Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TE stick

Options
  • 02-05-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Hey got one of these yesterday and had a couple of games with it. Is it just mine or is it harder to push the stick upwards than it is to push it downwards?did I get a flimsy stick?

Ifi pull the stick up a bit I can push it upwards no problems but can't really do that whilst playing.

Also any tips for a stick newbie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Eeeeeeeeeh your saying its not registering the up direction unless you use force? Now that sounds odd, maybe one of the microswitches is borked.

The stick that comes in the TE (Sanwa JLF 8 or something) is a very sturdy stick, they're not flimsy at all they're Japanese arcade quality parts built to withstand that envirorment

So its odd that thats happened. I'm no stick expert so maybe someone else here can tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Might be an idea to bring it to the casuals this week and get someone to have a gawk at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Considering the price you paided for it I'd ask for a new stick in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Here's a video of me pressing the stick

hope that kind of makes it a bit clearer.

It definitely should'nt be like that. You could get it repaired but if you have the receipt you're well within in your rights to march in and demand a refund or a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

yup straight back to the shop with it!! dont open it to have a look or you will void your warranty

thanks guys, looks like it will be a refund, as it was the last one in the shop.

thanks guys, looks like it will be a refund, as it was the last one in the shop.

Now I know how Charlie Bucket felt when the last golden ticket was found.Even if I had the money... the dream's over for me.

there were plenty in HMV in grafton street yesterday, but were 169 euro, i got the last one in gamestop in stephen's green it was 149 euro.

think i'll just buy a new one online. anyone got any recommendations on where to buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

really? i didnt ever see gamestop selling these sticks? only bricks and mortar that sell em are hmv!

• Advertisement

really? i didnt ever see gamestop selling these sticks? only bricks and mortar that sell em are hmv!

yup i remember about 2 weeks ago i was in hmv and saw a TE stick (wasn't round 2) for about 80 euro.

was in stephen's green yesterday and saw this TE round 2 stick for 140 and said i'd go down to hmv to check to see if they had the one for 80 euro, they only had the round 2's at 170euro. so i went back to gamestop and bought that one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

there were plenty in HMV in grafton street yesterday, but were 169 euro, i got the last one in gamestop in stephen's green it was 149 euro.

think i'll just buy a new one online. anyone got any recommendations on where to buy one?

Creamy ol bud. Thought you were dead or something. :D

I got mine for 100 from amazon in a sale. The older models are cheaper but have the exact same parts.

Creamy ol bud. Thought you were dead or something. :D

I got mine for 100 from amazon in a sale. The older models are cheaper but have the exact same parts.
    nah not dead, just got a job and couldn't stay up all night in the noc forum :pac:.

thought i'd give this old street fighter lark a go, i loved II, and bought IV with a fightpad but wasn't the same. given it one last go with SSFIV and a stick, have to admit i'm ten times better than my ****ty joypad playing and still getting destroyed online but i'm putting that down to me not being able to control my jumps cause of this stick ;)

nah not dead, just got a job and couldn't stay up all night in the noc forum :pac:.

thought i'd give this old street fighter lark a go, i loved II, and bought IV with a fightpad but wasn't the same. given it one last go with SSFIV and a stick, have to admit i'm ten times better than my ****ty joypad playing and still getting destroyed online but i'm putting that down to me not being able to control my jumps cause of this stick ;)

I immediately enjoyed 4 alot more when I moved over to stick myself.

If you want to get good quick, come along to our casuals sometime. Most of the lads will kick your head in but give you hints as they do it. Suddenly online isn't so scary anymore :)

I immediately enjoyed 4 alot more when I moved over to stick myself.

If you want to get good quick, come along to our casuals sometime. Most of the lads will kick your head in but give you hints as they do it. Suddenly online isn't so scary anymore :)

it might do that, now to check when the next one is on :)

it might do that, now to check when the next one is on :)

Every Saturday in the XGC from about 2 pm and most Weds too after work (although check here as sometimes no one is able to go).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Hmmm I wonder if the shop will let people buy a broken TE on the cheap, a broken stick would take 5 mins to replace with a working one and away we go :D

doubt it they'll get a full refund from the supplier... now saying that i dont know what the cost price is on one of them

Sagat06 wrote: »
    doubt it they'll get a full refund from the supplier... now saying that i dont know what the cost price is on one of them

Kind of irrelevant in this case!

In laymans terms the sales of goods and supply of services act from 1980 states that goods should be fit for purpose within a reasonable period of time and if not a suitable rememdy should be provided by the seller (not the manufacturer)- as long as the customer has proof of purchase.

The remedy should be either repair, replacement or refund.

The crap thing about the sales of goods act is it doesn't define what a reasonable period of time is or whether the customer or the reseller gets to decide which of the 3 r's is satisfactory.

Effectively though I do not see them repairing the stick, and if they don't have one to swap it for it'll have to be a refund. As for a reasonable period of time, it's usually a year to 2 for electronics.

Important to note is that gift tokens have no legal standing. In this case Creamy doesn't have to accept them, unless he has no proof of purchase, in which case they could be offered as a goodwill gesture and nothing more.

Man I don't miss the old retail manager job at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

yup i remember about 2 weeks ago i was in hmv and saw a TE stick (wasn't round 2) for about 80 euro.

Seriously :eek:

bummer

• Advertisement

<snip>

I know I was talking to sisko about getting the knockdown price after its returned... but I enjoyed your education none the less ;)

Sagat06 wrote: »
    I know I was talking to sisko about getting the knockdown price after its returned... but I enjoyed your education none the less ;)

I'll just go hide in a corner. :o

Guys played a bit more with the stick last night and today and it's much much better. It seems to have fallen into place - if that makes sense - and I can now press it up with the same amount of ease that I can pull it down. I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, I work near stephens green so will be no hassle bringing it back.

I even won four ranked battles in a row was beaten on the fifth the fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hmm funny this topic should come up. I also bought a TE Round 2 stick in HMV last week and it doesn't seem to be working too well. The RT and LT buttons sometimes become unresponsive mid match or the character might keep moving in a direction despite the stick being in the neutral position.

Thing is that it's really quite sporadic so if I bring it back and they test it they'll probably think I'm lying.

Also if I remove controller cord and plug it back in again it's fine. As you can imagine though that's not something thats easy to do mid-match.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Creature wrote: »
    Hmm funny this topic should come up. I also bought a TE Round 2 stick in HMV last week and it doesn't seem to be working too well. The RT and LT buttons sometimes become unresponsive mid match or the character might keep moving in a direction despite the stick being in the neutral position.

Thing is that it's really quite sporadic so if I bring it back and they test it they'll probably think I'm lying.

Also if I remove controller cord and plug it back in again it's fine. As you can imagine though that's not something thats easy to do mid-match.
    Any thoughts?

The buttons going, especially the RT, is something of a known problem. No one knows exactly what happened but my guess is somewhere along the line there was a software update of some kind which borked Mad Catz sticks.

I've never heard of the moving problem. However it sounds like it could be lag. Does it ever happen offline?

Orim wrote: »
    The buttons going, especially the RT, is something of a known problem. No one knows exactly what happened but my guess is somewhere along the line there was a software update of some kind which borked Mad Catz sticks.

I've never heard of the moving problem. However it sounds like it could be lag. Does it ever happen offline?

You know I mst have put 100 hours in with my round 1 and I haven't had it yet.

Touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

You know I mst have put 100 hours in with my round 1 and I haven't had it yet.

Touch wood.

The buttons? Its a weird problem but it's there alright. Seems to happen less with the round one TEs and the SEs but it happens alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Regarding the buttons, what I would recommend to ALL Madcatz 360 stick owners is to open the stick and switch the button order from
    *Controller A*
    X--Y--RB--LB
    A--B--RT--LT

to
    *Controller B*
    X--Y--LB--(whatever)
    A--B--RB--(whatever)

It'll only take you 5 minutes with a flat-head screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Orim wrote: »

The movement thing only happened twice and both online so yeah could be lag.
    The button thing has happened both online and off so thats a hardware thing for sure. Since it's a known problem maybe Madcatz have an answer, I'll call customer support tomorrow.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Regarding the buttons, what I would recommend to ALL Madcatz 360 stick owners is to open the stick and switch the button order from
    *Controller A*
    X--Y--RB--LB
    A--B--RT--LT

to
    *Controller B*
    X--Y--LB--(whatever)
    A--B--RB--(whatever)

It'll only take you 5 minutes with a flat-head screwdriver.

Do you think this might fix the problem I described? I dunno how comfortable I'd be opening the thing. I can't even wire a plug :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

As far as I know, there is no complete solution to the problem, so Madcatz wont be able to help. Feel free to call though, and tell me what they say. I've had the aul freezing buttons a few times too.

The method Kiki is suggesting there is simply to move both Trigger buttons over to the far right of the stick so that you dont use them anymore. As it's only the Triggers that are dodgy, reassigning your buttons in the game to use LB and RB as your fierce hits removes the chance that they wont work in the middle of a match.

Advertisement