Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half-Marathons - Entry Fees & Prizes

• 02-05-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Some time ago, I posted a response on another thread and said that I was working on a table outlining the topic. A colleague & I are working on a detailed article for either the Irish Runner, or possibly an Irish National paper. Meantime, here's something to give you an idea of the position. You can make your own minds up. This is a very much a work in progress. We expect to contact each of the organisers, seeking information.

FYI, all Limited Companies are required, under both Irish and EU company law, to include, among other things, their Company registration details, the Company email address and the names of their directors on all official documents, including electronic documents e.g. websites and emails. The vast majority of the Limited Companies listed do not comply with this and for some, the contact details are, at best, extremenly vague. One wonders why.

Race| Price| Organiser| Company Reg No| Status| Prizes (info from race website or flyer, if available)
    Connemara| €70.00| CONNEMARA MARATHON LIMITED| 360744| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| There are overall prizes for Male and Female winners. There are also category prizes for M40, M50, M60 & M70 F35, F40, F50, F60, F70
    Limerick| €60.00| GREAT LIMERICK RUN LIMITED| 406149| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| Unstated
    Achill| €60.00| Achill Tourism| || Winners will get various glass presentations by Killian Schurmann and overall winners will get cash prizes as well
    Cliffs of Moher| €60.00| CLIFFS OF MOHER MARATHON| 386092| | First 5 men & women
    Dingle| €55.00| DINGLEMARATHON LIMITED| 466177| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| First 3 men & women
    Galway Bay| €50.00| GALWAY BAY HALF MARATHON| 395296|| there is a €500 prize for the winner of the half marathon male and female category. There are runner up Elverys Sports vouchers available for the various categories of men and women
    Gap of Dunloe| €50.00| SEAN'S IRISHFIT LIMITED| 399117| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| Overall First Male and Female: €75 Voucher Overall Second Male and Female: €50 Voucher Overall Third Male and Female: €25 Voucher
    Killarney| €50.00| Elite Events| Unclear - either 295474 or 360067| |First 6 men & women. First 2 men & women O/40/45/50
    Ballybunion| €50.00| Run Ballybunion / unclear| || Unstated|
    Bay Run| €50.00| WEST CORK RUN LIMITED| 413475| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| Unstated
    Kildare| €45.00| KILDARE HALF MARATHON| 386050| |Prizes will be given to the first 3 males and the first 3 females and spot prizes will also be available on the day.
    Mooathon| €45.00| SEAN'S IRISHFIT LIMITED| 399117| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| Total Prizes worth: €1000 First Place Overall Man worth: €400 First Place Overall Woman worth: €400 Best fancy Dress worth: €200
    Galway City| €45.00| RUNNING ADVENTURES IRELAND LIMITED| 480674| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| Two age group sections cater for the under 30’s and the under 40’s. Awards go to the top three males and females. The first of the age group races with the aged 40+ competing. Awards go to the top three males and females.
    River Moy 1/2 Marathon| Unstated| RIVER MOY MARATHON LIMITED| 474257| PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES| unstated
    Enniscorthy| €45.00| In association with Slaney Olympic AC| || First 10 men & women, First 3 men & women; 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, first 2 60, 65,70
    Longford| €43.50| Unclear||| Unstated|
    Clare Burren| €37.00| BALLYVAUGHAN FANORE WALKING CLUB||| unstated - apparently none on offer
    Dundalk| €30.00| Unclear||| first three
    Oylegate| €25.00| Oylegate Glenbrien G.A.A. Club| || First 3 men & women, Masters M&F 40-49, 50-59,60-69,70+
    Dublin City Half| €20.00| DUBLIN CITY MARATHON| 69131| | Top 20 men and women (presented on race day) plus Master categories
    Cork Half (Blarney)| €25.00| St Finbarr's AC|| | First 10 men, first 5 women, Full Masters categories prizes
    Cork to Cobh 15M| €20.00| Cork BHAA| || First 6 Men & Women, First 3 Men 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, First 3 Women 35, 40, 45, 50, First 2 Women 55, 60, 65

It is interesting to see the club organised events all at the lower end of the price range, yet generally offering a far wider range of prizes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

What's also interesting is the amount of limited companies on the list. I think it is time that the clubs fought back to capture some of this market.

Looks like most of the money is going out of athletics!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Its not a full list of half-marathons. It was lifted from a simple list someone posted elsewhere and the detail added. No race was removed from the list, however the two Cork races at the end were added.

It's an interesting snapshot of the current situation though.

One important thing though - it has, in marketing terms, raised the bar for club organised races. Clubs don't necessarily have to match the hype, but the danger, as I see it, is that club races may suffer from, for example, being 'gazumped'. Two examples are the clash of Bantry and Limerick today, though neither is a club organised event and Bantry, according to Cork AAI County Board, has not sought a permit. Last september the Dingle Half (and marathon) clashed with St Finbarr's Half.

Both examples of 'clashes' are a reasonable distance apart, but imho, too close for 'comfort' and not good for any of the events involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

I think it's great that this year there's 22+ races in this distance range to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Very interesting to compare but you should include races in the North in my opinion like Larne and Omagh as they are both £15 and would make a good contrast to the races on the list. It would make people think for what do they get for the more expensive races down here? I think very little as they are after a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Waterford AC half mid December only €20 ....
    Nearly 800 last year,really well marshalled,good fair course,goody bag.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

be great to see them with dates included..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

there is a recession going on yet most seem very exp.........Supply and demand though......I donr lisburn last year..........I will do it again i reckon as i aint going to pay 45 euro to do a half.....I know it will cost me that in juice but i am a principle man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

TBH, I don't really see the point in these kind of tables. Absolutely races should be value for moeny but a simple list is never going to show this as you're not comparing like with like. There is so much more than a measures 42.2/21.1/10... that makes a road race. For example you could say the BHAA Cork to Cobh 15 mile (cheap and cheerful) compares well to the connemara half (in the list above) but you have to get the train back from the Cork/Cobh where the Connemara provides buses. You also get the choice of 3 races. Similarly, noone can deny the imra races are great value for money, the ryanair of races but you need to reccie courses and will probably run tracts of the race along. The "mini"marathons are certainly not "on your own" races. Different types will appeal to different people. I just don't think you can descibe a race in an excel sheet and it's unfair to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

copacetic wrote: »
    be great to see them with dates included..

For a list of Half-Marathons in Ireland (North & South),
    see... http://sites.google.com/site/runninginireland/half-marathons-in-ireland

.....a simple list is never going to show this as you're not comparing like with like.
    The only comparisons available from the table are price, prizes and whether races are organised by clubs, limited companies or other bodies. As such it is comparing like with like.
    Condo131 wrote: »
    A colleague & I are working on a detailed article.....Meantime, here's something to give you an idea of the position. You can make your own minds up. This is a very much a work in progress.
    Its far from finished and it will be sometime before it is.
    .......... BHAA Cork to Cobh 15 mile (cheap and cheerful) compares well to the connemara half (in the list above) but you have to get the train back from the Cork/Cobh where the Connemara provides buses.
    Sorry Hunnymonster, I don't see your point here. There is no public transport available in one while there is in the second, and the cost is under €5. The difference in entry fee between the two is €50.
    Similarly, noone can deny the imra races are great value for money, the ryanair of races but you need to reccie courses and will probably run tracts of the race along.
    I agree entiely, but isn't the fact that you probably need to check them out part of the fun with these events. Furthermore there is full transparency with them - you know exactly where the money is going.
    I just don't think you can descibe a race in an excel sheet and it's unfair to try.
    Now Hunnymonster, when you finish like that, I think you protest too much. There is no semblence of a race description in the table, no judgement of any sort. What information do you feel is unfairly presented? Other posters have pointed out several races missing from the list, however the list was "lifted from a simple list someone posted elsewhere and the detail added. No race was removed from the list, however the two Cork races at the end were added."
    it's unfair to try.
    Unfair to whom? And if nobody tries, then it is exceedingly difficult for the ordinary punter to judge value for money.

Getting back to the value for money aspect. I'm surprised that you make no comment on one of the few objective comparisons that can be drawn from the table, namely the range of prizes on offer on the respective websites/flyers.

We want debate on this.
    You can make your own minds up.

• Advertisement

T There is no semblence of a race description in the table,
    my point exactly. discussions about various races with inputs from people (e.g. great limerick run thread currently running) give a fuller picture than any table ever can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

It's also interesting to take into account what the organisers do with the profits. My kids just spent the weekend playing in a great new playground in Achill which was built with part of the proceeds from the half-marathon last year :) . This was one of a number of grants given to local groups and two national charities. Although the Achill half is on the expensive side at €60 it is well run, the run itself is spectacular and it is good to see that some of the monies raised goes to good causes - all on the website.

Disclaimer - I love the place anyway !

Getting back to the value for money aspect. I'm surprised that you make no comment on one of the few objective comparisons that can be drawn from the table, namely the range of prizes on offer on the respective websites/flyers.
    but what is a prize? I have some pretty ugly towels / body lotion sets / candles from various races. I'm not sure how many people care about the depth of prizes?

my point exactly.
    Now that's taking things out of context. What was said was
    There is no semblence of a race description in the table, no judgement of any sort.

Perhaps I should have said: There was no intention whatsoever to include a description in the table of any of the races in any form whatsoever.

Yes, I've been following the Limerick thread. Getting reports from the race since last evening. I wasn't there, so i'm not going to get involved. It'll be intersting to see how things pan out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Should also be noted that it is possible for a commercial race to be done cheaply as well with the Dublin Half down at the bottom of the list. That is admitedly a promotion race for the DCM though which is a touch more expensive. But DCM's €70 I think is still not too bad a deal compared to Rotterdams €40 for what you get for your money for example.

Similarly, noone can deny the imra races are great value for money, the ryanair of races but you need to reccie courses and will probably run tracts of the race along.

The IMRA leinster league races (which by far the majority of people do) are not at all like that, fully marked, busy etc.

I see where you are coming from, but your dislike of the table seems to have made you grasp at random non issues to try to discredit it. It's just a table showing how much costs are, there is no doubt they have gotten out of control in recent years for no real reason. A lot of them are now getting up toward triathlon prices and appear to be being run for profit.

Saying the cost of a bus justifies the difference between 70 for a race and 20? Cmon. Conemara is a great race mostly because it's a bit smaller and the scenery is nice, but they've had plenty of organisational problems in spite of charging so much.

Condo I think we're going to have to continue to disagree on this. You feel there is a validity in selecting certain elements of a race to compare, I don't feel this is enough to make any comparison (whether judgement is intended or not) valid.

For the record, I organise 2 races, 1 costs €15 with the entire money going to safety (and prizes for 20% of the field being sponsored), the other is free through support from the council. I'm also involved less centrally in the organisation of about 20 races, none of them are for profit/company organised so if I was being selfish a table based on costs would make my races seem fantastic.

copacetic wrote: »
    The IMRA leinster league races (which by far the majority of people do) are not at all like that, fully marked, busy etc.

I see where you are coming from, but your dislike of the table seems to have made you grasp at random non issues to try to discredit it. It's just a table showing how much costs are, there is no doubt they have gotten out of control in recent years for no real reason. A lot of them are now getting up toward triathlon prices and appear to be being run for profit.

Saying the cost of a bus justifies the difference between 70 for a race and 20? Cmon. Conemara is a great race mostly because it's a bit smaller and the scenery is nice, but they've had plenty of organisational problems in spite of charging so much.

fair enough on the imra races. I'm far from an expert. and I was just saying yesterday that I think the one's I've done have been fantastic. And I absoultely agree that races need to provide value for money. With so many events in the calendar these days competition is going to be fierce.

However, I still strongly believe that a table is never going to be able to capture the essence of any event the way a discussion will. I guess to a certain extent, it comes down to whether you believe "atmosphere" is quantifiable?

However, I still strongly believe that a table is never going to be able to capture the essence of any event the way a discussion will. I guess to a certain extent, it comes down to whether you believe "atmosphere" is quantifiable?

I totally agree that the table can't capture the essence of the events. However it's a very fair and correct comparison between races.

Maybe it will encourage race organisers to be clearer about exactly how much they give to charity, exactly what the 'goody bag' contains etc, etc.

Or maybe we could add a boards.ie 'runners rating' to a table starting with the above. Everyone knows races can be expensive but still be good value, but in my experience, there is little value that can be added to the average half marathon.

but what is a prize? I have some pretty ugly towels / body lotion sets / candles from various races.
    True. Worst I've ever seen (imho) was a feather duster. In fairness, most races do offer good prizes, for small money. On the other hand, what do you reckon of races in the table that offer prizes only for first man and first woman?
    I'm not sure how many people care about the depth of prizes?
    Now that's a question a lot of people would like a definitive answer to! Sure, in most races, the majority of people aren't going to be in with a realistic chance of a prize. However, in masters categories, it is much more open. Many of the listed races offer no masters categories whatsoever.

• Advertisement

feather duster
    brilliant :-)

Very interesting debate btw so even if we're coming form different sides, interesting to hear another pov.

I'd like to see a goodie bag contents column which can mean something to people. Eg is there a technical t-shirt, and can you chose the size. Personally I think they are pointless but if there is one it makes up for part of an extra charge.

Eg paying 40 for a race and getting a runners mag, some compeeds, a gel, a sports drink, a technical tee and some bodyglide/vaseline could be considered good value by some.

Although I do note that races are very slow to give these type of details in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I did imra races at the weekend. The best 7 euro in town (or country). The prizes are token enough - box of chocies, bottle of wine etc. Lets just say you don't run these races if its the prize that you are after. Its for the love of running, in the hills in particular. For the winner theres a certain prestige about having your name in the records as the winner of a special race.

Advertisement