Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting shooting

Options
  • 02-05-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi i am thinking about starting shooting i am 15 will be 16 soon am interested in getting a .22 rifle for a start so just wondering the procedures i would need to go through ,what i would need (safe ,hardbox etc)
    and btw my father does not have a gun or licence would this make a difference
    also any suggestions on a good rifle and gear to get are always helpful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Heres the procedure:

A./ Visit as many gun shops as you can and compare prices on similar guns. I'd recommend starting off with a .22LR or .17, they're great calibres for starting off with and both the guns and ammunition are relatively inexpensive. Depending on your budget, buy a new or decent secondhand gun.

B./ When you decided on the gun you want, you put a deposit down on it and this way the dealer will hold the gun for you pending you receiving the license. The dealer will give you a letter for the Gardai stating that you have purchased this gun of this calibre of this serial number and that he will be holding onto the gun until such a time as you arrive back in his shop license in hand.

C./ You will either have to join a gun club or get permission from at least two farmers and this permission must be in the form of a letter from each land owner stating that they give you permission to shoot on their land.
    Its always good to have the land owner state where the land they are giving you permision to shoot on is, so as the Gardai will have exact detail.

D./ Go to the Garda web site www.garda.ie and download form FCA1, its in .pdf format so make sure you have adobe reader installed on your computer. You can go into any Garda station and get one of these forms there as well.

E./ Take plenty of time filling in the FCA1 form as theres lots of questions to be answered, including why you want the type of gun you intend to purchase etc. etc.

F./ When you have your letter from the shop, the letters from the land owners or proof of joining a gun club and the FCA1 form all filled out you bring them all into your local station and hand them in.
    Your local Garda may want to meet you for a quick chat regarding the gun license this is normal (In my neck of the woods anyway).

G./ You will have to purchase a gun safe that is upto standard to hold your gun and these can be bought for around €100 and up.
    The local crime prevention officer may pay you a visit to inspect the gun safe is installed correctly. It must be bolted to a solid wall and to the floor also. If all is well he will send off his report stating all is well on the safety front and the license application will continue on to the next step.

H./ The Superintendent is the man who will make the final decision as to whether you receive the license or not. If he refuses you a license then he must state as to why exactly he is refusing the issuance of the license.

On boards.ie theres a whole section about filling in the FCA1 form and new license FAQs I think its on the very first page of the shooting \ hunting forum at the top, its well worth a read.

Anyway, hope the info. is useful and that once you get licensed you come back to this forum and get as much info starting with SAFETY as possible regarding your new sport. The lads here have huge experience and knowledge and are always only too pleased to pass on some of that knowledge when needed.

Best of luck !!!

This advice i got of the guys on here if you have any more question just ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Heres the procedure:

A./ Visit as many gun shops as you can and compare prices on similar guns. I'd recommend starting off with a .22LR or .17, they're great calibres for starting off with and both the guns and ammunition are relatively inexpensive. Depending on your budget, buy a new or decent secondhand gun.

B./ When you decided on the gun you want, you put a deposit down on it and this way the dealer will hold the gun for you pending you receiving the license. The dealer will give you a letter for the Gardai stating that you have purchased this gun of this calibre of this serial number and that he will be holding onto the gun until such a time as you arrive back in his shop license in hand.

C./ You will either have to join a gun club or get permission from at least two farmers and this permission must be in the form of a letter from each land owner stating that they give you permission to shoot on their land.
    Its always good to have the land owner state where the land they are giving you permision to shoot on is, so as the Gardai will have exact detail.

D./ Go to the Garda web site www.garda.ie and download form FCA1, its in .pdf format so make sure you have adobe reader installed on your computer. You can go into any Garda station and get one of these forms there as well.

E./ Take plenty of time filling in the FCA1 form as theres lots of questions to be answered, including why you want the type of gun you intend to purchase etc. etc.

F./ When you have your letter from the shop, the letters from the land owners or proof of joining a gun club and the FCA1 form all filled out you bring them all into your local station and hand them in.
    Your local Garda may want to meet you for a quick chat regarding the gun license this is normal (In my neck of the woods anyway).

G./ You will have to purchase a gun safe that is upto standard to hold your gun and these can be bought for around €100 and up.
    The local crime prevention officer may pay you a visit to inspect the gun safe is installed correctly. It must be bolted to a solid wall and to the floor also. If all is well he will send off his report stating all is well on the safety front and the license application will continue on to the next step.

H./ The Superintendent is the man who will make the final decision as to whether you receive the license or not. If he refuses you a license then he must state as to why exactly he is refusing the issuance of the license.

On boards.ie theres a whole section about filling in the FCA1 form and new license FAQs I think its on the very first page of the shooting \ hunting forum at the top, its well worth a read.

Anyway, hope the info. is useful and that once you get licensed you come back to this forum and get as much info starting with SAFETY as possible regarding your new sport. The lads here have huge experience and knowledge and are always only too pleased to pass on some of that knowledge when needed.

Best of luck !!!

This advice i got of the guys on here if you have any more question just ask ;)

Dannyboy,
    I'm flattered that you considered my list of what to do when getting a gun worth repeating, as you did above- Think I'll have to get copyright on my posts in future in case someone else uses them as their own.
    By the way newbie, hope all goes well for you !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Dannyboy,
    I'm flattered that you considered my list of what to do when getting a gun worth repeating, as you did above- Think I'll have to get copyright on my posts in future in case someone else uses them as their own.

This is what boards is all about IMHO. Helping each other to create an environment of learning.

I wish I had as much help when I wanted to get my first firearm. The internet did not exist in Ireland then so everything was hearsay and word of mouth.

OP you may have difficulty getting a rifle. Some Supers prefer you to have a shotgun for a while, but if you fill out the forms correctly; and make sure when you go in you bring an adult( that is known to the Gardaí in the station as a responsible adult/Shooter who can vouch that you are serious about your application and not just a whim.) {your dad or family friend}

Also it is a good idea to go to the station to have a chat first and test the water. If the Gardaí say you should have no issues then you will have no issues.
    Talk to your Local Sgt or Garda in charge of firearms, they will also help you fill out your application if you are nice and polite.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

okay thanks for all your help ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

where you from billy?

• Advertisement

Dannyboy,

Never said it was mine ass coverd ;)
    Great advice as i said

Read the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Never said it was mine ass coverd ;)
    Great advice as i said

Read the end

Only Kiddin Bro !!! Just glad I could help out!!!!!

where you from billy?

i'm from north cork:D will probably go in to country lifestyle in mallow and talk to pat hayes and have a look at what he has in stock :)

Only Kiddin Bro !!! Just glad I could help out!!!!!

Haha cool :D Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

i'm from north cork:D will probably go in to country lifestyle in mallow and talk to pat hayes and have a look at what he has in stock :)

if your goin to buy new you would be better off goin in to cork andling and outdoor center on the kinsale road roundabout, hes a great help and will give you a better deal than the lad in mallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

im from north cork aswell, pat hayes is dear in my opinion, i got my rifle from chris green, he might be worth a try as he gets nice 2nd hand guns, if its new your after there is a man in killarney that is meant to be great

if your goin to buy new you would be better off goin in to cork andling and outdoor center on the kinsale road roundabout, hes a great help and will give you a better deal than the lad in mallow

thanks i'll have a look there deffinetly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

thebillynator,
    theirishguy recently got his first 22 rifle if i remember right. Maybe he might be able to give you a hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dusty87 wrote: »
    thebillynator,
    theirishguy recently got his first 22 rifle if i remember right. Maybe he might be able to give you a hand

Get a Bi-pod like Dusty Billy ;)

Dusty is hitting much more since he got THE LOAN of one;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Get a Bi-pod like Dusty Billy ;)

Dusty is hitting much more since he got THE LOAN of one;)

He needs his rifle first;)

Advertisement