Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business and economics in one year?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

I've always liked business theory and I already know have a basic understanding of economics (Thanks to the recession :D). I got an A in Junior Cert business but didn't continue with it in 5th year because stupidly I thought business in the LC would have Accounting like it did in the JC. I despised accounting and didn't do a single accounting question on the Junior Cert paper (I still got an A, mind you ;))

I've heard Business is fairly long but that isn't really an issue for me as it's pretty much common sense and rote learning which I wouldn't have an issue with.

As far as I know economics needs a bit more understanding but it's far shorter with a flexible and predictable test.

Are both of these subjects doable provided I start working through it from this Summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Economics - yes you can afford to leave out certain parts of the course and still have no problem getting a good result

Business - maybe not, quite a long course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Economics - yes you can afford to leave out certain parts of the course and still have no problem getting a good result

Business - maybe not, quite a long course
    I know it's long but I think I may be able to manage it. Looking at past exam papers in business the test looks surprisingly very easy. I know you have to give in depth detail but the questions are about things that i'm familiar with already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I know it's long but I think I may be able to manage it. Looking at past exam papers in business the test looks surprisingly very easy. I know you have to give in depth detail but the questions are about things that i'm familiar with already.
    I'm doing Business as a repeat this year. I only started studying it properly after Crimbo, but I'm doing great at it now. Well doable.

I dropped economics after 2 classes...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

If you are studying any subject over the summer I would say you can be ahead of where the 6th years are in september. Bear in mind if you are studying 2 subjects you need 3.5 times less time than the 5th years did to cover the same thing. They have studied a subject for 35 weeks so you only need 10 weeks to cover the same material in 2 subjects. So 10 weeks hard graft from June 1 and then a 2 week bender the end of august

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cant speak for economics because I never did it.
    Business can be learned in a year with alot of effort. In 5th year we covered 5 of 7 units and with our new teacher this year started all over again but were still finished by the end of march. Leaving out stuff in any subject is risky but in business you can, in theory. There are 7 questions to do 5, if you feel you must leave something out I reccomend units 6 or 7. Another thing is know units 3,4 and 5 inside out for the abq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would have thought Business to be one of the easiest subjects at higher level but it's five years since I did my leaving. I'd say you'll easily catch up over the summer, it's not a very technical course at all but you do need to go about answering questions in a particular fashion to get good marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I'm repeating and took up economics this year for the craic. I love it.I do business aswell so they do kinda mix together with the EU, international trade, etc.
    I would recommend it if you're good at remembering loads of detail. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Business is doable in a year, focus on the exam questions and you'll be fine.
    I'm going to go against the grain and say Economics isn't easy to get a good mark in. In fact, it's quite unpredictable and so parts are really tough to understand. Fair enough, if you get full marks in the shorts and 2 longs it's a B2 but they're very specific in what they want thus meaning you need to understand things perfectly.

Can anyone recommend good business and economics books then?

I want something that covers the course and ONLY the course, I don't anything with a tonne of extraneous material that will only waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Can anyone recommend good business and economics books then?

I want something that covers the course and ONLY the course, I don't anything with a tonne of extraneous material that will only waste my time.
    My book's pretty good. Not sure of the name exactly, but the author's William Murphy.

Still don't know why you're doing economics. Everything as to be word for word and whatnot.

• Advertisement

theowen wrote: »
    My book's pretty good. Not sure of the name exactly, but the author's William Murphy.

Still don't know why you're doing economics. Everything as to be word for word and whatnot.
    The test looks pretty short and I have a mild interest in economics and if i'm doing business I may as well tag on economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

Business is as hard as any other LC subject - they compensate for the simplicity of the material with a ridiculously stringent exam. It has one of the lowest a1 rates in the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Interzone wrote: »
    Business is as hard as any other LC subject - they compensate for the simplicity of the material with a ridiculously stringent exam. It has one of the lowest a1 rates in the LC

Indeed, only too true.

One has to go about answering the questions in a certain fashion. The questions can be quite vague sometimes e.g "Discuss TQM in the Business" - dont where to start or stop or what they want or how much they want. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Alkers

Agreed you have to learn how exactly to go about answering the questions and a lot of people fall short in this regard. I got an A2, got full marks in everything bar the MCQ, can't remember what mistake I made their but it cost me dear! Whatever about the A1s I still rate is as the easiest subject I did.

Advertisement