Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais bill issue

Options
  • 02-05-2010 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

My bill issue is that I have never had one.

Basically, when I moved into my flat, i signed up to Bord Gais and signed up for their direct debit. I had to give a €400 deposit anyway, which I thought weird. I got not bill from them but didn't really think too much about it. Actually, i didn't really notice it as I just assumed that the direct debit was being taken out each time. This was to be taken out from a different account I have which all bills come out from , not my general use bank account.

I have since discovered that they have never charged me for anything in the last year and a half. my girlfriend is at me to ring them and sort this out since they have all my bank details but I am now quite worried that I get a bloody massive bill.

What I want to know is if I have any rights about this? I have a letter from them confirming my direct debit and that they will be deducting the money from it so it is purely their fault.

Will this mean anything or will I just have to fork it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

So you are wondering will you have to pay for what you have used?

I would think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

reprazant wrote: »
    my girlfriend is at me to ring them and sort this out

Take her advice and sort it out, because you will have to pay for everything you have used. Find out how much it is, see if they'll use the €400 deposit against the current amount, then work out a payment plan and period for the remaining amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I expect to see a "Why is my gas bill so high since the new tenant moved in?" thread appearing soon. OP as jor el says contact them soon and get it sorted, you already know it can only get worse if you don't. It being their fault is irrelevant you still owe them for the service you signed up to and used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Yeah, pretty much thought that.

Will get onto them tomorrow.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have they sent you anything demanding payment?

I mean, if I read this correctly, they haven't been paid in 18 months? Thought they would have been on to you with legal threats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

reprazant wrote: »
    I have since discovered that they have never charged me for anything in the last year and a half. my girlfriend is at me to ring them and sort this out since they have all my bank details but I am now quite worried that I get a bloody massive bill.

I agree with your GF, give them a ring!

Had a similar problem with the ESB. Set-up direct debit, got letter of conformation with correct bank details. Bill was show as paid each time we go a new one. Took us well over a year to notice that the money was not coming out of our bank! Called ESB and they had been taking the money from some other poor sods account. Told them that we were not in a position to pay out a lump sum and they agreed to €50 per month until it will be paid off.

As a side, we were in the process of switching to Airtricity at the time and confirmed that this issue would not be a problem but when we switched the ESB closed our account and took the total amount from our bank account!
    Took the wife 3 days and many phone calls to get it credited back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I thought you only had to pay a deposit with them if you were using an alternative method of payment. No deposit required if direct debit is used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Genghis_Khan

Hi Reprazant

Just wondering what happened with your no bills from Bord Gais issue?

I joined, set up direct debit, thought nothing of it until i had the heating on so much in the snow, and have just gone back through my bank statements and nothing has been taken out since Nov 09.

Now i'm dreading a massive bill, What happened with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

hey we changed over to bord gais eleccy too, got the bill after the first two months and then we didnt get another bill for another four months which was astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

that's unbelievable! i'm with bord gais and never had any problems. however i'm anal about watching for my bills coming out. you're all going to have to put it down to experience. i've had some past upsets with utilities so you learn to keep an eye on stuff. best of luck all of you with your bills....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi Reprazant

Just wondering what happened with your no bills from Bord Gais issue?

I joined, set up direct debit, thought nothing of it until i had the heating on so much in the snow, and have just gone back through my bank statements and nothing has been taken out since Nov 09.

Now i'm dreading a massive bill, What happened with you?

You should contact them instead of leaving it any longer. It will be pretty big after that amount of time, but they'll probably be able to come to some arrangement with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Had a friend that this happened to with ESB. The final piece of paperwork got lost. He thought it was great.

He's now paying off €4500 over 2 years!:mad:

At least they should allow a payment scheme rather than you having to stump up the lot in one go. - Or if you have the cash, you could haggle a little:D

It also happened to me but with eircom in 1998/99. No bill for a year and a half. They finally copped it but unless they went through tons of records, they would not be able to bill me - they said it was my lucky day! :)

Advertisement