Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to do Computer Science

Options
  • 02-05-2010 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi
    Ive worked out I want to do Computer Science in college but I dunno where?
    Are they all the same? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Snow Leopard

Just a word of warning - Think long and hard before choosing CS. The course requires a big interest in the subject to succeed.

All CS courses are essentially the same, but I hear that the UL and DCU computer science courses are both very good. The opportunity of work placement that these colleges offer is a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ya UL and DCU would be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiGhTz OuT

oh right cool
    do you know what programming languages you learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

I thought they did Computer "Applications" as opposed to CS in DCU. If its actual CS you want to do (theoretical computer science included) I would recommend going to Trinity, where you'll do modules in Digital Logic Design as well as the usual programming (Java and assembly in first year). PM me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I would advise against UCD because of personal experience, very poorly organised department.

I have been told by TCD CS alumni to avoid TCD like the plague.......

I'd suggest DIT, course there is meant to be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm planning on going to Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

computer applications at dcu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Keano! wrote: »
    computer applications at dcu
    Is there not like 300 people doing that? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Fad wrote: »
    I would advise against UCD because of personal experience, very poorly organised department.

I have been told by TCD CS alumni to avoid TCD like the plague.......

I'd suggest DIT, course there is meant to be excellent.

I heard DIT's Computer Science course is very boring and not very versatile. And apparently they've revised UCD's CS course this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I was thinking of putting TCD due to an increased chance of postgrad in US then (aparently well known:))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiGhTz OuT

Yeah someone else recommended DIT to me a few weeks ago
    Ill prob go there and if not, DCU
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

just a few notes..........

not to be racist or anything........but at dcu as far as i know most if not all the teaching staff in the cs department are from asian countries........china/japan...e.t.c
    it wouldnt bother me normally but when your trying to learn somthing and being advised in very poor english by somome who has learned what they know in china it can be really confusing.......and im rarely confused when it comes to computers

if i had to say the best for cs....i would say nci { national college of ireland}............they get some serious funding and have new stuff every year as opposed to the machines that dcu use which are mostly upgraded pc,s from the late 90,s...........you can also get great grants and other assistance from nci............there located in the ifsc just beside connoly station...........and its probably the biggest party college in the country........even if your not living on campess you,ll get invited to several parties a week.............and nci bases there grades on continual assessment which means you get points for how well you do through the year and not just the final exam...............

theres also some brilliant perks like free gym membership and daily live music in there canteines and stuff...............its just a great college for people who want to excell at there chosen study but also dont want to give up 4 years of fun they could be having............

easy enough to get into aswell id say 280-300 points is minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

denballs wrote: »

not to be racist or anything........but at dcu as far as i know most if not all the teaching staff in the cs department are from asian countries........china/japan...e.t.c
    it wouldnt bother me normally but when your trying to learn somthing and being advised in very poor english by somome who has learned what they know in china it can be really confusing.......and im rarely confused when it comes to computers

if i had to say the best for cs....i would say nci { national college of ireland}............they get some serious funding and have new stuff every year as opposed to the machines that dcu use which are mostly upgraded pc,s from the late 90,s...........you can also get great grants and other assistance from nci............there located in the ifsc just beside connoly station...........and its probably the biggest party college in the country........even if your not living on campess you,ll get invited to several parties a week.............and nci bases there grades on continual assessment which means you get points for how well you do through the year and not just the final exam...............

theres also some brilliant perks like free gym membership and daily live music in there canteines and stuff...............its just a great college for people who want to excell at there chosen study but also dont want to give up 4 years of fun they could be having............

easy enough to get into aswell id say 280-300 points is minimum

I fully understand what you are saying about the foreign teaching staff. Alot of the time they struggle to impart information on to you.

As for going to NCI........not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭28064212

boblong wrote: »
    I thought they did Computer "Applications" as opposed to CS in DCU. If its actual CS you want to do (theoretical computer science included) I would recommend going to Trinity, where you'll do modules in Digital Logic Design as well as the usual programming (Java and assembly in first year). PM me if you have any questions.
    The only reason they call it 'Computer Applications' is because they were trying to emphasise the greater practical slant of the course, including the work placement. In truth, DCU's course is as practical or theoretical as you want it to be, there's a huge subject choice

"Not to be racist or anything". Right. Not that it matters, but...

Don't know where you pulled that bit of information out of. I don't think there's even one lecturer in DCU's school of computing that is Asian. There are two or three from continental Europe, and they are some of the best lecturers I ever had

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

No shout out for CS&IT in NUIG ? Any views on that one ?

Sorta set my heart on that one as I really like Galway + most relatives live there :p

All the CS courses look the same on paper anyway, very hard to know which have the best lecturers/work placments etc

I could still easily change my mind myself :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

28064212 wrote: »
    The only reason they call it 'Computer Applications' is because they were trying to emphasise the greater practical slant of the course, including the work placement. In truth, DCU's course is as practical or theoretical as you want it to be, there's a huge subject choice
    "Not to be racist or anything". Right. Not that it matters, but...

Don't know where you pulled that bit of information out of. I don't think there's even one lecturer in DCU's school of computing that is Asian. There are two or three from continental Europe, and they are some of the best lecturers I ever had

hmm........perhaps i mistook some asian students that where assisting the lecturers for professors.......hard to tell their age........but nevertheless dcu is outdated in that department ..........not that its their fault they get very limited funding..............but with computers i think anyone would agree that if your not using and learning from the most modern hardware/software your not learning what you need to know to have a career in computers...............sure learning stuff from the 1940,s-1980,s is important as a foundation.......but you should also be learning about the newest innovations as they happen...................well i havent actually used the computers in dcu in a year and a half....but when i was there they had at least 10 year old pc,s with win 98 and 2k....{i think they had newer labs with xp though}................and well that was,nt too bad but when i asked if they had any linux computers { any as in any os} they had none i could use......dunno if they just had none or just a very limited amount.............well if your trying to decide the only way you can really make sure you get the right college is to sit in for a day.......or anight class if your busy during the day..................id do it soon though.........

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

denballs, is your keyboard broken? You don't need that many full stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭28064212

hmm........perhaps i mistook some asian students that where assisting the lecturers for professors.......hard to tell their age........but nevertheless dcu is outdated in that department ..........not that its their fault they get very limited funding..............but with computers i think anyone would agree that if your not using and learning from the most modern hardware/software your not learning what you need to know to have a career in computers...............sure learning stuff from the 1940,s-1980,s is important as a foundation.......but you should also be learning about the newest innovations as they happen...................well i havent actually used the computers in dcu in a year and a half....but when i was there they had at least 10 year old pc,s with win 98 and 2k....{i think they had newer labs with xp though}................and well that was,nt too bad but when i asked if they had any linux computers { any as in any os} they had none i could use......dunno if they just had none or just a very limited amount.............well if your trying to decide the only way you can really make sure you get the right college is to sit in for a day.......or anight class if your busy during the day..................id do it soon though.........
    Actually, having the latest software/hardware is pretty irrelevant in terms of teaching computer science. One of the most effective teaching tools in the computing building is the D6 machine, based around the ancient 80188 processor. And unless you're doing intense graphical work, you don't need a remotely powerful machine to run the type of programs that a CS student would be writing. The whole point of a CS degree is to give students the tools to learn about the newest innovations themselves. Also, teaching the 'newest' stuff as it happens is an exercise in futility, since there's no way to gauge what will be successful and what won't, and the expertise doesn't exist yet to support such classes.

And again, you're showing that you either have never been to the DCU computing department, or you have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't been in DCU since 2008, and there were certainly no Windows 98 machines in the building when I was there, and hadn't been for at least 6 years. There may have been one lab still using Windows 2000 machines (about 5% of the total machines in the building). All other machines were using XP or higher. And I don't know who told you there weren't any linux computers, every machine there dual-boots. Are you sure you weren't in the Henry Grattan building or the library instead of the computing building?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

My advice is to think about why you want to study CS. I have met/hired lots of computer grads down through the years and also studied CS in Trinity many moons ago.

Anyhow in my experience the graduates from Trinity and UCD are probably the best. Both these places seem to treat Computer Science in a much wider way than others I have come across and produce graduates who are better able to think for themselves and adapt to situations. As I have said, thats my experience from working with lots of computer graduates..and from getting their views on the courses.

I know some places are known for not covering a lot of the latest technologies, whereas other places might do..but in reality that does not matter at all, technology moves so fast the most important thing a graduate can posses is the ability to think for themselves. You would be amazed at the amount of computer grads I have come across that can write code and quote the Java language spec at me, but cannot problem solve to save their lives. I think this is a product of too many degree courses being set up like technical courses..with the entire focus being on job placement...i.e. teach people what they know in order to get a job, that is not the function of a University Degree.

Anyhow just my thoughts...best of luck whatever you choose.

Advertisement