Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environment/Forestry type courses

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

I have a degree in Computer Science and have been working in the industry for 5yrs now. Recently I've been thinking of a change in direction and have been looking at environment and forestry in particular. I can't afford to leave work and enter uni fulltime so does anyone know any part time or distance learning courses that would get me on the right track?

Thanks,
    Will

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Canis_Lupus

I've just completed a forestry degree and as far as I know the National School of Forestry at Newton Rigg do part time or distance courses.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Faculties/FacultyofScienceandNaturalResources/National%20School%20of%20Forestry/home.aspx

I also studied with the Open University and highly recommend them. You can study environmental science with them so you should check them out.

www.open.ac.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 36 envirowill

Thanks for that. Did you study the degree at WIT or UCD? The MSc at cumbria looks good but apprently you need a degree in related subject or experience. I found this instead http://www.bangor.ac.uk/senrgy//courses/distancelearning/courses/forestry.php which would take me on if I can prove to them I am worth it.

Do you know of a forestry course in Ballyhaise? I think it runs for 26weeks.
    I've just completed a forestry degree and as far as I know the National School of Forestry at Newton Rigg do part time or distance courses.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Faculties/FacultyofScienceandNaturalResources/National%20School%20of%20Forestry/home.aspx

I also studied with the Open University and highly recommend them. You can study environmental science with them so you should check them out.

www.open.ac.uk

I studied at WIT.

The Bangor one is always an option to get your foot in the door. Yeah I heard about Ballyhaise, its either 1 or 2 years, but I'm not sure. Check it out. I think it includes work experience and chainsaw certificates.

It provides links into the 2nd year of WIT too.

Is it specifically forestry you want to study or would other environmental related subjects suit you too?

Well forestry would be my main interest, I've always thought about getting into that area. Since I've worked in GIS research institutes and have GIS related experience that could help.

Well I have not given much thought about other environmental subjects. My main concern is to find a MSc or Diploma and that I can do it Part Time or by Distance Learning as in full time work I have not got the money to quit and attempt it full time.

Are you now working in forestry or are you going for a postgrad?

I'm looking at postgards in europe myself. For forestry, getting a broader perspective than just the Irish way of doing it is important.

Its hard to know if forestry can be effectively learned via distance. I've always found that the lectures only make sense when we go out to the woods!

The open uni would solve your part time distance problem, but offer environmental science over forestry. That field is highly relevant though, you would just be lacking more practical forestry areas such as timber measurement, economics, silviculture etc.

Consider looking into grants/savings and applying to UCD or WIT perhaps if its definitely forestry you want?

• Advertisement

Well I looked at the Bangor MSc http://www.bangor.ac.uk/senrgy//courses/distancelearning/courses/forestry.php because it's accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters so it must be somewhat good. Also I'd prefer a postgrad in something since I already have a degree I don't want to take 4/5 years out going for a degree again.

Maybe doing an environmental science masters and the ballyhaise forester course would bridge the gap? Unfortunately I'm not eligible for any grants but I would be able to claim back on tax on any course I do pay for.

If the bangor course can be done then it might be a good idea. Maybe they arrange it so you can spend sometime in the woods.

Its worth your while trying to tie in the forestry with your computer qualification.

Theres little work in forestry at the moment, but GIS and laser sensor technology seem to be the next big thing in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 "V"

This might suit, i am doing it myself and i am finding it interesting enough.
    http://odl.itsligo.ie/science/higher-certificate-in-science-in-environmental-management/

Not bad but if im correct, to get the 60 points for the certificate it would cost 4 grand.

You could do a certificate with the open university for about 1500. I don't know the quality of the Sligo one, but I can't fault the OU.

Well in my workplace (I'm just back from Oz so currently between jobs) it was a GIS institute (I was the technician) so I have a grounding in GIS and know it would be very beneficial.

Myself and the missus were thinking of moving to canada in a couple years so a qualification in forestry would be useful there as well.

Another option would be to do the MSc and with the thesis I could do GIS so I would have the best of both worlds?

And for practical work I could try the Ballyhaise course in Cavan. Hmm this is proving more difficult than I thought.
    If the bangor course can be done then it might be a good idea. Maybe they arrange it so you can spend sometime in the woods.

Its worth your while trying to tie in the forestry with your computer qualification.

Theres little work in forestry at the moment, but GIS and laser sensor technology seem to be the next big thing in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 "V"

Not bad but if im correct, to get the 60 points for the certificate it would cost 4 grand.

You could do a certificate with the open university for about 1500. I don't know the quality of the Sligo one, but I can't fault the OU.

Yea it costs 8 grand for the higher cert over two years, but i have to say the support is very good as we have 5/6 weekend workshops each year.
    But i agree you cant beat OU for price and quality overall.

To the original poster, have you given any further thought to what you will do?

I think forestry is a difficult industry to break into in your situation (distance/part time). Saying that its not impossible!

If I don't into the forestry masters I've applied for, I'm going to get an environmental science degree with the Open University.

I realise that the woodland habitat is my primary interest, not the timber industry, and environmental science may help me realise this better.

Yeah I have been looking at the environmental types courses aswell, depends on the course really. I would like to specialize in forestry even if it is difficult to break in to. The most important fact is that I do not want to do another degree. I'd rather do a masters which would save me a hell of a lot of time.

What/where is the MSc you applied for??
    To the original poster, have you given any further thought to what you will do?

I think forestry is a difficult industry to break into in your situation (distance/part time). Saying that its not impossible!

If I don't into the forestry masters I've applied for, I'm going to get an environmental science degree with the Open University.

I realise that the woodland habitat is my primary interest, not the timber industry, and environmental science may help me realise this better.

http://www.boku.ac.at/mf.html?&L=1 M.Sc in Mountain Forestry at Vienna

http://www.fem.uni-freiburg.de/ M.Sc. in Forest Ecology and Management, Freiburg (deadline May 15th)

and two Erasmus masters, SUTROFOR and SUFONAMA. If you google them you'll get the websites.

You should check out masters-portal.eu. Thats where I found all my info.

Also no harm to shoot an email to WIT and UCD and see if there will be any postgrad forestry courses.

Best of luck with your applications. Hope you're good in German ;)

I've been checking out all the courses and I *think* I'll do the distance msc in forestry from Bangor Uni http://www.bangor.ac.uk/senrgy//courses/distancelearning/courses/forestry.php There's three start dates, Jan, May and Sept which gives me good options also I can either go for a cert, diploma or full msc while doing the course.

I think for now I'll get more info from them and see if they would accept me.

WIT and UCD are only doing undergrad courses, UCD seemed to have stopped their postgrad course.
    http://www.boku.ac.at/mf.html?&L=1 M.Sc in Mountain Forestry at Vienna

http://www.fem.uni-freiburg.de/ M.Sc. in Forest Ecology and Management, Freiburg (deadline May 15th)

and two Erasmus masters, SUTROFOR and SUFONAMA. If you google them you'll get the websites.

You should check out masters-portal.eu. Thats where I found all my info.

Also no harm to shoot an email to WIT and UCD and see if there will be any postgrad forestry courses.

Advertisement