Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epilepsy

Options
  • 02-05-2010 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,
    My 18 month old Alaskan Malamute had a seizure today and is currently in the vets for one-two nights observation. The vet mentioned epilepsy and I am curious if anyone has a dog with the condition? If so can you give me some information on how/if this has affected your dog (well being/behaviour). I am worried sick, my dog is my best friend. I know he is in the best place but I cant help being terrified for him :( Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Hi Mags, sorry to hear your dog is unwell. I have a spaniel/ collie cross that has epilepsy too. She started having seizures around 12-18 months (we got her when she was about 8 months). It was very scary the first time it happened! And there's not much you can do for them when they are having a seizure, so it's very upsetting. She had seizures on an off for a couple of years. The distemper vaccine set her off again, so that was a no no. She's 7 now, and has only had one small seizure (her head barely tipped the floor before she was back to normal again) in the past 2 years or so.

I'm not a vet, so take this as just my own experiences. But my dog has a mild case of epilepsy that she seems to have mostly grown out of. Maybe ask your vet about how severe he thinks it is, and if it's a life-long issue. It never affected her behaviour...except her wanting a big cuddle after the seizures. I think intially she was very confused as to why it was happening, and thought perhaps she had been bold or something. Just make sure you reassure her after a seizure. But otherwise it didn't have a huge affect on her life or mine.

My fingers are crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Hey Mags firstly i just want to say sorry to hear you dog is ill!

Like Medievalist this is my own experience with an epileptic dog but unlike Medievalist's dog we had the latter end of the stick and had a bad case of epilepsy on our hands. Dog was healthy as can be and one evening when my dad went to feed him and his sister he was thrashing about out in the run. At first we thought he was poisoned but we soon found out otherwise. He lived to be 6 and this was just before his first birthday. Medicine all his life. Even though we saw what his fits were like still they frightened us. He could have anything from mild headaches, closing his eyes and putting his head down and whimpering, to zoning out and nothing could get his attention, to full on thrashing and snapping fits. We used to have to get behind him and hold his head so he wasn't banging it off the ground etc, cause he did damage one day we didn't get to him in time. When he wasn't fitting he was like any other dog, pleasant ole fella. But his health did deteriorate over time and eventually when he got taken in to vet as he got bad i think the vet gave him a bit too much pain killer if you know what i mean.

I don't mean to scare you but this is our experience of it and totally different to one posted above just so you know what MIGHT come, but i really hope it does not come to that!

Best of luck with your dog, and keep us updated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Hi Mags.
    So sorry to hear about your poor dog, i really hope he'll be allright.

I have a four year old boxer. About 4 weeks ago she started having fits. In the beginning they were not very severe and would only last about 30 to 40 seconds. we brought her to our local vet (who unfortunately didnt diagnose her with epilepsy) and we were treating her for the wrong thing. Because of this she unfortunately had more fits. The fits were getting more severe (she had 4 fits in the space of 7 hours). At this stage we were at our wits end, the fits were so bad that she wasnt really able to stand up or walk after them. She seemed very disorientated, almost like she was drunk and she was pressing her head against the wall in the corner of the room. We brought her to a veterinary clinic about 25 miles away. The vet there was brilliant. He asked us to leave her with him for the day and he would do blood tests. We reluctanty left her there and went back to collect her that evening. Vet told us while we were gone that she had two more fits and in his opinion the fits were "very severe". He started her on a very high dose of medication for epilepsy. She was on 60mg phenobarbitone tablets 4 times a day (so 240mg overall) and also 2ml of potassium bromide once a day. The poor thing was really out of it on the medication. She was so sleepy but at the same time really restless and agitated. Her legs were really wobbly (like jelly) and she found it hard to keep her balance. She was also extremely hungry. (which isnt like her at all, she's normally really fussy). She didnt want me or my husband near her (which again is so not like her, she's our little baby normally!) She even started getting a little bit aggressive towards us. Kind of growling at us and just really not what she's normally like. She was on this really high dose for a week and thankfully since on this medication had not had any more fits. I was nearly gone out of my mind with worry. Thought she would never be the same dog again. I can honestly say I spent most of that week crying.
    Anyway, a week later we brought her back for more blood tests so that the level of medication in her blood stream could be checked. The vet rang us a couple of days later to say that the levels were way too high and that we could drop the medication by half. She is now on 2 X 60mg phenobarbitone tablets and 1ml of potassium bromide. Since the medication has been dropped she is so much better. Practically back to her old self, very loving and affectionate and just a happy dog. She has been on medication now for 3 weeks and she has not had any more fits THANK GOD. So please god she will not get them anymore. fingers crossed.

If your dog does have epilepsy then dont worry, he will be ok. As long as he gets medication for it, it can be controlled and he will be fine. If he is put on medication for it, dont be disheartened if he seems very drugged up at the start. It seems to take a week or two for this to wear off. Please update us on how he is doing. I really hope he'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MagsW

Hi all, thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate the information. I collected Angel (my dog) at the vets yesterday and he is in great form thank God, apart from being a little drowsy from the medication. The vet has prescribed Bayril for a few days as she thinks the seizure may have been a once off due to trauma sustained on Friday (a horse chased Angel and knocked him over). Personally I'm not so sure because Angel was out of sorts all day Wednesday and Thursday. Then he was fine on Friday before and after the incident and fine on Saturday and Sunday (up until the seizure) which is indicating to me that perhaphs on Wednesday and Thursday he may have been in the "prodome stage". I guess time will tell but I am hoping and praying it was just a once off incident, he is eating and drinking fine and is his usual happy self. I am keeping a really good eye on him and nursing him back to health. Again I thank you all for your input, all the very best to you all and your dogs. I will keep you posted.

Mags and Angel

Advertisement