's owned by coinstar and there was nothing he could do. Felt like asking for my coins back! :) That would have been fun.

Cheers

this is as I found out last week.

Also, stalker alert, was this about 25 minutes ago in Tesco Dundrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

this is as I found out last week.

Also, stalker alert, was this about 25 minutes ago in Tesco Dundrum?

*Nervously looks over shoulder* eeeeekkkk..... yes it was me. I didn't argue....much. ;)

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    *Nervously looks over shoulder* eeeeekkkk..... yes it was me. I didn't argue....much. ;)

Cheers

I only noticed because I was a couple of people back in queue when you collected your cash and it was deja vu from myself last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭robert2000

Any of you out there who still have a stash of pre Euro Irish coins, there is a coin counting machine in the Central Bank building in Dame st, they give you a reciept with the amount on it you go upstairs and that is converted into Euros and all with no charge. the only problem i had was that there was a handfull of English 1 and 2 pences if they see those they will ask you to remove them as the machine can't see the differance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

I did the same thing, Its a scam end of story. Tesco cant blame a third party machine is on there premises.

10% commission is a heffty charge and obviously tesco is getting kick backs from coin star.

Advertisement