Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairns?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi everyone,

I´ve been reading through these threads alot and am hearing alot about people living in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne but would love to hear of peoples´experiences in Cairns??

I´ll be looking for administration and office work. My main issue is employment of course and creepy crawlies... Also, I don´t know if my dad is trying to scaremonger me but are the beaches dangerous because of jelly fish? (I´ve been in Sydney and Melbourne but didn´t see any scary creepy crawlies, I just got eaten alive by mosquitoes!)

Thanks,

Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Cairns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LisaMe

Lurching wrote: »
    Cairns?

Yes Cairns...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Sorry, I was being particular!

Theres no need at all to worry about jellyfish or creepy crawlies, any more than the rest of australia.

OK I edited the spelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Theres no need at all to worry about jellyfish or creepy crawlies, any more than the rest of australia.

Yes there is...most of the dangerous stuff is only in the north of the country really (Crocs and Iriikanji Jellyfish) In fact the waters and beaches are closed for most of the year for swimming because of this and full stinger suits are needed...this is not the case from Brisbane down

these stingers only live in the warmer waters - same with Crocs...you wont have to worry too much about great Whites though as they are down the other end...all the big spiders are up in Cairns though but they are not dangersous like the smaller ones in Sydney (funnel web)...

You will see far more in Cairns (except Darwin) than anywhere else in Australia as it is a tropical and is always warm (and often wet). Mosquitoes are the real problem though (and 1000% times worse than down south)... they also spread real disease that far up and dengue was a real probllem last year (could have been the year before)...

Saying that though, this is the perfect time of year to be heading up there as it is into the dry (i.e. winter everywhere else) and it is beautiful up there (not too hot but beautiful warm)

I can't there will be much office work up there though as it is mainly a backpacker town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

That statement is very untrue :)

Queensland is full of scary killy things.

Theres a seashell that can kill you up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWFGd1nMa1A

come on now....all together!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol the spiders arent that big OP, honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Most boring town Ive ever had the misfortune of spending a week in. From what I read/ heard I expected it to be the wildest party of my life, FFS I read it described as the Ibiza of the Southern Hemisphere somewhere. Truth was it was an awful boring sh1thole, the clubs are fcuking awful, cheesey as fcuk. If going to the likes of Redz and Coppers back home are your thing you will enjoy it, apart from that Id rather die than go back there.

Thanks for the replies.... ehhhh Cairns sounds great!! :eek:

I'm confused if I should go now. I liked Melbourne but I will be heading back to Australia soon so would love a warmer (Australian) winter

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lol the spiders arent that big OP, honest...

Scary stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Queensland health are a big employer with many offices around the region that might have admin work.

Careers site

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Love Cairns, been there a couple of times. However, it's not the most exciting place around...

Advertisement