Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure of Masters v Undergrad

Options
  • 02-05-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am going to Smurfit next year and just wondering about the sort of stress/pressure or whatever you want to call it, people have experienced in Smurfit.

For the course I am doing (strat man and planning) the thesis is not in until the end of the summer. Im currently finishing off my undergrad and, for me personally, if I did not have to worry about my current thesis, my exams/course work would be a walk in the park.

How have others felt when doing a masters compared to their undergrad degree?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

I think a lot depends on what you did your undergrad in and what masters you're going to do. Personally the only difference between the two for me was that the standards set by your classmates will be higher rather than the course being any harder. I also went to Smurfit, I doubt any course there would be called a walk in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

ugabuga wrote: »
    I think a lot depends on what you did your undergrad in and what masters you're going to do. Personally the only difference between the two for me was that the standards set by your classmates will be higher rather than the course being any harder. I also went to Smurfit, I doubt any course there would be called a walk in the park!

Ye maybe a walk in the park was a poor expression but you understood what I meant anyway. Since I have no job for the summer ill probably end up doing some study over the summer

Can I ask you how you felt it helped your career? Did you get a job fast after you had finished?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

With my masters (MAcc) most people have jobs sorted before they start and the course just gives them professional exemptions. But anyone who didn't have a job at the start had a job at the end - they were very good at helping people with applications etc. I've no idea about how good strat man and planning is careerwise as I don't know anyone in that class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

I have a friend currently on the strat man and planning course in smurfit. He's currently in the process of doing his thesis.

In terms of pressure. My friend and I were both students in the same undergrad course. We were doing alot of team based projects in what was regarded as quite a tough year, both in terms of workload and contact hours.

Now hes in Smurfit, he feels that the course, while similiar in many respects (lots of group work and hours), is actually a step down in terms of workload and pressure, vis a vis his undergrad.

Really it depends on what undegrad you're coming from. If its a business based undergrad, I'd expect the masters to be roughly the same perhaps a small step up in terms of the quality of yours fellow students. If its not a business based undergrad theres no doubt it will be tough and very demanding but absolutely doable if you dedicate your whole year to it. (I wouldn't have a part time job on the side.)

Job prospects are good. Consulting and banking firms account for alot of the graduate job offered.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

sodabread wrote: »
    I have a friend currently on the strat man and planning course in smurfit. He's currently in the process of doing his thesis.

In terms of pressure. My friend and I were both students in the same undergrad course. We were doing alot of team based projects in what was regarded as quite a tough year, both in terms of workload and contact hours.

Now hes in Smurfit, he feels that the course, while similiar in many respects (lots of group work and hours), is actually a step down in terms of workload and pressure, vis a vis his undergrad.

Really it depends on what undegrad you're coming from. If its a business based undergrad, I'd expect the masters to be roughly the same perhaps a small step up in terms of the quality of yours fellow students. If its not a business based undergrad theres no doubt it will be tough and very demanding but absolutely doable if you dedicate your whole year to it. (I wouldn't have a part time job on the side.)

Job prospects are good. Consulting and banking firms account for alot of the graduate job offered.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that. Ye I coming from a business degree and I will definitely not be working, considering the cost of the course I want to make the most of it!

Do you know by any chance do people in the course have jobs already or?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement