Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV Xmas Gift Voucher Invalid

Options
  • 02-05-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I got a HMV gift voucher for xmas...Went to go use it yesterday ..at checkout there was a problem..I was told the card was invalid that there was never any money put on the card..They checked the card to see if they could put money on it there and then and they could ..
    I thought then it was their fault at Xmas that they gave the card out without puttin the money on it but apparently they have to slide the card through the till to put money on it and the till doesnt open until they do this!!
    So basically they have no idea what happened..so now I have to ask the person who gave me the voucher if they still have a receipt since Xmas because without it HMV cant do anything for me..
    Has anyone had any problems like this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Used to get this all the time in Argos. Someone would steal the (unactivated) cards, and then sell them on to people (who I assume then give them as gifts). The situation was a little clearer, because the Argos cards used to have the value printed on the back of them - if there was no printing, then it hadn't been activated, though I don't know how HMV do it.

I'd say you've very little chance of getting any satisfaction out of this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had the same issue with a voucher my Mum had in M&S last year, person at the till was very hostile indeed and looked at her as if she was scum. Lucky I still had the receipt ;) I took great pleasure in demanding an apology from the manager.

Now in fairness I can see their stance , even though the mistake was theirs anyone could lift a card and go back saying there should be $100 on it. Issue I had was the hostility of the sales assistant in that case.

Normally when I have gotten these the receipt has always been slipped into the little wallet and can easially be checked, I used never do it but after that experience I am now sure to include the receipt when I give a voucher to someone.

I'd say unless you have the receipt you'll be out of pocket OP, one thing though if it was payed for by lazer or visa they could check the records possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Doll Parts

Is it one of the pink gift cards with happy christmas in yellow? just wondering cos then it would be from this christmas and not any other christmas.. you'd be surprised how many people get a gift card and then pass it onto someone else as a present, they always come into the shop and get it reloaded onto a newer one or one that isnt a christmas one if they'd had it a while.. hmv cards expire two years from the last day it was used.
    it is impossible to sell one though without money being passed over and the til opening..

Advertisement